if you werent preg, would you give up your seat for a preg women?

Also - complications during pregnancy CAN constitute the woman being temporarily disabled & thus entitled to the same treatment as any other temporarily disabled person in the workplace. This is law in UK, US & Canada.

In UK, if u are absent due to pregnancy related illness it is not recorded as normal sick leave and your sick leave record should indicate this.

I reckon if it's law ladies, we should all be acknowledging that pregnancy can be a disability and we have every right to uphold our rights if affected by complications which cause us to be 'temporarily disabled' - including demanding a seat on a bus.

At a show
I personally would have said yeah sure take it and explained to my daughter that someone needed it more than her.

But I wouldn't be pissy if somebody wouldn't give up their child's seat for me, even if it was empty at the time.

It is often uncomfortable for the child to sit on a parents lap for a long period of time and my daughter will only sit on mine at a show when she can't see, and even then its uncomfortable and she moves to her own seat.
In my opinion, if you felt you were untitled more than others to a seat, you should have got to the show earlier and selected a seat.

At a show
I personally would have said yeah sure take it and explained to my daughter that someone needed it more than her.

But I wouldn't be pissy if somebody wouldn't give up their child's seat for me, even if it was empty at the time.

It is often uncomfortable for the child to sit on a parents lap for a long period of time and my daughter will only sit on mine at a show when she can't see, and even then its uncomfortable and she moves to her own seat.
In my opinion, if you felt you were untitled more than others to a seat, you should have got to the show earlier and selected a seat.
I disagree. Give your child your seat then if she is uncomfortable on your lap. I think a pregnant woman would be a lot more uncomfortable standing than a young fit child or a non-pregnant woman.
Setting a good example to our children will make them grow into unselfish, thoughtful adults who are aware of other people's needs instead of it being all about them.

At a show

I disagree. Give your child your seat then if she is uncomfortable on your lap. I think a pregnant woman would be a lot more uncomfortable standing than a young fit child or a non-pregnant woman.
Setting a good example to our children will make them grow into unselfish, thoughtful adults who are aware of other people's needs instead of it being all about them.

I said "I personally WOULD have given up my childs seat" i wouldnt feel obliged to but i would.

But a show? First in best dressed.
I wouldn't dream of taking a small child's seat, or making a child sit without its parent.

At a drs app, transport etc then yes manners come first. But a a show they planned for and had more organisation skills to get there in time for the show to get adequate seating, I don't think it's all about "them" their experience shouldn't have to be spoiled.

But that's just my opinion.

I said "I personally WOULD have given up my childs seat" i wouldnt feel obliged to but i would.

I wouldn't dream of taking a small child's seat, or making a child sit without its parent.

At a drs app, transport etc then yes manners come first. But a a show they planned for and had more organisation skills to get there in time for the show to get adequate seating, I don't think it's all about "them" their experience shouldn't have to be spoiled.

It's not an event with assigned seats, so presumably not pre-booked, hence why it was so crowded, and in that situation seats are usually first come first served. I don't know about you, but even when I'm not pregnant I don't rush to a seat to get there before others. The point is this woman didn't offer her seat to let a pregnant woman and child both sit down - it's not about taking a child's seat, it's about this woman's behaviour, and the fact the child would have witnessed it. Do you think that child will ever learn to give their seat to someone in need? I'm not sure he will.
Personally, my experience would've been spoilt at an event like that if I hadn't let a pregnant woman sit, what sort of person is fine with that? Certainly not someone with a conscience anyway.

It's not an event with assigned seats, so presumably not pre-booked, hence why it was so crowded, and in that situation seats are usually first come first served. I don't know about you, but even when I'm not pregnant I don't rush to a seat to get there before others. The point is this woman didn't offer her seat to let a pregnant woman and child both sit down - it's not about taking a child's seat, it's about this woman's behaviour, and the fact the child would have witnessed it. Do you think that child will ever learn to give their seat to someone in need? I'm not sure he will.
Personally, my experience would've been spoilt at an event like that if I hadn't let a pregnant woman sit, what sort of person is fine with that? Certainly not someone with a conscience anyway.

I'm not saying it wasn't rude. And I wouldn't hesitate to give up my seat. And if I had heard the lady not give her seat up and I was there I would stand and offer mine.

But if someone didn't want to give up a seat for me I wouldn't be enraged about it, in that situating. She may have just been rude or as a pp said there may have been a reasonable reason.
Once there was a long line of people outside of a public toilet and I had my 3 year old who needed to pee, a heavily pregnant lady called me forward to go ahead of her ( she was next in line) and I said, oh honey thank you but I know how badly you must need to go I've been there and she simply said, I know but I would love somebody to have enough kindness not to make my child hold its little bladder. When we came out I saw she had ushered an old lady infront of her too.
Sometimes it's the pregnant ladies who are most considerate to those around them. She was a lovely lady.

I understand what you mean, but I think the reason people get 'enraged' about it, is because it's a very common occurance. Your story about the pregnant lady is lovely, but it's also (sadly) a rarity. I know sometimes once I have seen a certain type of behaviour 4-5 times in one day, I get pretty angry, it's normal. I don't actually yell at these people or anything though, and neither did the lady who posted this thread. I think she said that she was pregnant, and the other woman just ignored her.

I understand what you mean, but I think the reason people get 'enraged' about it, is because it's a very common occurance. Your story about the pregnant lady is lovely, but it's also (sadly) a rarity. I know sometimes once I have seen a certain type of behaviour 4-5 times in one day, I get pretty angry, it's normal. I don't actually yell at these people or anything though, and neither did the lady who posted this thread. I think she said that she was pregnant, and the other woman just ignored her.

I also get what you mean :) I guess I'm just lucky where I live people are friendly and it's very rare someone is rude to a pregnant person..
But when I went on holidays I was appalled by some peoples behavior..

Like in the shopping centres, on more than one occasion people ran into me with their trollies seeing I was pregnant, when a simple excuse me would have sufficed and I would have moved..

i dont feel entitled to priority seating, but like i said the seat was empty, and at an unpaid event as such you make room for everybody. i didnt pick up a fuss just moved on but it hurt my feelings. we got there early, but i also had a two year, who wouldve sat on my lap btw, and getting there too early wouldve been disasterous! my preg arent always easy, not that i expect others to know this, but it just wouldve been nice to see someone who cared. sometimes a little niceness can make someones day! and instead i got rudeness. oh well:)

I live in London & the majority of ppl are assholes! I actually had a guy trip me on purpose as I was getting on the bus because he was pissed off that I had got there last but then the bus stopped in front of me & I got on first, then because I was walkng a little slow he tripped me! I heard him muttering about me 'pushing in'. I turned around & blocked his way with my arm & yelled at him, but he didn't care, he just laughed at me & said nothing. He did get glares at by other commuters, but no-one else said anything either. He didn't even apologise & me being 8 months pregnant, it is fairly obvious that I am not just carrying a few extra kgs!

I live in London & the majority of ppl are assholes! I actually had a guy trip me on purpose as I was getting on the bus because he was pissed off that I had got there last but then the bus stopped in front of me & I got on first, then because I was walkng a little slow he tripped me! I heard him muttering about me 'pushing in'. I turned around & blocked his way with my arm & yelled at him, but he didn't care, he just laughed at me & said nothing. He did get glares at by other commuters, but no-one else said anything either. He didn't even apologise & me being 8 months pregnant, it is fairly obvious that I am not just carrying a few extra kgs!

What a prick! That's like assault! Absolute tosser. Shame you weren't travelling with your OH

Dani, I'm in London too, I have an hour commute everyday, I seriously dread my journey to work every morning & home every evening.
Something that happens to me almost every day, is when a train arrives at the platform (and I'm already standing by the edge to be close to the doors), people rush forward to get to the doors first. I get so many people shove me out of the way, and quite often if it's a woman they will start fiddling with something in their handbag whilst waiting for passengers to get off, and elbow me in the belly as they've pushed in front of me, and they never look behind them. No one has every apologised, and people knock into me all the time without apologising too. I swear I would rather live anywhere else...or maybe just not a city.. somewhere people do not act like robotic sheep.
I think this is a big part of the reason why I've been so miserable during my pregnancy, well that and all the aches and pains. I grew up in the countryside and I really miss manners and kindness for your fellow (wo)man.

I know what you mean Cordelia, Londoners are not nice ppl (most of them anyway!) I have also had more than one person jostle me or push past me & when I yell out at them to watch where they are going because I am pregnant, they just yell back at me & try to start a fight! I also had a woman in peak hr push my bag because it was bumping her while we were walking up the steps out of the tube & pushed so hard I went into the wall, I turned around & said that I was pregnant & did not appreciate that, she then told me I needed to get out of ppls way, I was like, it is bloody peak hour you stupid woman, everyone bumps everyone, so she stood there just shouting at me! That time ppl told her to be quiet tho & asked if I was ok...I have so many stories like this!

I am guessing that you come through Waterloo if you are in Surrey? Worst station ever! I am just near Putney, so have to go that way evry day :p

Aw hun, I feel for you, I know what you mean, there's always something every day. I'm lucky in that I only need to get to Wimbledon for work (rather than central), but I go through Clapham junction and that is absolute hell because everyone who commutes from south seems to go through there! Don't you hate when people don't look up from their phone or papers when they're sitting? I have always looked around to check if anyone needs my seat, even before pregnancy, but there are so few who look up now.

I stay in covent garden 1-2 x per year and whilst I love being the tourist, I do find the natives very ignorant! Sorry!

We avoid the tube etc at peak times as I understand it must be stressful for those who work in London to have tourists milling around when they are trying to get to work or home. However, going out at night to theatre, pubs or restaurants in inner city or outskirts can be so difficult with pushy and ignorant people. Edinburgh is probably the Scottish equivalent though - I find Glasgow a very friendly city (as long as you aren't wearing football colours)

I feel awful for all the ladies who have a horrible time commuting in London. I go into the city once a week (from Oxford) and I get the central line over from Marble Arch to Liverpool St. I wear my 'Baby on Board' badge and have found that EVERY TIME there hasn't been a seat available for me someone has stood up to give me theirs. I've been amazed as I was expecting the opposite.

I just wanted to put that out there - not all Londoners are mean!

Yes. I would, no question about it. Get this, yesterday I was sitting next to my grandma in law in fold out chairs, she was because of her knees, and I was because I was feeling like my baby was gonna fall out (lol tmi!) But It was so uncomfortable to stand up. Well, my DH's uncle's girlfriend, as soon as I got up, stole my seat. I was like "really"... And then granny saw and offered her seat to me, bless her heart, but I declined. She needed it as bad as me, if not worse. But Uncle's GF was like stone. Kept on a poker face like she was there, but not "there". Lmao.. And when we all left to get drinks, she sat firmly outside in that seat, like she knew I'd jump in it if she got up. (and i would've.. XD) but It really ticked me off because me and her are friends, so why would she do that to me? The cow....

Yeah I know, not all Londoners are mean, that's true, but I think if you come across a number of them every day, it's easy to feel like no one gives a crap. I also have a baby on board badge, and weirdly when I have gone on the tube I am more likely to get a seat, but on the train, I might as well have an invisibility badge!

I stay in covent garden 1-2 x per year and whilst I love being the tourist, I do find the natives very ignorant! Sorry!

We avoid the tube etc at peak times as I understand it must be stressful for those who work in London to have tourists milling around when they are trying to get to work or home. However, going out at night to theatre, pubs or restaurants in inner city or outskirts can be so difficult with pushy and ignorant people. Edinburgh is probably the Scottish equivalent though - I find Glasgow a very friendly city (as long as you aren't wearing football colours)

Nice of you to say so Annie, I'm a Glaswegian living in Glasgow. Most people in general are quite considerate of elderly/ pregnant women/disabled etc. but as you as you say be careful what colour you wear the day there is a Celtic v rangers match on lol!
When I was 19 I moved to London for my job and was quite disappointed by how it was 'every man for themselves' especially on public transport but after travelling around the world with my job I've found most big cities have an element of this attitude to be honest. Some are worse than London and over the years I have come across a lot of kind and helpful Londoners too. I just remembered something that happened to me at Gatwick airport years ago before I had children. My boyfriend (now husband) and I had come off a long flight and had been awake for over 24 hours. We had a bit of time to kill before our connecting flight to Glasgow and I could barely keep my eyes open and felt really sick. There were lots of spare seats in the departure loungs and lots of people sleeping across 4 and 5 seats. My oh told me to lie down too and go to sleep but I was worried the place would get busy and I would then be taking up a lot of the seats so we went to a row of 3 seats and my oh sat on one, I sat next to him and had my shoes off and feet tucked up at the side of me on the other seat. I put my head against my oh and fell into a deep sleep. A while later I was woken up with someone hitting the bottom of my feet and swiping them right off the seat. I sat up in shock and saw this man sit himself on the seat and say 'I need this seat' I looked around and there were empty seats everywhere! As I got over the shock I became absolutely livid that this man had dared touch me and my oh said to him he only needed to ask for the seat and we would have gave him it but as there were loads of seats all over the place what was his problem? He just sat there staring straight ahead. I felt totally violated even though it just my feet but he really struck them with quite a bit of force. My oh started to get angry then and stood up and told him how rude he was and what right did he have to hit someone to get a seat? He actually starting smirking at my oh and I could see it was going to turn into a fight as my oh was getting really angry. I pulled him away and said its not worth it and we walked away to other seats but I felt so angry I burst into tears. It was horrible. The man was European, possible German accent but I couldn't be sure. So it just shows you that rude people in London don't always need to be Londoners :-/

Yes. I would, no question about it. Get this, yesterday I was sitting next to my grandma in law in fold out chairs, she was because of her knees, and I was because I was feeling like my baby was gonna fall out (lol tmi!) But It was so uncomfortable to stand up. Well, my DH's uncle's girlfriend, as soon as I got up, stole my seat. I was like "really"... And then granny saw and offered her seat to me, bless her heart, but I declined. She needed it as bad as me, if not worse. But Uncle's GF was like stone. Kept on a poker face like she was there, but not "there". Lmao.. And when we all left to get drinks, she sat firmly outside in that seat, like she knew I'd jump in it if she got up. (and i would've.. XD) but It really ticked me off because me and her are friends, so why would she do that to me? The cow....

What a horrid mole! Lol

You should have just went and sat on her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->