• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Illegal drugs - worse than legal ones?

I'm afraid that it is such a big deal to some people, that smoking an occasional joint is enough to turn them off. I tend to not hang out or talk to anyone who breaks the law. If I find out someone is doing something criminal, I don't go any further...that is that. I am sure you think he is wonderful, I just don't befriend people like that. And, no, I don't know anyone at my work that does illegal activities. It is very frowned upon...maybe where you are? I am not sure. Again, I would be careful if you know of someone, they might not want the being passed around that the RCMP where you are smoke pot. lol

Please read my post with a little thought and reply when you can. I am always disturbed by views such as yours (and they are common) and do not want to start an argument but REALLY HONESTLY want to UNDERSTAND and get what your point of view is and where it comes from and why you have it.

I understand people being against someone who commits crimes that are immoral in their personal view. But to say you do not associate with ANYONE who has ever done anything criminal is (and PLEASE seriously don't take this personally) a very conditioned mind which gets its morality from the law which I see as an extremely troubling thing.

Your morality should come from a set of principles that you define for yourself and redefine throughout life due to your experiences in my point of view. What is it that makes you give that responsibility over to anyone or anything? That is what I want to understand. At what point do you say "well I CHOOSE not to think for myself to figure out what is right and wrong based on my view of the world and instead I will hand over that huge responsibility to ______" Fill in the blank, in your case the law.

To say you never question the law means that depending on which society you live in or which society you were born into you could be complicit (and I use the word knowing it's criminal references) in a whole host of HIGHLY immoral things. To not question certain laws is horrific. In certain countries it is law to stone people to death for adultery. It has been law for black people to be treated as inferior to white people. If nobody questioned the law we would have sexism and racism which were not just institutionalised or subtle but lead to horrific and murderous acts. Also laws mean that cannabis is totally decriminalised (holland and potentially California after november) or used for medical purposes (all over the states and canada) or an offence than you can get the death penalty for in certain countries.

I could start going through some of the acts which have been made possible from thinking like that but after the sexism, racism, holocaust, and all sorts of TERRIBLE things which have happened legally in so many countries throughout history and still happen today I think it's just a case of reading a couple of history book to know. So my question which I would LOVE to have answered is that how to you get to a place where defining your morality on the law is considered a moral thing?

We are society and the law is OURS. We existed before the law and we MADE the laws to help society function. Some of those laws are and have throughout history been incorrect/immoral. So why would anyone in this day and age choose to give the law precedence over their own mind?

In terms of mind altering substances. To me the act of criminalising an individual for smoking pot in their own home or in any manner which does not interfere with anyone else is the immoral act. Stop locking people up for having a joint. It's immoral to do so. In that case it is not the drug which is ruining lives but the law as these people are not a danger to society or themselves.

Well, I don't agree with people who believe they are above the law. We have laws in place to protect people, and to have order. Those who go around thinking it doesn't apply to them, or that they are the exception to the rule really irk me. Where do you draw the line? Is it ok for you to speed? Drink while driving? Smoke pot? If you disagree with a law, go about to try and make changes, but if you break the law, then I don't trust you as a person. I don't trust that you wouldn't break the law somewhere else. To me, that shows lack of morals in a person. This is my conclusion, and I can honestly say, that in 'real life' the only people I know who do drugs are losers. They are brainless, and destructive to themselves, and selfish. Maybe you have met 'better' drug users, but I have not. If someone smoked a joint in front of me...I would leave, and possibly phone the police. To me, smoking cigs, drinking to get plastered, and smoking pot are not qualities that I find attractive in anyone. I am not a teenager anymore. I am 35 years old, and to me, that seems very highschoolish (btw, I did not do drugs in highschool). Those are my morals. If someone had cancer and was terminal (as one of my friends is right now) and they needed pot, like it was PRESCRIBED, then I would be accepting, but not want to see it. It's not that I don't think for myself. There are laws that I don't agree with...like the new prostitution thing...that it is legal for a brothel...forget it...I don't agree with that. I think for myself. I have a brain that hasn't been contaminated by drugs and I don't wear rose coloured glasses either...I see it for what it is.

Not sure where I said I didn't question the law??? Can you show me where I said that? Perhaps I mis-spoke, or perhaps you misunderstood.

You heavily implied that all laws are moralistic (or at least those of the country you are from) and anyone who breaks the law therefore meets your heavy disapproval including a member's husband.

So in your opinion, a woman in Iran NOT covering herself up according to the law and not trying to change that would be immoral for thinking she was above the law by showing too much leg? That law protects the society of Iran. Or a man in Saudi Arabia who is gay and have chosen to partake in an affair should be put to death as he is obviously thinking he is above the law of his own country and no one is, and hey he wasn't trying to change the law so he gets what he deserves by law.

I just don't understand if you would consider yourself different from people who thought this way? What makes you different to someone in those countries thinking no one is above the law?

As for the drug users you know? That just doesn't make for an argument as it's a little like people who are blindly biased about anything. Some people might say all the black people they know are hoodlums or all the Asians they know are dirty or all the immigrants they know are stealing good people's jobs and living off benefits. They might then say "you might come across better black people/Asians/immigrant but I have not"

There are PLENTY of drug users who do all sorts of successful non loserish things. And I pretty much guarantee that A LARGE number of successful people in every walk of life smoke pot.

People who hove done drugs which has inspired their highly successful work include:
Francis Crick - Claimed he wouldn't have discovered the double helix form of DNA without LSD. He won a Nobel prize by the way. Slight way off from loserish.
Aldous Huxley - Was inspired by drugs many tims and especially in writing "the Island".
Much of the best music on the last 100 years was inspired by drugs.
Many creative people in drama, film, art and scientists in research and medicine are quiet and responsible, recreational users of drugs. Just because you only hear about the bad or know the bad is probably because you may come across or are very honest in your narrow view on this issue and so people won't go around telling you they partake in things if they are normal people.

Oh for crying out loud, is this post for real??? LMAO. :rofl: I can't even reply to such an absurd post. If you have something related in anyway to what we are actually talking about, I will respond. :rofl: Talk about taking a comment and running wild, and I mean WILD! I hope you didn't waste too much time typing that up.

Oh for crying out loud, is this post for real??? LMAO. :rofl: I can't even reply to such an absurd post. If you have something related in anyway to what we are actually talking about, I will respond. :rofl:

If you don't know how to debate then LYAO is probably the best way to avoid a confrontation which asks you to explain your viewpoint logically.

Well done you! :thumbup:

Not sure where I said I didn't question the law??? Can you show me where I said that? Perhaps I mis-spoke, or perhaps you misunderstood.

Again, I ask the same question as previous...I am guessing you never found that quote. Because it doesn't exist....I never said it. You have come up with this one entirely on your own.

LADIES! for crying out loud - no need to get personal!

You are right, nuff said. I am off to something else. I have said my opinion, and I have been offended by being called a racist (even though I am a minority and so are my children). Off I go...

Annual Causes of Death in the United States

Alcohol use contributes to aggressive behavior and acts of violence, whereas marijuana use reduces the likelihood of violent behavior.

Alcohol use is highly associated with violent crime, whereas marijuana use is not.

Alcohol use contributes to the likelihood of domestic violence and sexual assault and marijuana use does not.

Alcohol use is prevalent in cases of sexual assault and date rape, whereas marijuana use is not considered a contributing factor in cases of sexual assault and date rape.

Haven't read the rest of the thread but I respectfully very much disagree. My ex-partner was addicted to super-strength weed, it caused him to be aggressive and he almost killed me on 3 occasions specifically because he couldn't get access to more.

I'm afraid that it is such a big deal to some people, that smoking an occasional joint is enough to turn them off. I tend to not hang out or talk to anyone who breaks the law. If I find out someone is doing something criminal, I don't go any further...that is that. I am sure you think he is wonderful, I just don't befriend people like that. And, no, I don't know anyone at my work that does illegal activities. It is very frowned upon...maybe where you are? I am not sure. Again, I would be careful if you know of someone, they might not want the being passed around that the RCMP where you are smoke pot. lol

Please read my post with a little thought and reply when you can. I am always disturbed by views such as yours (and they are common) and do not want to start an argument but REALLY HONESTLY want to UNDERSTAND and get what your point of view is and where it comes from and why you have it.

I understand people being against someone who commits crimes that are immoral in their personal view. But to say you do not associate with ANYONE who has ever done anything criminal is (and PLEASE seriously don't take this personally) a very conditioned mind which gets its morality from the law which I see as an extremely troubling thing.

Your morality should come from a set of principles that you define for yourself and redefine throughout life due to your experiences in my point of view. What is it that makes you give that responsibility over to anyone or anything? That is what I want to understand. At what point do you say "well I CHOOSE not to think for myself to figure out what is right and wrong based on my view of the world and instead I will hand over that huge responsibility to ______" Fill in the blank, in your case the law.

To say you never question the law means that depending on which society you live in or which society you were born into you could be complicit (and I use the word knowing it's criminal references) in a whole host of HIGHLY immoral things. To not question certain laws is horrific. In certain countries it is law to stone people to death for adultery. It has been law for black people to be treated as inferior to white people. If nobody questioned the law we would have sexism and racism which were not just institutionalised or subtle but lead to horrific and murderous acts. Also laws mean that cannabis is totally decriminalised (holland and potentially California after november) or used for medical purposes (all over the states and canada) or an offence than you can get the death penalty for in certain countries.

I could start going through some of the acts which have been made possible from thinking like that but after the sexism, racism, holocaust, and all sorts of TERRIBLE things which have happened legally in so many countries throughout history and still happen today I think it's just a case of reading a couple of history book to know. So my question which I would LOVE to have answered is that how to you get to a place where defining your morality on the law is considered a moral thing?

We are society and the law is OURS. We existed before the law and we MADE the laws to help society function. Some of those laws are and have throughout history been incorrect/immoral. So why would anyone in this day and age choose to give the law precedence over their own mind?

In terms of mind altering substances. To me the act of criminalising an individual for smoking pot in their own home or in any manner which does not interfere with anyone else is the immoral act. Stop locking people up for having a joint. It's immoral to do so. In that case it is not the drug which is ruining lives but the law as these people are not a danger to society or themselves.

Well, I don't agree with people who believe they are above the law. We have laws in place to protect people, and to have order. Those who go around thinking it doesn't apply to them, or that they are the exception to the rule really irk me. Where do you draw the line? Is it ok for you to speed? Drink while driving? Smoke pot? If you disagree with a law, go about to try and make changes, but if you break the law, then I don't trust you as a person. I don't trust that you wouldn't break the law somewhere else. To me, that shows lack of morals in a person. This is my conclusion, and I can honestly say, that in 'real life' the only people I know who do drugs are losers. They are brainless, and destructive to themselves, and selfish. Maybe you have met 'better' drug users, but I have not. If someone smoked a joint in front of me...I would leave, and possibly phone the police. To me, smoking cigs, drinking to get plastered, and smoking pot are not qualities that I find attractive in anyone. I am not a teenager anymore. I am 35 years old, and to me, that seems very highschoolish (btw, I did not do drugs in highschool). Those are my morals. If someone had cancer and was terminal (as one of my friends is right now) and they needed pot, like it was PRESCRIBED, then I would be accepting, but not want to see it. It's not that I don't think for myself. There are laws that I don't agree with...like the new prostitution thing...that it is legal for a brothel...forget it...I don't agree with that. I think for myself. I have a brain that hasn't been contaminated by drugs and I don't wear rose coloured glasses either...I see it for what it is.

You heavily implied that all laws are moralistic (or at least those of the country you are from) and anyone who breaks the law therefore meets your heavy disapproval including a member's husband.

So in your opinion, a woman in Iran NOT covering herself up according to the law and not trying to change that would be immoral for thinking she was above the law by showing too much leg? That law protects the society of Iran. Or a man in Saudi Arabia who is gay and have chosen to partake in an affair should be put to death as he is obviously thinking he is above the law of his own country and no one is, and hey he wasn't trying to change the law so he gets what he deserves by law.

I just don't understand if you would consider yourself different from people who thought this way? What makes you different to someone in those countries thinking no one is above the law?

As for the drug users you know? That just doesn't make for an argument as it's a little like people who are blindly biased about anything. Some people might say all the black people they know are hoodlums or all the Asians they know are dirty or all the immigrants they know are stealing good people's jobs and living off benefits. They might then say "you might come across better black people/Asians/immigrant but I have not"

There are PLENTY of drug users who do all sorts of successful non loserish things. And I pretty much guarantee that A LARGE number of successful people in every walk of life smoke pot.

People who hove done drugs which has inspired their highly successful work include:
Francis Crick - Claimed he wouldn't have discovered the double helix form of DNA without LSD. He won a Nobel prize by the way. Slight way off from loserish.
Aldous Huxley - Was inspired by drugs many tims and especially in writing "the Island".
Much of the best music on the last 100 years was inspired by drugs.
Many creative people in drama, film, art and scientists in research and medicine are quiet and responsible, recreational users of drugs. Just because you only hear about the bad or know the bad is probably because you may come across or are very honest in your narrow view on this issue and so people won't go around telling you they partake in things if they are normal people.

I do not agree with people thinking they are above the law and when you break the law it implies just that to me.

I can understand being young and experimenting particularly when peer pressure is rife, but as an adult to willing break the law time and time again, with respect to using drugs.. I have a problem with that :shrug:

What I don't understand is why people who are "pro-weed" as I've seen it being called are so open to the "positives" of smoking it but fail to see the negatives??

To say there are no long term effects is pretty naive IMO... Schizophrenia,Depression, Anxiety,Paranoia to name but a few. Seriously I can't comprehend why people ADULTS still adapt the attitude of a grumpy teenager believing that "it wont hurt". OK fair enough it might not have caused any deaths THAT WE KNOW OF but that doesn't mean it's ok to use it :nope:

I am open to the negatives as well.

And as someone who has a schizophrenic brother, I do not believe it causes schizophrenia. A person is born with it.

Poppy - I take umbrage with one of your points: Crick wouldn't have discovered the DNA held with Rosalind Franklin not LSD! She after all did all the work and got no recognition for it.

Blackberry - I think Schizophrenia is one those mental health diagnoses that are classically based on symptoms and not cause. I think as causes were better understood the illness will get broken down but I agree that by and large people are born with it. There is certainly argument though that cannabis can trigger serious mental conditions.

Faerie - thanks for your post and :hugs: I think what you've experienced chimes with a previous post of mne that people are all different and respond to drugs in different ways and we can't necessarily predict how that will manifest.

Poppy - I take umbrage with one of your points: Crick wouldn't have discovered the DNA held with Rosalind Franklin not LSD! She after all did all the work and got no recognition for it.

Blackberry - I think Schizophrenia is one those mental health diagnoses that are classically based on symptoms and not cause. I think as causes were better understood the illness will get broken down but I agree that by and large people are born with it. There is certainly argument though that cannabis can trigger serious mental conditions.

Faerie - thanks for your post and :hugs: I think what you've experienced chimes with a previous post of mne that people are all different and respond to drugs in different ways and we can't necessarily predict how that will manifest.

Completely agree with this. I'll use alcohol as an example here because it is the most common - lots of people drink alcohol and whilst there are different types of 'drunk', happy, chatty, aggressive, horny, violent etc, a certain amount of those people become alcoholics. I think the same can be said about most drugs, legal or illegal.

Yes and there are addictive personalities whether or not a particular drug is addictive. And addiction is only ever a destructive thing.

I've been reading on schizophrenia and alot of things say that it's not something you are born with but is something that you develop in late teens early 20's. I could be wrong and I don't know how true the sources I'm reading from are but on alot of them it does say that cannabis use makes you 40% more likely to develop it.

Indeed, although i could argue that a huge number of people are addicted to a substance without even knowing it. How many people do you know who claim not to feel human until they've had a coffee in the morning? It's because they're addicted to caffeine. I get my fix through pepsi and my addiction.is that bad that if i don't drink it for two days in a row i get a chronic headache :shock:

I've been reading on schizophrenia and alot of things say that it's not something you are born with but is something that you develop in late teens early 20's. I could be wrong and I don't know how true the sources I'm reading from are but on alot of them it does say that cannabis use makes you 40% more likely to develop it.

I'm not disputing your point, however i believe people with underlying mental health issues are more likely to try cannabis or other drugs which would also explain that figure. I also believe that you either have a mental disorder or you don't - drug use (or abuse may be a better word) may make symptons more apparent but in most cases i don't think it's a cause.

Yeah loads of people are addicted to caffeine but that's generally physiological.

Rainbowdrop - my work on mental health is a bit out of date but I think it's more that schizophrenia generally manifests at that age, not that there is a cause at that time. I think it's probably quite likely that many drugs will increase the chances of it manifesting where someone is predisposed. The statistic really is meaningless without knowing what the chances are for someone to develop it who hasn't used cannabis. What seems significant as a percentage can be pretty insignificant in real terms.

The defining feature if schizophrenia is a low brain weight which obviously isn't something that can be tested during life. The low weight is caused by a thinner cortex and the cortex is laid down at about 6 months pregnancy. Whether it's genetic or environmental is a different matter but in this case it is certainly congenital.

I'm not disputing your point, however i believe people with underlying mental health issues are more likely to try cannabis or other drugs which would also explain that figure. I also believe that you either have a mental disorder or you don't - drug use (or abuse may be a better word) may make symptons more apparent but in most cases i don't think it's a cause.

But drugs can permanently alter brain chemistry which in turn has an effect on brain functioning ergo mental health. Certainly there are enormous amounts of mental issues that are hereditary but also certainly things that alter brain chemistry can in turn cause mental illness.

Like I said I don't know how true or reliable the sources are but they do all say that you are more likely to develop a mental health issue if you are a user/abuser whatever you want to call it but again this particular issue that we're talking about is something that develops later in life as opposed to being born with it. Maybe it's a case of you are born with and it hides for ex amount of years or it develops and that's when it becomes noticeable.. We will never know because there's no evidence to support either side of the debate :flower:

I didn't know that about brain weight. Do you know if there is anything like that for manic depression?

I'm so glad you.chose.the word 'predisposed' i'd been trying to think of that for blimmin ages :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->