If I plan to breastfeed, do I NEED to buy bottles anyway?

Willow87

Reaction score
Just wondering if I should save my money and not bother with bottles an sterlizer since I really want to breastfeed. I know that if things were to get tough I would probably give in! Just wondering what you ladies have done?

I wouldn't bother, as you say it would b e easier to give in. And if you're planning on combining bottle and breast, you're best to wait until you mils supply is in and settled( the first few weeks)

If you plan to pump as well. Im planning on breastfeeding, but will have to eventually pump when I go back to work. Ive decided to strictly breastfeed for a few weeks and start to pump eventually and use bottle as well.

I've been thinking the same thing, will look forward to some advice on this.

H xx

I wouldnt bother.

Breastfeeding is hard the first few weeks and have too easy access to bottles could make you turn to them. If necessary Tesco etc is open pretty much 24 hours a day if your desperate.

No, you really don't need to. If you do need to express in the early days (I did because my daughter didn't latch for the first 6 days), it's best to cup feed anyway. If you do decide you need bottles and a steriliser, you can easily pick them up later. One thing that was a lifesaver for me early on though was a good breast pump. I didn't anticipate we'd have the struggles we did and being able to pump was what helped my milk finally come in and kept my supply up.

I brought a pump and bottles as if there is a emergency I can express and OH can fed baby + I'm not going to bf exclusively when I'm out. It depends on what you want.

I have some on hand for when I start to pump later on down the road. But I would strictly recommend not even looking at them until about a month to a month and a half into breastfeeding, just to make sure you have a well established supply of milk!

No need. Even if you need to pump later on, it's best to wait as long as you can before you do.

I haven't bothered this time. I binned lo's when she switched to sippy cups so will just buy some if and when I need them.
I breastfed my lo for 4 weeks until my doc put me on medication that meant I had to stop, I just popped to Tesco when we left the Dr's surgery and bought bottles/formula etc

I wouldn't bother. By the time both of mine were getting expressed breastmilk I gave them Nuby cups for 3-4 mo old. I guess it depends when you have to go back to work, really.

I want to exclusively bf an not due back to work for 9 months.

No dont think so. It might tempt you to use them when it's better to exclusively bf if you can for the first 6 weeks, even pumping should be held off till around 6 weeks when your supply is established. It's probably good to have a pump though in case you have any supply problems and these are harder to just grab from the shop. But bottles you can get pretty easily if you really need them.

I only have them because I'm going back to work after 12 weeks so I'll have to pump for daycare. And I wouldn't have any yet but my aunt gave me all her Avent bottles etc and I just had to buy new nipples.

No dont think so. It might tempt you to use them when it's better to exclusively bf if you can for the first 6 weeks, even pumping should be held off till around 6 weeks when your supply is established. It's probably good to have a pump though in case you have any supply problems and these are harder to just grab from the shop. But bottles you can get pretty easily if you really need them.

I'm not sure where OP is but in most areas in the UK hospital grade rentable pumps are fairly easy to come by; and manual pumps are sold everywhere, I live in a very small suburb and several pharmacies in town sell the major brands of manual breastpumps as does the supermarket. xx

I have bought them ready for later on when I want to express. I only have them early on so I could spend the money in advance as the pump/bottles I wanted were more expensive. I figures im committed and get that it'll be quite hard at first so won't get tempted just because i have them plus I never want to feed baby formula unless there really is no other option.

Why is it better to only exclusively bf? I see know difference from me bfing and expressing so my oh can get a bond with baby.

I'm not sure where OP is but in most areas in the UK hospital grade rentable pumps are fairly easy to come by; and manual pumps are sold everywhere, I live in a very small suburb and several pharmacies in town sell the major brands of manual breastpumps as does the supermarket. xx

Fair enough. To be fair I have a pump from last time and I haven't looked around this time but here in oz a decent electric pump is over $200 so it's the kind of thing I would plan for a little. But yeah I suppose if you can just get one from the supermarket then you don't really need a pump either.

I plan to BF but I bought a steriliser set that came with bottles etc because it was a good deal.

I anticipate the the first few weeks are hard. However I also know 100% that the best thing for baby isn't breatmilk, it is a calm, relaxed mum who is doing what she is happy with. If breastfeeding works for us then that is what we will do for the first few months. if it doesn't then I will formula feed.

I refuse to be bullied by the 'breast is best' campaign. Yes I know this already, I've watched the DVD and I plan to breastfeed. However I will not feel like I've failed as a new mum simply because I 'gave in too easily because I had bottles in the house'.

To the OP - do what you feel comfortable with. Personally I knew I would need the bottles and steriliser at some point so I preferred to get these before I finished work.

I've got 3 bottles and a manual pump.

I fully intend to breastfeed my little one exclusively and have great will power so I am not worried 'giving in to easy'

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->