If anyone was worrying about benefits

Sorry I didnt realize this thread was to discuss who was entitled to what and what people thought of how much people where getting. I thought it was a help thread.

Thats a little harsh! Its just a discussion, nobody has been nasty, were discussing the cap, what will happen as a result etc.

I'm sick of everyone on benefits being tarred with the same brush. I'm a single mum of 1.. I have to make the sacrifice to stay living at home with my mum just so I can afford extras and get myself on my feet(with debt etc) as I know as soon as I get my own place I will be really skint. Its not the life I wanted but its happened & I really can't wait to get a job, but due to the 'economic crisis' theres by far more people out of work then there are jobs! Its not as simple as just getting a job.. unless you've been in the situation u wouldn't know. People are lucky to have jobs these days!! I also understand peoples frustration when they work hard and you do get the ones in the minority ripping off the system... I don't actually know how they manage it because to me, the benefits I receive are the minimum. Benefits definitely aren't an easy life for most!!

ETA: Carol off loose women has really pissed me off today with her views on this subject!!

I'm sick of everyone on benefits being tarred with the same brush. I'm a single mum of 1.. I have to make the sacrifice to stay living at home with my mum just so I can afford extras and get myself on my feet(with debt etc) as I know as soon as I get my own place I will be really skint. Its not the life I wanted but its happened & I really can't wait to get a job, but due to the 'economic crisis' theres by far more people out of work then there are jobs! Its not as simple as just getting a job.. unless you've been in the situation u wouldn't know. People are lucky to have jobs these days!! I also understand peoples frustration when they work hard and you do get the ones in the minority ripping off the system... I don't actually know how they manage it because to me, the benefits I receive are the minimum. Benefits definitely aren't an easy life for most!!

This is what most of us are saying, those who screw the system seem to have loads, and the people who really really need it, get screwed over, i have been on benefits for a few months and it was horrible, the money was terrible, i was looking for work yet there were others in there turning down jobs because they didn't fancy it.

Carol Mcgiffen needs a slap.

I dont think any one gets 500 a week in benefits all together ??

I think they do you know, if their monthly rent is high enough, coupled with council tax benefit, child benefit, income support etc. With enough children and an expensive enough house it can easily get to 500 x

Agree, someone I know is ranting on FB because she has 6 kids, she doesn't work, gets her rent paid etc.
She can get a job, all her kids are of school age. She just claims she is looking after her son :shrug:

Thats a little harsh! Its just a discussion, nobody has been nasty, were discussing the cap, what will happen as a result etc.
People like you yes are discussing without tarring all with the same brush but some arnt. I just hope more dont come in stating they work for this and that and that people on benefits deserve nothing. That woman with 6 kids could have a number of reasons she is on benefits we dont know this. I know no one here has put down any one I seen worse threads I just hope not to see it in here.

This is what most of us are saying, those who screw the system seem to have loads, and the people who really really need it, get screwed over, i have been on benefits for a few months and it was horrible, the money was terrible, i was looking for work yet there were others in there turning down jobs because they didn't fancy it.

Carol Mcgiffen needs a slap.

Random but I totally agree :growlmad:
I know people unemployed and thousands where fighting for one job here,my dad has to hire teachers for the school and he says it takes weeks to get to the apps and interviews theres that many people. Some people want jobs but are tarred with being lazy and told they cant have nothing not even a small treat as if you mention that on facebook you must get loads of money on the dole according to most.

I think peoples opinions vary on the areas they live in?
I really hate Carol McGriffin. Shes vulgar, crass, makes assumptions about things she knows nothing about and generally offends everyone. & I HATE THAT HORRIBLE PAPER CLIP NECKLACE SHE WEARS!

actually there is loads of jobs, we still bring in workers from overseas because there are no british folk to do the care jobs/cleaning jobs etc that are in abundance.

I think peoples opinions vary on the areas they live in?
I really hate Carol McGriffin. Shes vulgar, crass, makes assumptions about things she knows nothing about and generally offends everyone. & I HATE THAT HORRIBLE PAPER CLIP NECKLACE SHE WEARS!

Totally agree with that. I wonder if she gets child benefit for her toyboy husband!! Silly cow.

There maybe 'loads of jobs' but you can apply for everyone of them..doesn't mean you will get taken on....x

actually there is loads of jobs, we still bring in workers from overseas because there are no british folk to do the care jobs/cleaning jobs etc that are in abundance.

the problem a lot of people face is that due to the high cost of living and childcare etc, the wages they would earn would make it impossible to live. It is a bit of a vicious circle - even the workers in the job centre are telling people they are better off not working as they would not earn enough to live.

What it means is that Child benefit will still be in place, and not affected by anything in regards to the cap (they were going to include it in the £500 a week cap)

The cap means that you get £500 a week benefit MAXIMUM, to include CTC, housing benefit and council tax benefit, however there is exemptions for people who claim working tax credit and some other benefits.

the cap will come into affect in april 2013.

Its basically to stop people who DONT work (or dont want to) having lots of children and a huge expensive house on housing benefit
Perhaps not as cut and dry as that, But to put it simply thats what iv read on it x x

Thanks for clearing that up!

Actually there isn't in my area, don't know about where you live. And the few jobs there are theres soo many people applying for them so the chance of getting 1 is extremely thin.

I don't think we 'bring in' workers from overseas.. the majority of them flood here anyway because of our benefit system and healthcare and then employers take them on for jobs that british folk would be willing to do just because their cheap labour.

the problem a lot of people face is that due to the high cost of living and childcare etc, the wages they would earn would make it impossible to live. It is a bit of a vicious circle - even the workers in the job centre are telling people they are better off not working as they would not earn enough to live.

Mmmmm see i cannot see how that can possibly be the case actually

my OH earns 10k a year

our tax credits are (together) 90 a week

our HB and council tax benefit are based upon our earnings and what the deem a person can live on

Whats really stupid, is that due to the 'single persons allowance' i would get around 15 MORE a week to live on if Liam wasnt here, because apparently it costs 15 Less a week to have two adults in the house.

Admittedly, if you get a job, you are probably not going to be on MORE money than you get from benefits, but your certainly on the same based upon your circumstances.

thats what tax credits are for.

Actually there isn't in my area, don't know about where you live. And the few jobs there are theres soo many people applying for them so the chance of getting 1 is extremely thin.

I don't think we 'bring in' workers from overseas.. the majority of them flood here anyway because of our benefit system and healthcare and then employers take them on for jobs that british folk would be willing to do just because their cheap labour.

Yes, we do bring in workers from overseas and it is almost impossible for them to get benefits, so this 'they come here to steal our benefits' thing is a complete red herring

Feeble....thats poo to be honest,my husband used to work with a lot of polish workers,who claim benefits and also are entitled to claim CB for their children back in Poland!

with tax credits you are eligible for 70% of your childcare fees. After taking that into account for 3 preschoolers at nursery full time I would have to find about £700 to make up the 30%. I would also have to pay rent which is £725, council tax of £115, food for a month approx £500, gas/elec/water £150, phone/internet/tv ect £60, travel to and from work £80 - £100 a month? so far I would need to earn £2350 to cover everything and I would not make that in a cleaning job.

Either wages need to go up or cost of living needs to come down but not everyone wants a life on benefits and not all jobs available are going to be suitable. Its not always about people not wanting to do the jobs but whether they can survive on the earnings.

Thankyou Harveymums... I've also seen it happen, my best friend at school was Portuguese, they got a council house and benefits as soon as they arrived here... most her family are living over here now and I was speaking to her cousin that also got a council house straight away.

Well you get double the tax credits I do, what is this 'single parent allowance'?

I think you'll find it is the case in many areas.

you get more for being a single person than for being in a couple, thats why loads of people pretend to be split up and dont live together (but do really)

I know loads n loads of people who are doing it, because it gets them more money.

p.s - i think that ONE parent staying at home is fair enough, its BOTH parents staying at home that i have issues with, of course kids should be looked after by their mamas, but it does beg the question, why do career minded, working folk have to go back to work after a few months when the state is prepared to pay for benefit claimants to stay at home til their youngest is in school?

Totally unfair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->