I'm in labour - when should I (he) start filling the birthing pool?

Joyzerelly

Mama to two darlings
Reaction score
Hi everyone, at 12 days overdue I'm finally in labour this morning. When should I start filling the birthing pool? Also when should I put on the TENS machine? Not having done this before and not knowing just how long my labour will be I haven't a clue!

Thanks X

I'm not speaking from experience, but I would start filling up the pool now. Also, I think a lot of people wait until the contractions become a little more intense before using the tens machine. I hope it all goes very well for you x x

i would put the tens on when you feel you need the pain relief

As for the pool, not sure as I'm a first timer! But if the water stays heated then I agree with Sazza, start filling! Otherwise may be worth leaving it util the tens isnt giving you the relief you need

Hope all goes well today, how exciting!!

You've probably already had your baby by now!!! But hey, here's my advice for anyone else who's following this thread: I'd put the TENS on early on in labour - I put mine on when my contractions were 8 minutes apart (contractions had been going for about 4 hours by then) and used the TENS throughout the rest of my labour and then gave birth naturally with no other pain relief.

Midwives recommend getting into the pool from about 3cm dilated (although obviously you can actually get in at any tiem), but by the time my midwives came round, I was 6cm dilated!!! It was a mad rush to fill the pool. To be honest, I'm not sure if I would have enjoyed labouring too long in the pool as the TENS was so effective with me. I got into the pool for the last 20 minutes of my labour for the pushing stage and gave birth to Alex there.

Best of luck with everything - looking forward to hearing news of your little one's safe arrival very soon!!!

Remember: if your jaw is relaxed, then your pelvis is relaxed (that's what my yoga teacher told me and I was thinking it the whole time I was in labour and it reminded me not to clench my teeth - I ended up having an easy birth).

xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"