If you use formula, check your water.

what do we do if there is to much flouride in the water :wacko: how do we make up bottles :dohh: slightly panicking now...lol

<3

The problem is, you are not supposedly allowed to use bottled water either (can't remember where i read that) so its a bit difficult not to use tap water

Yeah I've heard that too. I've seen special jugs of "baby water" and always thought it was a con, but now I understand it. It is pretty annoying though for people who live in areas with fluoridated water that use formula. I know for sure my area is unfluoridated, so anyone else who's water comes from North Umbrian water is safe :thumbup:

Aw yay, we are with Northumbrian Water so that saves me contacting them to check! Thank you :thumbup:

xx

a few facts:

https://www.stwater.co.uk/upload/pdf/facts_on_fluoridation.pdf

The biggest concern is that before 6 months infants don't need any fluoride. After that they only need a very small amount, maybe. I personally don't believe that anyone needs added fluoride any more than they need added arsenic to their diet.
The problem is that some people boil their tap water and if it does contain fluoride, the process of boiling will actually concentrate the % of fluoride that their baby is ingesting. It's suggested that if your water is fluoridated you buy the baby water (making sure it's not fluoridated) sold at stores to prevent your infant getting too much fluoride.

Here's some information about how to remove fluoride from your water: https://chemistry.about.com/od/chemistryhowtoguide/a/removefluoride.htm

I use plain old tap water, lol, but from the fridge dispenser so I assume that's filtered.

Looks like my area has it, but im not going to rush out and baby water especially as LO hasn't got any teeth :haha:

Looks like my area has it, but im not going to rush out and baby water especially as LO hasn't got any teeth :haha:

It doesn't matter if they have teeth or not, it affects the entire body and all of the bones. The teeth are just the only place that fluorosis is visible. :flower:

I use plain old tap water, lol, but from the fridge dispenser so I assume that's filtered.

The filter won't remove the fluoride, plus if you don't change the filter every few months it isn't actually filtering out anything anyway. I always hated that about fridge filters, most people hardly ever change them including my parents they never ever did :wacko:

The attitude to flouride is very different in the US to the UK I think. Here, we're told to use adult toothpoaste from the start where I live, flouride is seen as a good thing generally (our water is not flourinated). I use baby toothpaste instead but I can't say I worry about flouride really. If the WHO is not concerned about adding floruide to water than it doesn't really bother me.
One thing though. Floride is in formula itself (Aptamil anyways, which I used). Do they add this or is this naturally occuring? If they add it it seems weird they would add something that's bad for a baby and if it's naturally occuring then surely they would remove it from formula if it's bad?

The attitude to flouride is very different in the US to the UK I think. Here, we're told to use adult toothpoaste from the start where I live, flouride is seen as a good thing generally (our water is not flourinated). I use baby toothpaste instead but I can't say I worry about flouride really. If the WHO is not concerned about adding floruide to water than it doesn't really bother me.
One thing though. Floride is in formula itself (Aptamil anyways, which I used). Do they add this or is this naturally occuring? If they add it it seems weird they would add something that's bad for a baby and if it's naturally occuring then surely they would remove it from formula if it's bad?

Yes I definitely think there is a big difference. In the US the add fluoride to roughly 50% of the country's water supply, among other things that they add. In england I believe most of the places with fluoride in the water it's just naturally occurring rather than added, I could be wrong about that though.
I was also told to use fluoridated toothpaste, the 1000ppm baby kind. I doubt there would be big problems from the small amount in toothpaste but when it's in formula and a baby is having many bottles a day that adds up to be a lot of fluoride inside a very tiny person. Babies retain 80-90% of fluoride they take in and it distributes throughout the body and stores itself in bones. Adults only retain about 60%.

It doesn't matter if they have teeth or not, it affects the entire body and all of the bones. The teeth are just the only place that fluorosis is visible. :flower:

The thing is, im not going to run around panicking and buying baby water, my LO has had formula since birth, so im not going to worry about it now

I bf so Clara's not getting bottles made out of tap water, she does drink it though, roughly 4-6oz a day. Her toothpaste has no fluoride in it though so I'm thinking she's not likely getting too much fluoride that way.

Oh for goodness sake something else for me to worry about by being a member on here! Seriously, I love this forum but it doesn't half scare the shit out of me some of the stuff advised, sometimes unnecessary worrying!

Oh for goodness sake something else for me to worry about by being a member on here! Seriously, I love this forum but it doesn't half scare the shit out of me some of the stuff advised, sometimes unnecessary worrying!

Completely agree :thumbup:

I'm sorry if it's made you upset :flower: I look at it as a necessary type of worrying. Sometimes it is frustrating to find out there's something new to worry about but isn't that better than blissful ignorance until the day you find out there's something wrong with your child that could have been prevented? Now I'm sure this thread won't apply to many people, but what about those few who happen to live in an area with lots of fluoride in the water, who boil it so it's even more concentrated, who also use regular toothpaste, and who don't realize there's also fluoride in regular food so they're giving their baby dangerous amounts. This post was intended to help those who are interested in being helped. I was actually quite shocked at the defensiveness of some of the replies. This isn't supposed to be an argument, it's just information.

I was given a fluoride tablet everyday throughout my childhood..... comes from being a 70's child I imagine. If I remember correctly they tasted quite nice lol!
Just out of interest... can you get fluoride free adult toothpaste?

Thanks to the OP for pointing this out ~ I will check with my HV

Sometimes you wouldnt believe I have 3 children :dohh: Sometimes some B&B threads make me so nervous about 'doing the right things ~ the right way!' :wacko:

Although I do love it on here! ~ :hugs:

I'm sure our health professionals either being health visitors, midwives or doctors would tell us if we needed to prepare our bottles in some special way. I'm sure they wouldn't just leave us to find this kind of info out ourselves.

I was given a fluoride tablet everyday throughout my childhood..... comes from being a 70's child I imagine. If I remember correctly they tasted quite nice lol!
Just out of interest... can you get fluoride free adult toothpaste?

I remember have fluoride tablets a few times when I was little too, they coloured my mouth all pink I loved it :haha:
I've never heard of fluoride free adult toothpaste, although I do remember my dad's hippy girlfriend years ago always using natural products and she had some organic type toothpaste that I don't think had fluoride in it. I did a quick google search and found this: fluoride free adult toothpaste

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->