If you are diagnosed with MTHFR, please read!!!

hopes-up-sd

Me, Hubby, 3 MC's, 3 Cats
Reaction score
Hello,
I have just had my third miscarriage.
After my second miscarriage I was diagnosed as having MTHFR contributing to secondary infertility. I was put on FABB (Folgard) tablets and baby aspirin and Metformin.
I have since learned that folic acid is NOT particularly helpful if you have MTHFR- you need folate. Specifically you need l-methylfolate, which is a form your body can use because with MTHFR you have problems converting folic acid to a usable form for fetal development.
Additional symptoms associated with this condition are depression and weight problems and cardiovascular problems.
I wish someone had told me this before I lost my son- He was genetically normal but developed a neural tube defect that caused him to die. These neural tube defects are associated with Folate deficiency. From what I've read, taking synthetic regular folic acid may make it harder for your body to absorb the folate it needs. I was starving for spinach, a natural source of folate, throughout my pregnancy- couldn't get enough of the stuff. Unfortunately, because synthetic folic acid absorbs more readily through the intestinal wall, very little of this natural folate I ate reached my baby, the unusable folic acid got there first.
Folate is essential to healthy DNA replication, which is inherent in baby making.
L- methylfolate supplements are affordable and easy to get from a vitamin store online without a prescription, and there is a prescription prenatal vitamin that has it in it. There's also a prescription antidepressant based on the same science, which might be a healthy antidepressant alternative for women who are pregnant. L-methylfolate is a food based vitamin and thus not patentable. I'm concerned that news isn't getting out because there's no big money to be made by the fertility and pharmaceutical industry in publishing this information. Women with this condition- MTHFR, and men with poor sperm morphology need to know about it!
Here is a link that explains the condition: https://www.neevoprenatal.com/
Please read it- It might save your future baby's life!

thanks for the information.
I hope the other treatments work though as its all I have
they have changed my insurance at work and it is no longer covering a variety of things we were needing to get pregnant.
I do have three kids of my own
but dh has none.
after three life shattering mcs I was dxed with MTHFR (and it sounds like a acronym for the bad work I nearly said when dxed) and the doctor put me on a mega dose of folic acid and several other b vits, a baby aspirin and so on
we are ready to start ttc in jan and hoping it works
There is just no way my insurance is going to cover this.
Good luck!!!
I hope you get your sticky bean
and I am sincerely so sorry for your losses!

You can buy a good sized bottle of l-methylfolate online for about $20 and it's a one month supply that will bypass the MTHFR inability to convert folic acid into the right form of folate for pregnancy. It's worth the cost. A miscarriage is much more emotionally and financially expensive. Plus, this vitamin deficiency is really a medical condition, so fertility problem or not, your insurance should cover the prenatal vitamin prescription supplement- it helps avoid cardiovascular problems and depression as well. Here's a link to buy the supplement, it's where I just got mine: https://www.amazon.com/Life-Extensi...ate-vegetarian/dp/B002R3G8BS/ref=pd_sbs_hpc_4
Good luck!

well thats about the same as what I am currently paying for my prenatal vit any how
thats not so bad but that other stuff was super expensive!!
Thanks!

I am very sorry for your losses. It's a terrible thing to go through even once. Three times is almost unbearable...
I hope this supplement makes a difference for us both next time! Here's to sticky healthy beans!!!

Thank you
I am wtt in Jan
I am praying that it works this time.
I will drop a prayer for you as well.
God bless!!

That is ONLY TRUE if you have polymorphism! If you are heterozygous, you can and will turn Folic acid into folate. You will be able to use it. Taking NEEVO without making sure you have the right indications for it is dangerous, and can cause you to hemorrhage in labor.

Dan'ls Wifey, I know this was posted a long time ago but can you explain more? I am hetero and take mg of folic acid a day, I am really nervous after all of the reading I have been doing online I am 28 weeks pregnant with twins (everything is ok with them) but I don't want to do any harm by taking so much Folbee.

Thank you!!

I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you so much for posting this information. I have had 2 misscarriages and found out I have Mthfr, single mutation after my first misscarrriage. Both of my misscarriages were at 6 weeks and 1 day. I will check out the link you pointed out and post any helpfull info I find too.

I was just diagnosed with homozygous MTHFR a couple of weeks ago, and I've found this out too. In fact, I've found several Dr sources that say that folic acid is a synthetic that's not really all that good for ANYONE. If you want more information, here's a couple of video's to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1sdwLCo3Q and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv9PO9qVO6M

I've switched both my prenatals, and my folic acid to the active forms (which anyone can use) similar to what the OP listed. It's a bit scary how much the pharmaceutical community can get away with in the name of saving a few bucks...truth in advertising? Not so much in these cases...

This is a very informative topic! Thank you, hopes-up-sd!

I have MTHFR, too (heterozygous).I find this blog useful: https://mthfrliving.com/ :)

Yes, we should definitely take FOLATE instead of folic acid! Most doctors use outdated information and prescribe high doses of folic acid, it's wrong.

This is doctor's advice for anyone who has this gene mutation:
https://mthfr.net/mthfr-c677t-mutation-basic-protocol/2012/02/24/

The biggest differences in recommendations between these two types of mutations are:

folic acid needs to be avoided more seriously by homozygous individuals
the amount of methylfolate required for homozygous mutations is greater
the blood thinning requirement is greater for homozygous individuals

Here are the common recommendations for supporting those with C677T MTHFR mutations:

Limit ingestion of folic acid in fortified foods as you cannot process folic acid well.
Limit or cease taking supplements or drugs with folic acid in them. Talk with your doctor before stopping.
Avoid folic acid blocking drugs such as birth control or Methotrexate.
Avoid drugs which increase homocysteine such as Nitrous Oxide (most used in dentistry)
Avoid antacids as they block absorption of vitamin B12 and other nutrients
Begin understanding which of your symptoms may be related to the C677T MTHFR mutation.
Measure homocysteine levels – properly!
Inform your family members so they can also test for the MTHFR mutation
Find a doctor who is knowledgeable about MTHFR or is willing to learn
If you are pregnant, find an OB/GYN or midwife who is knowledgeable about MTHFR.
Eliminate Gluten from your diet – especially wheat.
Eliminate or reduce Dairy from your diet. If you must have dairy, use Goat milk.
Sauna or sweat somehow (epsom salt baths, sports, yoga..) at least once to three times a week.
Limit intake of processed foods
Increase intake of whole foods and home-prepared meals
Eat the Rainbow of colors from fruits and vegetables – daily
Castor Oil Packs over your abdomen daily during times of pain, soreness, cramps
Vegetable/Fruit Juice Diet with Chia Seeds during times of pain, soreness, cramps
Limit intake of high methionine-containing foods if homocysteine elevated
Coffee Enemas during times of detoxification or pain
Filter chlorine from your drinking water, shower and bath.
Drink at least two liters of filtered water daily mixed with vitamin C and electrolytes.
Eat smaller, but more frequent meals, throughout the day with some form of protein.
Limit protein intake to approximately 0.7 grams protein per kilogram of body weight.
Remove mercury amalgams and root canals with a trained biological dentist.
Avoid cooking, drinking, storing and heating in any type of plastic container.
Use an air purifier in your home and office
Eliminate carpets from your home and install low VOC wood or tile flooring.
Eat grass-fed beef, free range, hormone free and antibiotic meats and eggs
Cook with electric stove and oven and remove gas stove and oven.

General Nutrient Recommendations for C677T MTHFR mutations:

Methylfolate
Methylcobalamin
Betaine in the form of TMG
NAC
Glutathione
Pyridoxal-5-phosphate
Riboflavin
Curcumin
Mixed tocopherals (vitamin E)
Silymarin (Milk Thistle)
EPA/DHA