i'll never understand this (drug content)

Natsku...

Some quotes are from literature i have and some links for you below, full studies may be obtained if u research enough or contact the organisations i mentioned

Newcastle University, England - Professor Heather Ashton
Institute of Medicine
Columbia University’s College of Physicians and Surgeon
Tulane University’s Dr.Robert Heath
Dr.*Harold Kalant of the University of Toronto
Macquarie University

https://ncpic.org.au/ncpic/publications/research-briefs/

https://www.druginfo.adf.org.au/drug-facts/cannabis

https://www.morelandhall.org/images/s...s/CANNABIS.pdf

https://www.drugfree.org.au/resources...acts/cannabis/

https://www.drugfree.org.au/resources/links/

https://www.ukcia.org/research/Pharm/index.php

https://www.heritage.org/research/rep...juana-epidemic

:)

Posted my previous post before seeing these ones - cheers I'll take a look at these links

I just think it should be left up to adults. Alcohol and cigarettes are legal, which do cause far worse side effects.... why not allow us to decide for ourselves if we wish to use marijuana or not?

I agree, we are all adults and need to make informed logical choices for ourselves and our health.

Cigarettes arent necessarily less harmful btw...

Numerous studies have shown marijuana smoke to contain carcinogens and to be an irritant to the lungs. In fact, marijuana smoke contains 50-70 percent more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than tobacco smoke. Marijuana users usually inhale more deeply and hold their breath longer than tobacco smokers do, which further increase the lungs' exposure to carcinogenic smoke.

Other Information Sources

For additional information on marijuana, please visit www.marijuana-info.org.

Data Sources

* For street terms searchable by drug name, street term, cost and quantities, drug trade, and drug use, visit: https://www.whitehousedrugpolicy.gov/...ms/default.asp.

** These data are from the Treatment Episode Data Set (TEDS) Highlights – 2007: These data are from the Treatment Episode Data Set (TEDS) Highlights-2007: National Admissions to Substance Abuse Treatment Services (Office of Applied Studies, DASIS Series: S-45, DHHS Publication No. SMA 09-4360, Rockville, MD, 2008), funded by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. The latest data are available at 800-729-6686 or on line at www.samhsa.gov.

*** NSDUH (formerly known as the National Household Survey on Drug Abuse) is an annual survey of Americans aged 12 and older conducted by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Department of Health and Human Services. This survey is available on line at https://www.oas.samhsa.gov/nsduh.htm.

**** These data are from the 2009 Monitoring the Future survey, funded by the National Institute on Drug Abuse, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, and conducted annually by the University of Michigan's Institute for Social Research. The survey has tracked 12th-graders' illicit drug use and related attitudes since 1975; in 1991, 8th- and 10th-graders were added to the study.

References

1. Herkenham M, Lynn A, Little MD, et al. Cannabinoid receptor localization in the brain. Proc Natl Acad Sci, USA 87(5):1932–1936, 1990.

2. Pope HG, Gruber AJ, Hudson JI, Huestis MA, Yurgelun-Todd D. Neuropsychological performance in long-term cannabis users. Arch Gen Psychiatry 58(10):909–915, 2001.
3. Budney AJ, Vandrey RG, Hughes JR, Thostenson JD, Bursac Z. Comparison of cannabis and tobacco withdrawal: Severity and contribution to relapse. J Subst Abuse Treat, e-publication ahead of print, March 12, 2008.

4. Moore TH, Zammit S, Lingford-Hughes A, et al. Cannabis use and risk of psychotic or affective mental health outcomes: A systematic review. Lancet 370 (9584):319–328, 2007.

5. Mittleman MA, Lewis RA, Maclure M, Sherwood JB, Muller JE. Triggering myocardial infarction by marijuana. Circulation 103(23):2805–2809, 2001.

6. Tashkin DP. Smoked marijuana as a cause of lung injury. Monaldi Arch Chest Dis 63(2):92–100, 2005.

7. Hashibe M, Morgenstern H, Cui Y, et al. Marijuana use and the risk of lung and upper aerodigestive tract cancers: Results of a population-based case-control study. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 15(10):1829–1834, 2006.

18. Polen MR, Sidney S, Tekawa IS, Sadler M, Friedman GD. Health care use by frequent marijuana smokers who do not smoke tobacco. West J Med 158(6):596–601, 1993.

9. Gruber AJ, Pope HG, Hudson JI, Yurgelun-Todd D. Attributes of long-term heavy cannabis users: A case control study. Psychological Med 33(8):1415–1422, 2003.

I think cigarettes are considered more harmful because you tend to smoke more of them and they are highly addictive therefore the long-term potential for harm is higher.

I just think it should be left up to adults. Alcohol and cigarettes are legal, which do cause far worse side effects.... why not allow us to decide for ourselves if we wish to use marijuana or not?

The thread was about smoking it around CHILDREN though- those poor kids don't have the choice :shrug:

True Loraloo not to mention they need their parents healthy and around for as long as possible. Smoking dope isnt gonna help that not to mention the risks involved with growing it and having it in ur home :(

Oh yes, Ive already answered the original post. I said it shouldn't be around or in front of children at all.

We dont have it in our home, and we don't grow it lol and if Mark got *caught* smoking a joint outside he wouldn't get in trouble anyways.

So where do u smoke it? if u buy it someone (dealer) is growing it and potentially putting their family / neighbours at risk so u can buy it.

The thing is, my OH is more likely to be around longer and be healthier if he could use it. He has a high risk of taking his own life because of the PTSD or engaging in risky behaviour which could hurt him or even kill him because of his BPD (thankfully the PTSD turns him into a recluse which limits his opportunities for risky behaviour) which again, cannabis helps with. Its not as black and white as you'd think.

Or cannabis use could make him worse, you just dont know?

I am sure she does know, he is her OH... kwim?

Also, I do not smoke it. My OH does. He goes outside, or for a walk. He doesnt do it in front of other people, he has NEVER bothered neighbors with it. In fact, our old place we used to live (nice townhouses, with good, hardworking, high class people) 3 out of 4 houses had someone who smoked marijuana in it. One of them did it out front, which I kindly asked him to go out back, or in his shed, or hell, in our locked shed where children cant go etc... I just explained I do not want my children exposed to it and doing it in plain sight doesn't help. Where he gets his stuff I am not going to explain, but it isnt putting him at risk, or his family at all.

Canada is a lot more relaxed I guess. The other person who didn't smoke it where we used to live didn't care if anyone else did, as long as it wasn't in front of her children. I am sure on our new road there would be probably a quarter, if not, more people who smoke it. Again, nice area.

I am sure she does know, he is her OH... kwim?

Also, I do not smoke it. My OH does. He goes outside, or for a walk. He doesnt do it in front of other people, he has NEVER bothered neighbors with it. In fact, our old place we used to live (nice townhouses, with good, hardworking, high class people) 3 out of 4 houses had someone who smoked marijuana in it. One of them did it out front, which I kindly asked him to go out back, or in his shed, or hell, in our locked shed where children cant go etc... I just explained I do not want my children exposed to it and doing it in plain sight doesn't help. Where he gets his stuff I am not going to explain, but it isnt putting him at risk, or his family at all.

But how can she, the fact is none of us know the exact effects it has on our bodies and minds? Anyway thats for her and her OH to decide. :flower:

Fact is whoever is growing it, depending on how they are growing it is putting others at risk (fire, burglary etc) There has been deaths here due to home invasions where the home owner is growing cannabis or from fire (for those growing using hydroponics)

again tho, im preeeeeeeeeeeeety sure there are a lot more fires caused by people falling asleep drunk with food cooking, or failing to extinguish a cigarette properly, than by people growing weed. like PP said, NOTHING in this life is 110% safe, its about weighing up risks!

Yes maybe but its just another risk isnt it? I dont think u can compare cooking with starting fires cause of cigarettes or growing dope, but it does happen, and its happens regularly here as it on the news, along with drug related shootings, home invasions etc. The amount of times ive heard ' police found a room full of hydroponic cannabis at the premises'........

And ur right its about weighing up the risks.....and im pretty sure the risks from using dope are much higher than not using it.

Clearly tho those who want to use it, will. Despite what studies present - esp those who choose to smoke it.

maybe we are sheltered over here, but its VERY rare that i ever hear anything like that!!!

agreed tho, the risks of using it are higher than not, just like the risks of crossing the road are greater than not, like the risks of swimming are greater than not, the risks of eating junk food are greater than not, the risks of stroking a dog are greater than not, the risks of walking through the woods are greater than not, the risks of having a few glasses of wine are greater than not, the risks of taking 2 paracetamol for a headache are greater than not... do i need to go on? do we just go through our lives wrapped in cotton wool locked in the spare bedroom, or do we live a little, have fun, and take *CALCULATED* risks?

the fact is, most people make informed choices based on the information that they have gathered. i know that I am not the kind of person who just 'does' something without looking into the pros and cons of it, weighing up the risks and benefits etc, so im confident that im happy with the choices i have made, and really dont feel like there is any chance of armed robbers coming to take away my weed supply, its insane to compare those people with the average educated, secure, sensible adult who likes to have a smoke! its like saying that every person who drinks a glass of wine with dinner is going to get behind the wheel of their car drunk and take out a bus queue full of innocent pensioners!

and why cant i compare fires started by growing weed, with fires started by cigarettes? they are both 'harmful', unneccessary, undesirable, and for selfish pleasure, so whats the difference?

My point exactly, they are both harmful, unnecessary and undesirable! I just said u cant compare it to cooking! :)

Risks from growing Weed = selfish pleasure my point exactly!

Ok im out, the risks of smoking weed or not are being compared to crossing a road or not and stroking a dog or not?

You are trying to justify it and it makes no sense, sorry. Thats not a constructive debate, its just silly.

Nope, it's not silly. I'm just demonstrating my point that nothing is without risk. We take risks every single day, a lot of which are for our own selfish pleasure when it comes down to it.... I'm not saying that smoking weed is totally risk free, I'm just saying that I've decided that the risks that I can find based on the fairly comprehensive research that I've done, aren't enough for me to think it was a 'bad' thing for me to do!

And I wasn't comparing it to cooking, kindly refrain from twisting my points please! I said that there are more fires started by people drunk falling asleep with food cooking, than by people growing weed! Fact!

Your choice i dont deny that, whether or not various significant studies say otherwise.

And I wasn't comparing it to cooking, kindly refrain from twisting my points please! I said that there are more fires started by people drunk falling asleep with food cooking, than by people growing weed! Fact!

You yourself pointed out that a fire started by weed or cigarette smoking was harmful, unnecessary and undesirable. Cooking is not hence why i dont understand why u even mentioned it. Of course more fires are prob started by cooking or a heater left on etc

I wasnt trying to twist your points, simply stating how i understood them and their relevance to the conversation, this is the internet. :)

Anyway its my bed time. This debate is pointless. Night :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->