Illegal drugs - worse than legal ones?

Well I also walked by someone smoking a crack pipe, and no one cared about that either.

that might be the way in canada but its not like that here,maybe in really rough parts of the uk it would be acceptable

i live in canada....and it isn't like that here.

according to blackberry it is lol

must be her town, because here...that would not be cool, at all. I live on Vancouver Island. I told my friends about this thread (a moms group). They were floored.

Well I also walked by someone smoking a crack pipe, and no one cared about that either.

that might be the way in canada but its not like that here,maybe in really rough parts of the uk it would be acceptable

i live in canada....and it isn't like that here.

according to blackberry it is lol

must be her town, because here...that would not be cool, at all. I live on Vancouver Island. I told my friends about this thread (a moms group). They were floored.

glad to hear it:thumbup:

I don't understand why it seems to be such a problem to discuss ideas regarding current laws :shrug:

If you find it that offensive, maybe it would be best to steer clear :flower:

I live in Edmonton, which is a city. I am sure in your city's downtown there are people doing drugs everywhere. It is not acceptable to me seeing someone smoke a crack pipe either, but my point is, if you guys are so against it...why aren't you doing anything about it??

I am sure in Victoria and Vancouver there are people smoking illegal drugs out in public in downtown. I know they are, because I have been downtown in both places.

So the point of this debate is, to me, why is it acceptable for people to be out driving or working or doing every day things while effed up on prescription drugs or legal drugs?

I am not about to go approach a crackhead. My brother was randomly attacked downtown and stabbed by a gang.
https://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/story/2010/04/09/edmonton-swarm-stabbing-injury.html

Also, Jasmak, you said you worked for the police. I feel like something isn't adding up if you haven't heard of people in the city doing drugs out on the street.

Not sure where I said it was cool. I was saying the joint thing, because the fact is its not like people would be out hotboxing bus stops, etc. :rofl:

I probably use the least amount of drugs on here, I drink coffee and thats about it. I don't even take tylenol. I smoked weed maybe 5 times in the past 5 years.

I just think it is naive for people to think their neighborhoods or towns or cities have zero drug use, or that there is a "war on drugs" and it includes weed is a bit ridiculous to me. Obviously people turn to drugs for a reason. Maybe we, as a society, should work on those issues. There are so many people out there addicted to prescription drugs, which are much stronger and more dangerous and they don't have a smell so you aren't able to just detect them.

Your kids teachers, nurses, doctors, taxi drivers, policemen, etc could be royally effed up right now and it seems weird that people are concentrating so much on weed, which in most cases is not a big deal.

BB- Oh wow, sorry to hear about your brother... lots of crazy people out there!

I don't smoke, don't drink, don't drink coffee anymore, my pop is diet caffiene free, lol... but I do LOVE my chocolate lol I can't help it :p I'm a SAHM and I look after another little girl right now, and soon her sister too. :) I'm hoping to maybe get 1 more child after that so I can stay home comfortably.

So the point of this debate is, to me, why is it acceptable for people to be out driving or working or doing every day things while effed up on prescription drugs or legal drugs?

That's what I thought this debate was about as well. Not that celebs are the cut and dry for everything, but you see stories with them going into rehab for prescription meds just as often as for alcohol or street drugs.

I remember that with your brother BB :hugs: And I agree, the world is one messed up ball of hate sometimes. :hugs:

I think they aren't bothering to make it legal here because they probably wouldn't profit off of it, we all would just grow our own.

But in most cases prescription meds are a necessary 'evil' iykwim?

I live in Edmonton, which is a city. I am sure in your city's downtown there are people doing drugs everywhere. It is not acceptable to me seeing someone smoke a crack pipe either, but my point is, if you guys are so against it...why aren't you doing anything about it??

I am sure in Victoria and Vancouver there are people smoking illegal drugs out in public in downtown. I know they are, because I have been downtown in both places.

I am not about to go approach a crackhead. My brother was randomly attacked downtown and stabbed by a gang.
https://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/story/2010/04/09/edmonton-swarm-stabbing-injury.html

Also, Jasmak, you said you worked for the police. I feel like something isn't adding up if you haven't heard of people in the city doing drugs out on the street.

I said there isn't people all over the place doing drugs and that it wouldn't be acceptable. Yes, there is drug exchanges, and there is people strung out...but it certainly isn't acceptable or ignored. There are areas in every city that have that, of course. I am NOT a police officer. I don't see it first hand daily. I don't live in Vancouver, where there is alot of that, espesially East Vancouver. Victoria has alot of homeless, but I used to live there and I don't remember seeing alot of drug exchanges...or maybe since I was younger, I didn't know what it was so didn't notice. Here, I drive through an area downtown that has alot of stuff like that, which is disturbing. But, by no means is it ACCEPTABLE, or IGNORED is what I meant. ;) I have been to Edmonton many times, and Fort Saskatchewan etc...and have seen people do drugs there too...so yeah, it happens everywhere. I think druggies tend to flock to the west coast because it is warmer to live on the streets etc. I guess they don't care about the constant rain. lol

Although its been made clear that I am to be ignored by certain posters *whistles nonchalantly* I just wanted to add that I've spoken to three people about this thread, two are a couple one of whom USED to smoke pot (at college/uni :rolleyes: and the wife never touched it and wouldn't and all three were VERY surprised that people in this day and age still have such militant anti views about pot.

The guy kept saying "but you don't know any REAL people who think like that do you?" :haha: But I do. Although only two out of everyone I know.

I do think the more cosmopolitan the place you're from the less people you'll find anti it because you're just FAR more likely to know successful responsible recreational users in your everyday life in your social circle. We were joking a while ago with another friend how at work you it's different and how you have to subtly communicate to people that you're cool with it without saying it.

The third guy is quite a heavy pot smoker but he insisted that its strange people on the internet (which I don't believe it is) as he's one of those who smokes when he goes to pubs and bars and clubs in the evening (outside due to the smoking ban) but he was saying that no one he's ever met has minded and most people accept when he offers to pass it round.

Which is a lovely thing about pot, it's nice to share.

I kept trying to tell him that guys are more relaxed about these things but he doesn't believe there can be such a contrast on the sexes. :shrug: But both people I know who are anti it are girls and I would describe them on the straight laced side of things.

Just read backward. Wanted to add I'm very sorry for your loss, to both Mum2J and AOB.
:hugs:
I don't know what you believe but I believe we'll meet all our loved ones again and I hope that you do. x

Basically, to end things in this thread on my part, I have the same views as redpoppy. I don't even smoke, but I have no problem with responsible pot smokers.

I think if it was to be legal, there would still be intoxiation and age restrictions, just as there are with alcohol.

I do have a problem with addiction (I myself do not find weed to be addictive) and with misuse of any substance.

Marjuana may not be linked to any deaths like the other items on the list in the first post HOWEVER it is thought to be strongly linked (with longterm use esp from any early age) to various mental disorders. So the person may not be dead i admit but they may have a mental disorder esp later in life and have reduced memory. It is also thought to impair the immune system among other side effects.
I'm not saying it is all bad, but there are definate negatives for it.

I was doing a bit of searching around, and most websites tend to agree that marijuana smoke has 50-70% more carcinogens than regular tobacco smoke. Not to mention that marijuana users hold their breath longer while smoking than tobacco users.

I personally don't buy the "because its grown from the earth" that its okay, somehow. Tobacco is grown from the earth too and its proven to be deadly. I don't think its huge concern for occasional pot smokers, but I worry about the person in my life who uses it medicinally. They smoke from the moment they get up pretty much until they go to bed.

That can't be healthy, and I don't personally see how that is better than prescription pain pills. This person too had quite the pot habit before getting the medicinal use card, so the line between actual pain medication and recreation is blurred, IMHO.

But I love having wine. And beer! I'll have a glass or two pretty much every day. So how does that make me any better? :shrug: Other than I don't drink from the moment I get up until I go to bed. :shrug:

Its a fine line all around it seems.

Tobacco is mixed with other poisonous toxins though, to make a cigarette. ;)

Very true!

Although its still lethal, even in its "pure" form. But yeah, I wasn't meaning it for occasional pot smokers, more for the person in my life who smokes a bowl probably every hour or so, 7 days a week.

:wacko:

In regards tot he carcinogens, I read (and posted a link) regarding how they basedit on the cannabis leaf as opposed tot he bud which is what people smoke. Also research has shown that marijuana MAY help to get rid of carcinogens in the lungs as it is an expectorant. (although the study was not a large scale one I think and not very conclusive I can find the link if you need me to).

Don't know if the leaf/bud claim is referenced well but considering how much money (especially in the USA) goes into trying to give marijuana a bad name, there really isn't so much out there in terms of hard facts.

When the government starts funding research along with a VERY expensive war on drugs it gets into messy territory.

I don't think anyone is claiming Marijuana is "all good" but the point is how is it compared to legal drugs? This is the crux of the issue. And it seems many people have some very extreme views in regards to marijuana when they don't have those views in regards to alcohol.

I find it all quite amusing as I come from a Muslim culture where it is the opposite and drinking alcohol is culturally considered FAR worse and considered a far more dirty and corrupt act than smoking marijuana. Many places in the world are the same. It's a cultural issue. People should stop and think where they got there information from and what is colouring their opinion. It's quite ignorant in my opinion to say "i have these views and when questioned I don't really know why except that I've been told repeatedly by politicians or the system". :shrug:

I wanted to add that in many countries the laws against alcohol are EXTREMELY harsh. People can be locked up for a VERY long time. It's a shame as some of those countries allow people (non muslims) and visitors to drink alcohol as they respect that different cultures have different attitudes to the drug. (which may seem progressive but then individual freedom is thrown out the window) However, in my travels I've found USA pressure on all sorts of countries to stop their marijuana production or usage because of the USA "war on drugs" is harsh and unnecessary. Mexico, Thailand, Morocco all included. It's cheeky since the last three USA presidents have all known illegal drug usage although admittedly clinton claimed to not inhale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
over35tryin
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->