Illegal drugs - worse than legal ones?

Dopeyjopey

Toddlers are fun :)
Reaction score
Started to keep debate out of a thread in baby club.

What are your thoughts on cannabis/illegal drugs in comparrison to legal ones such as nicotine, caffeine and alcohol? Are the current laws working? Is there enough education about drugs?

:flower:

Annual Causes of Death in the United States

Tobacco 435,000
Poor Diet and Physical Inactivity 365,000
Alcohol 85,000
Microbial Agents 75,000
Toxic Agents 55,000
Motor Vehicle Crashes 26,347
Adverse Reactions to Prescription Drugs 32,000
Suicide 30,622
Incidents Involving Firearms 29,000
Homicide 20,308
Sexual Behaviors 20,000
All Illicit Drug Use, Direct and Indirect 17,000
Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs Such As Aspirin 7,600
Marijuana 0

Marijuana is far less toxic and less addictive than alcohol.
Long-term marijuana use is far less damaging than long-term alcohol use.

Alcohol use contributes to aggressive behavior and acts of violence, whereas marijuana use reduces the likelihood of violent behavior.

Alcohol use is highly associated with violent crime, whereas marijuana use is not.

Alcohol use contributes to the likelihood of domestic violence and sexual assault and marijuana use does not.

Alcohol use is prevalent in cases of sexual assault and date rape, whereas marijuana use is not considered a contributing factor in cases of sexual assault and date rape.

Alcohol use contributes to reckless behavior and serious injuries, and it is highly associated with emergency room visits, whereas marijuana use does not contribute to such behavior and injuries, and is seldomly associated with emergency room visits.

https://www.cfdp.ca/hcap1499.htm

Read the link above and you will understand why it's not as bad as people may assume.

In saying this, I do not believe it should be around children, or in front of them. I do not think adolesents (other than very ill) should be able to smoke it, and I do not believe you should be able to smoke it where ever you please either. I think it should be used in respect to others as well.

Thank you for those figures - makes it clear that there are far worse legal things! In my view, if drugs such as cannabis and MDMA (which also causes few deaths) are to remain illegal then alcohol needs to be reassessed.

I don't know much about MDMA? I haven't ever done it and would be too scared to, lol. I think things like LSD etc... should remain illegal though as it can cause hallucinations, which could be very dangerous... I do not know what MDMA really does. Are there benefits to it?

There are no benefits to MDMA but the ex drugs advisor to the government did research that proved it was less dangerous than alcohol.

Physically you cannot die from an overdose of LSD, although the mental scars can be horrific, along with the risk of impaired judgement which can be fatal. From what i understand about the effects of LSD (which is only hearing stories from friends) it just distorts what is there, doesn't actually create hallucination iyswim. Like wallpaper and carpet patterns moving.

I think the only reason tobacco and alcohol are legal is because of the tax revenue. You could also argue that the only reason cannabis is illegal is because it would be extremely difficult to sell it legitimately when there is already an established chain of supply and demand.

I think the only reason tobacco and alcohol are legal is because of the tax revenue. You could also argue that the only reason cannabis is illegal is because it would be extremely difficult to sell it legitimately when there is already an established chain of supply and demand.

I totally agree with this. It totally suits the government to keep alcohol and tobacco legal due to the huge taxes they incur on them.

ANd as the figures kindly given above, it is quite clear that the affects of alcohol and tobacco a far, far greater than cannabis!

I personally don't get the big deal with it. And no I don't smoke it myself, but I used to sometimes when I was younger. I do though happen to know a lot of people who do smoke it regularly and they all are vert sensible people who have full time jobs, homes, etc, etc.

I do think there is a concern that for young people it could be classed as a 'gateway' drug to bigger more dangerous types. However, I think this is more down to personality. If you have an addictive personality, I think this would happen whether cannabis was available or not. THere'd always be something else to start the downward spiral :shrug:

I totally agree with this. It totally suits the government to keep alcohol and tobacco legal due to the huge taxes they incur on them.

ANd as the figures kindly given above, it is quite clear that the affects of alcohol and tobacco a far, far greater than cannabis!

I personally don't get the big deal with it. And no I don't smoke it myself, but I used to sometimes when I was younger. I do though happen to know a lot of people who do smoke it regularly and they all are vert sensible people who have full time jobs, homes, etc, etc.

I do think there is a concern that for young people it could be classed as a 'gateway' drug to bigger more dangerous types. However, I think this is more down to personality. If you have an addictive personality, I think this would happen whether cannabis was available or not. THere'd always be something else to start the downward spiral :shrug:

I agree with this all 100%

Agreed jojo. The 'gateway' thing bothers me though as i think that's something invented to scare people into hating the drug. A lot of the 'harder' drugs are also less harmful than alcohol and nicotine. Cocaine is evil but for some reason that is the most common amongst kids that i know of. Then because of the illegality if they need medical help they are too scared to say what they've taken which hinders treatment.

If people are going to take drugs, they're going to and i know i'd rather educate my son on the real risks and safety of each drug so that if he chooses that path he knows what is safest. Of course, i would prefer him to stay clear.

I don't take drugs but i have in the pasr. My ex worked with chemicals and taught me a LOT about drugs and i'm thankful for it. A little while a go my brother found a wrap of drugs and was going to try them. luckily he told me first and when he explained what it looked like i was able to tell him it was heroin :shock: education about things, illegal or not, is very important!

I think way more people drink and drive than other things... that kills too many every year!

I don't think things like coke and acid should be made legal and I think they are a lot worse than legal drugs. Without even thinking of the long term effects, they are too dangerous when taken, they can completely mess with your head.

But I do think Cannabis should be made legal.
There is obviously different strengths that you can buy now (the weak stuff then the stronger stuff with special names) this could be controlled if it was legal. I don't think the stronger stuff should be on sale as long term paranoia is def a problem with it.
I just think that if people want to smoke it, then they will and it is so so easy to get hold of. IMO it makes sense to legalise it.
I don't think it is as bad as some legal drugs. IMO, booze is worse than Cannabis.

I agree that the main reason that tobacco and booze is legal is because the tax revenue from them!

xxx

Cannabis when grown responsibly and naturally and when used responsibly by adults is near harmless and has many benefits.

When I use knives in my kitchen; I know they're sharp but I use them to do LOADS of useful things such as cut up vegetables to make food for myself and my family and friends, cut plasticy labels off things, open packages in the post. However I would never give children knives or cannabis to play with.

You COULD outlaw ALL knives for everyone as they are used to kill and harm but then, people would realise they quite like knives and their many benefits and so a trade in black market knives would thrive and people would be looked down upon for using them when others get by quite happily without them. An illegal market full of hardened criminal would take hold of the knife market and like hardened criminals do, they would tarnish the name of everyday kitchen knives with those of hunting knifes, machetes, daggers, and even harder weapons like guns.

Then people would go around ignorantly saying "oh but kitchen knives are DANGEROUS, they ruin LIVES, they break apart families." or "My mate started on kitchen knives and now he's not happy without an AK47." or "Kitchen knives are ILLEGAL for a REASON" without ever really THINKING about WHY they are illegal, without taking into consideration that the MAJORITY of people in ALL walks of life, from doctors and nurses, to lawyers, firemen, teachers, mums, dads, grandparents, plumbers, shopkeepers, electricians, IT support, consultants, recruitment agents and pretty much every type of person on the planet actually use knives, enjoy using knives, enjoy knives responsibly, while holding down a job, a mortgage, excelling at life in multiple ways, having happy and fulfilling relationships with their families and friends and feeling that the benefits of kitchen knives not only FAR outweigh the negatives which are exaggerated in the press to instil fear in the ignorant (which is very annoying as almost EVERY journalist is guaranteed to have indulged in some form of knife themselves) but also that using knives is well worth the risk of criminalisation as even most of the police understand that kitchen knives are not like other knives and they really aren't going to be bothered to go around chasing people who just want to use kitchen knives as the law is according to the scientists paid by the government, a very very stupid one. Also, if knives make music sound this good... everyone should at least try them.
:blush:
Sorry for getting carried away in my metaphor :blush:

:rofl: i love it redpoppy!

Not to mention the police officers confiscating the kitchen knives then deciding their wife or friends would really enjoy using that knife and giving it to them as a present!

I think it should be legal in Canada, and I honestly think a HUGE percentage of Canadians smoke it but don't want to admit it, as it is illegal right now (barely)

It seems like such a waste of Canadian tax payers money to enforce this law.

At least people staying in getting stoned doesn't result in the amount of fights or stupid accidents going out and getting drunk does!

Exactly. To me, alcohol is a million times worse than weed.

The legality of a drug doesn't make any difference to how I view it in terms of how harmful it is.
The seriousness of the substance, the addictive nature of it, the harm it can do are all factors in how dangerous or 'wrong' I view it.
There are several substances both illegal and legal which can be either relatively harmless when used in moderation or can ruin lives when abused. I don't blame the substances themselves in some of these cases as usually there are a mix of factors which lead to the abuse of these substances. Enjoying a regular glass of red is certainly not the same as needing to drink to get through the day.
I grew up and currently live in an area where alcohol ruins as many lives as heroin. I care for and come across more alcoholics than I do IV drug users. I have rarely cared for a patient whose health problems stem from abuse of cannabis HOWEVER my friends who are mental health nurses see these people in the system ALL the time. Cannabis in moderation is much like alcohol but it is not harmless either.
I have taken cannabis and I enjoy alcohol in moderation, I have friends and family who enjoy both, however the legality makes a difference for me now in my choice not to use it. I can't afford to have cannabis possession on my enhanced disclosure/CRB because it might ruin my career and while cannabis is illegal I have no way of ensuring that buying it is not funding crime or that what I am buying is appropriate for consumption. If this was not an issue I would happily indulge on occasion in moderation in an adult environment.
I do not think that prohibition of any substance works. I think it simply makes that substance harder to regulate and a gold mine for the scum of society.

Haha trumpetbum, you always manage to say what i would like to say if i could find the words :thumbup:

I had mental health problems before i ever smoked weed and i used it to self medicate, but i did it sensibly. Feel like i got a raw deal in a way, i went crazy without having the fun beforehand ;). (Please take that with a pinch of salt - i wouldn't wish bad health on anyone!)

I know so many people who smoke it and you would never in your wildest dreams think they would. Government employees, military officers, police, lawyers, a judge even LOL! I also think if more people smoked it, we would be more loving peaceful and understanding! Hell if I liked how I felt when I did it, I would love to sit down when alone, smoked a joint and gap out while watching tv for a while.. it sure would help relieve some stress! :thumbup: I would rather my child smoke a joint with friends, than go out drinking and get into an accident on their way home. Not saying there aren't any accidents caused from being very stoned, but the chances of my child dying from alcohol are A LOT higher than marijuana or any other illegal drug for that matter...

Oh and by the way, it's not physically addictive (marijuana I mean) but you can become mentally dependant on it... Cigs, Alcohol and other harder drugs are a lot more addictive.

I think it should be legal in Canada, and I honestly think a HUGE percentage of Canadians smoke it but don't want to admit it, as it is illegal right now (barely)

It seems like such a waste of Canadian tax payers money to enforce this law.

I live in Canada and I don't smoke it nor would I ever want it legal. The death rate quoted in the second post is completely useless. Lives can be destroyed by any drug that alters the mind, as pot does. Impaired driving isn't just drinking...and working for the police, I have seen this with my own eyes. People go to jail for it. Oh puleeze people...it is illegal, the police WILL charge you, and people DO go to jail. Does that not ruin lives? What about the children whose parents are in jail for selling and growing pot. Those lives are ruined. Or how about the little girl whose parents decided to "buy" their weed by letting the dealers have their way with her as payment (apparently this happens more than we want to know). Smoking can cause throat and lung cancer. That kills. Smoking pot can also make you more vulnerable to trying other drugs such as heroine. My SIL had her first heroine injection while under the influence of pot...10 years later, she is an ex-hooker, on methadone, HIV positive, and her daughter was taken from her. All because of pot. It is illegal, and I see the thugs who smoke it, deal it, and grow it. It isn't pretty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->