Illegal drugs - worse than legal ones?

I was doing a bit of searching around, and most websites tend to agree that marijuana smoke has 50-70% more carcinogens than regular tobacco smoke. Not to mention that marijuana users hold their breath longer while smoking than tobacco users.

I personally don't buy the "because its grown from the earth" that its okay, somehow. Tobacco is grown from the earth too and its proven to be deadly. I don't think its huge concern for occasional pot smokers, but I worry about the person in my life who uses it medicinally. They smoke from the moment they get up pretty much until they go to bed.

That can't be healthy, and I don't personally see how that is better than prescription pain pills. This person too had quite the pot habit before getting the medicinal use card, so the line between actual pain medication and recreation is blurred, IMHO.

But I love having wine. And beer! I'll have a glass or two pretty much every day. So how does that make me any better? :shrug: Other than I don't drink from the moment I get up until I go to bed. :shrug:

Its a fine line all around it seems.

Im confused why anyone would have that view point seen as all alcohol (there may be a symphetic one but I cant think of it) is also grown from the earth berries, grapes, hops, yeast, nuts are all used to make it and all are natural yet look what that can do

I was doing a bit of searching around, and most websites tend to agree that marijuana smoke has 50-70% more carcinogens than regular tobacco smoke. Not to mention that marijuana users hold their breath longer while smoking than tobacco users.

I personally don't buy the "because its grown from the earth" that its okay, somehow. Tobacco is grown from the earth too and its proven to be deadly. I don't think its huge concern for occasional pot smokers, but I worry about the person in my life who uses it medicinally. They smoke from the moment they get up pretty much until they go to bed.

That can't be healthy, and I don't personally see how that is better than prescription pain pills. This person too had quite the pot habit before getting the medicinal use card, so the line between actual pain medication and recreation is blurred, IMHO.

But I love having wine. And beer! I'll have a glass or two pretty much every day. So how does that make me any better? :shrug: Other than I don't drink from the moment I get up until I go to bed. :shrug:

Im confused why anyone would have that view point seen as all alcohol (there may be a symphetic one but I cant think of it) is also grown from the earth berries, grapes, hops, yeast, nuts are all used to make it and all are natural yet look what that can do

That's not strictly true. Ethanol is produced when fruit rots - it doesn't grow as such. The fact something has to be dead and rotting to produce it makes me feel :sick: about drinking anything with alcohol in!

I don't understand it either. :lol:

Then again, I'm not an avid pot smoker. I dabbled with it back in the day, but it wasn't for me so I never bought into the pro-propaganda for it. But when I was around pot smokers, that was their main argument for it. It was "natural" because it was "grown from the earth" so definitely safer than the chemically engineered drugs.

Which IMO is true. But, that doesn't mean its hunky dory in my books either.

I don't understand the "it's natural" argument either. There are herbs which are natural which if taken wrongly can cause severe vomiting or even induce abortions.

But the thing is, it naturally grows out of the ground, isn't particularly harmful and has been used by humanity for millennia across the globe in many different cultures with MANY MANY useful applications.

There may not be an argument to say it's natural because it grows out of the ground but there's definitely an argument to say it's natural to smoke pot as humanity has been using its healing and psychoactive properties to help through all sorts of difficulties for far far FAR longer than it has been seen as a "dirty" or "immoral" or "evil" substance.

So it's not like someone in a lab is making this evil drug which is making people addicted and artificially increasing it's usage. Marijuana use always has been and always will be.

I've said I don't know how it can be illegal when it grows in the ground. To me it's like making it illegal to eat tomatoes :shrug:

That's not strictly true. Ethanol is produced when fruit rots - it doesn't grow as such. The fact something has to be dead and rotting to produce it makes me feel :sick: about drinking anything with alcohol in!

but it is still made from somthing that grows (you cant make it with out the berries afterall), my point was that just because it is a natural product doesnt make it any safer or better

I've said I don't know how it can be illegal when it grows in the ground. To me it's like making it illegal to eat tomatoes :shrug:

Exactly. It seems strange to make a plant illegal. Maybe make public intoxication the illegal part of it.

Tomatoes are not a danger to your health :wacko:

And there is a debate as to whether cannabis is or not! Some people are allergic to tomatoes and if you ate too many you'd be ill. Interestingly, tomatoes were thought be poisonous in the 1800s. Times change!

I wish i didn't have to put a disclaimer every time i give a comparison, example or metaphor :growlmad:

And there is a debate as to whether cannabis is or not! Some people are allergic to tomatoes and if you ate too many you'd be ill. Interestingly, tomatoes were thought be poisonous in the 1800s. Times change!

I wish i didn't have to put a disclaimer every time i give a comparison, example or metaphor :growlmad:

Maybe because it was a bit of a silly comparison seen as I cant remember the last time I got stones on tomatoes

Maybe because it was a bit of a silly comparison seen as I cant remember the last time I got stones on tomatoes

You're obviously not trying hard enough. :winkwink:

:rofl: @ redpoppy! i used tomatoes because it was the first thing that popped into my head that grows in the ground. There are poisonous berries that aren't illegal, is that a better comparison?

You're obviously not trying hard enough. :winkwink:

Oh I bet my ex would have found a way, he smoked nutmeg and tried getting high on origano once :)

:rofl: @ redpoppy! i used tomatoes because it was the first thing that popped into my head that grows in the ground. There are poisonous berries that aren't illegal, is that a better comparison?

Thing is if someone was to eat a berry not knowing what it was or what it was going to do to them then thats there own stupid fault if it posens them, people grow, cultivate and consume Marijuana with a specific intention in mind where as poisenus berries grow in masses and thousands of different species in the wild even along the side of the road where as Marijuana doesnt (you may get the odd stray plant but not as a general rule)

So it is a completly different thing, now mushrooms theres a good example (have they been made illegal yet, I cant remember)

Mushrooms are illegal once they have been dried out. I didn't want to give an example of something where people would jump on me for them being 'drugs'!

Maybe if i say, in MY opinion it is like banning tomatoes it can't be argued because that's just what i think :)

But I thought the point was something that is illegal v somthing that isnt illegal and what is worse for you not a drug v a vegetable, a tomatoe cant do what Marijuana does so there is no real comparison and saying banning one is like banning the other is silly

Oh dear. I give up.

I was simply stating that to ban a little bit grown for personal use seems as silly TO ME as making it illegal to grow their own tomatoes.

Of course, just my opinion. I don't need saving from myself - i'm educated enough to know what i can handle and make my choices accordingly :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->