If you did or are planning to wean at 6 months

sublime_ivy

Reaction score
I'm waiting for 6 months to blw but I was wondering did you or do you plan to do it when they hit 6 months to the day or just whenever after? Dex is desperate for I think. He can crawl, sit up and pull himself up to standin, grab and put things in his mouth, hold his sippy cup etc. He watches us eat intensley even to the point of coming over to me and pulling himself up to standing using my knee so he can grab the food, he also makes chewing motions and moans when he sees us eating. If I put a spoon near him he lunges for it with his mouth.

I feel cruel making him wait this long. I want to wait it out till 6 months but I dunno if he can hold out much longer. Can I give him food to play with?

Aww don't feel mean :( I think alot of that is just copying you...he sees you do it so he wants to too. We waited til Hayden was 6mo, I think it was actually within a day or 2 of him being 6mo...like either a day or 2 before or after..I'd have to look at the dates on pics to be certain haha. But even though he showed interest and seemed to want it once it was offered and he put it in his mouth he had zero interest, he hated solids for awhile and didn't actually really start eating until 9mo

Ours was slightly before Poppy was 6 months but only because I wanted my OH to be there for her first 'meal' so we did it on a Saturday when he was off work.

I agree with mommyof3co...a lot of that's just copying. He won't understand yet what food is and that it tastes nice or stops him being hungry. From what I understand, the first few weeks of BLW are just about play anyway. I let Ruby play with the odd bit of food as you know, she doesn't eat more than a tiny little bit...

LO was 6 months yesterday, and we are slowly starting weaning soon.

I found this list of things you can do to let baby participate in mealtimes without starting solids, perhaps you could try a couple:
Let baby sit with the family at mealtime - in a lap, booster seat or high chair.
Give baby a cup of water or expressed milk. Your baby can entertain himself at mealtime while learning to use a cup. 1-3 ounces of water in the cup should be plenty (often for the entire day). Many moms choose to use only water or a small amount of breastmilk to avoid wasting the "liquid gold" while baby learns to use the cup.
Offer baby sips of water from your cup or straw. Even if baby hasn't figured out how to use a straw yet, you can put your straw in water, block the top end of the straw with your finger to trap a little water in the straw, then let baby drink the water from the lower end of the straw (unblock the top end once it's in baby's mouth).
Offer baby spoons, cups, bowls and other baby-safe eating utensils to play with during mealtime.
Give baby an ice cube (if it's a baby-safe size & shape) or ice chips to play with.
Offer baby a momsicle (popsicle made from breastmilk) or slushy frozen breastmilk to eat with a spoon.

See:
https://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/solids-when.html#earlyreadiness

Hi, we are waiting 'til 6 months and doing BLW too. I think Freya is getting ready for it, although a few weeks ago she was so far from ready I thought it would be months and months before we started!

She has started waking and feeding 3 hourly in the night (which I know will not be sorted until well after we start solids, as I know they don't actually eat much for ages) but I was sitting feeding her thinking I now know why people wean early, I miss her sleeping 11+ hours, lol. I have always said I don't care if I am feeding her hourly, we are definitely waiting 'til 6 months, but in the middle of the night, when she has been doing this for a month now, I would do anything to get some sleep!!

I think that for this reason we will start at pretty much 6 months on the dot. Also I have a single ripe apple on my tree that I want to be her first food and it will not last much longer!!! :blush: Lol.

We planned to do BLW at 6m too but the last couple of nights we've given Violet some bannana to play with.

She can't even pick it up yet so there's no worry about her eating any of it lol

We'll start 'properly' when she's 6m (I say properly because she's only given a bit of bannana twice, at the evening meal. When we start properly, it'll be a couple of bits of food at every meal). Or that's the plan anyway!

i planned to at 6 months but a week before or two he was eating all the time and alot more than usual so i knew he needed some food to fill him up! my mum always said the baby will tell you when hes ready! and my baby cant sit up on his own yet! now he eats his food and drinks alot of milk but hes a skinny little thing!

thanks guys, i gave him some food (i just put it his his hand) to play with and gobbled it up and looked at me for more. oops. haha

i plan on waiting it out till 6 months tho we will be letting her join in with our meal times once she can sit up etc so she will have a cup with a little water n spoons etc to play with :) i'm soooo excited about it!! sorry to hijack but do we wait till they are 6 calendar months or till they are 24 weeks?? lol probs the most dumb question ever!!!!!

sara

xxxxxxxxx

Lol, I don't know but I am waiting 'til she is 6 months, which I think is 2 days after she is 24 weeks? All I know is that I am counting down to the 10th November!! Freya has a spoon to play with, she has poked herself in the eye more than a few times though, so I'm guessing that's where the food will end up! :rofl:

I was wondering too is it 24 weeks or 6 months, I have started Olivia on weaning now, she just started refusing to take more than 2 or 3 oz of milk, so we are on baby rice and a tiny bit of potato!

My friend's HV told her 24 weeks (which Ruby is) so we've gone on this. I guess 26 weeks is truly 6 months but since we're doing BLW and Ruby is only eating the tiniest amounts, we're starting.

Oh, I was being dozy, I thought you meant 6 months or 26 weeks, not 24 :dohh:

I meant to say 6 months is 2 days after she is 26 weeks, so we will be waiting til then.

:dohh:

i'vi have been reading and i think i will wait until the after the day he was born (the 6th)

Yeah same here. We are waiting 'til sometime after the 10th November, she was born 10th May.

Olivia is really enjoying her food, im glad I waited until she was older as she really seems to know whats happening, I really wouldnt have thought she was ready at 4 months or even 5. Its just such an amazing experience to see her face light up and get excited about a spoon lol x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->