If I plan to breastfeed, do I NEED to buy bottles anyway?

I have got some ready as closer to nature essentials kit was on offer in mothercare,so bottles and steriliser were in it

I plan to BF but I bought a steriliser set that came with bottles etc because it was a good deal.

I anticipate the the first few weeks are hard. However I also know 100% that the best thing for baby isn't breatmilk, it is a calm, relaxed mum who is doing what she is happy with. If breastfeeding works for us then that is what we will do for the first few months. if it doesn't then I will formula feed.

I refuse to be bullied by the 'breast is best' campaign. Yes I know this already, I've watched the DVD and I plan to breastfeed. However I will not feel like I've failed as a new mum simply because I 'gave in too easily because I had bottles in the house'.

To the OP - do what you feel comfortable with. Personally I knew I would need the bottles and steriliser at some point so I preferred to get these before I finished work.

^^What she said! I had the hardest time with my first - I persevered for ages with bleeding nipples and baby loosing weight because I felt bullied into it. We tried everything but one night I just needed to sleep so I gave him a bottle if formula and it wad the best thing I could have done for both of us! I have bottles on standby this time just in case - I hope to bf but the thought of having them there and knowing I CAN use tgem if I need to will take a lot of stress away

I'm glad I bought two just in case. I had to go to the emergency room 6 days postpartum, glad I had everything at home ready for my husband, even then I was worried my baby would refuse formula. When I got back I started pumping because I had oversupply and the flow was too much for him, and my husband helped feed him from the bottle at night to give me a break. Then I started to feel better and we stopped with the bottle - big mistake, cause now he doesn't know how to drink from them. Having the bottle and formula didn't tempt me to stop bf at all, in fact, I didn't have to think about formula because I knew I had it prepared should I need it.

If you want to BF, just be resolved, know what to expect, and seek help if you're struggling. Expressing and having your partner give baby some feeds can really help when you're in a rough patch and feeling like you're stuck BF all the time. It does pass though, they will space out the feeds, now I'm actually worried about him not feeding enough he's so distracted.

Why is it better to only exclusively bf? I see know difference from me bfing and expressing so my oh can get a bond with baby.

It's better to feed only from the breast for the first 4-6 weeks because your supply is still being established and pumping/giving bottles can interfere. Of course breastmilk from the boob and breastmilk from a bottle is essentially the same, it's just a matter of having baby physically on the breast for feeds to stimulate the appropriate amount of milk production.

Why is it better to only exclusively bf? I see know difference from me bfing and expressing so my oh can get a bond with baby.

It's better to feed only from the breast for the first 4-6 weeks because your supply is still being established and pumping/giving bottles can interfere. Of course breastmilk from the boob and breastmilk from a bottle is essentially the same, it's just a matter of having baby physically on the breast for feeds to stimulate the appropriate amount of milk production.

I agree my personal experience with my first it caused me to lose my supply. I was not doing it for bonding reasons though we did that other ways it was because my daughters latch and my lack of knowledge split my nipples down the middle and they got infected it lasted 2 1/2 months. I never touched a pump or bottle for my second and we went on to 20 months until a pregnancy hormone aversion to feeding.

Pumping doesn't stimulate the breast in the same way as directly feeding. In some cases it can over stimulate supply; and as most women have an oversupply at first anyway this can make things really crazy, which can lead to baby getting too much foremilk, and blocked ducts and mastitis for the mother. The other possibility is if you're someone who doesn't respond too well to pumps, that a pumping session won't stimulate your supply as well as feeding directly would and in the long run this means your body will produce less milk at that time of day or night that you typically pump, this can particularly cause issues if it is in the first few weeks because the 'memory patterns' are being put in place by how your baby feeds at this stage and if those are interrupted in some way it can cause supply issues down the line. Unfortunately pump manufacturers are quite unethical and they will never ever mention that there are potential drawbacks to pumping for some women xx

Haven't ever bought them and I'm preg with my third. If you need them the store is usually pretty close.

I didn't with my last and so t with this for the reason that you said I would give in too quick there are 24/7 stores around me if needed

From my own experience, I'd say buy them, keep them unopened and return them if not needed. Breast feeding doesn't always work out the way you planned, and it adds unnecessary stress if you don't have the bottles handy just Incase. Hopefully you won't need them, but it's better to be prepared in my opinion. :shrug:

I am planning on bfing, but have also bought bottles & steriliser plus a breast pump so I can pump for if hubby needs to feed baby, or for any other reason. I def don't plan on giving up easily because I have the option of bottles available though.

I bought the Tommee Tippee starter kit when it was at a great price of £50 and I was still pregnant I knew I'd use them eventually, either through pumping or formula feeding.

At 1 week baby's weight was low and I had to express and feed him expressed milk too so I bought a pump and used the kit.

I've been tempted to formula feed for all sorts of reasons in the past couple of weeks but never once did I think "Oh it's so easy because I already have the bottles and steriliser etc."

I'm still BFing.

I'm glad I had them with my first, we ended up needing them within the first 24 hours as lo had facial abnormalities (tongue tie, lip tie, palate deformity and uvula attachment to the back of her tongue) although I was planning on exclusively BF, but although yes 24hr shops are available with the stress I was under, once we were discharged from the hospital I was very pleased I didn't have to divert on the way home there. I pumped for her instead.

This baby, I'm buying new stuff for it as willows is well and truly done for, but again I hope to BF.

Oh and as long as you're feeding your baby somehow, no method should be seen as "failing" or "giving in" this is the origin of many mummies guilt if they have to or choose to bottle feed for whatever reason.

X

I decided not to buy any, as I'm not going to have any formula or a pump on hand to start with either. However, my mom is in town and will be with me so if for some reason I end up needing bottles I can send her to pick some up and sterilize them. Even if she wasn't here I'm sure DH could handle it. If I was completely on my own I might get some "just in case" but there's no reason for me to get them ahead of time at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->