I'm worried ...

pinkneon

Birth mommy xx
Reaction score
My baby's corrected age is 10months and according to the baby-centre website she should be able to do these things :
most babies can : Wave goodbye, pick things up with their thumb and finger, crawl well, "cruise". Some babies may also be able to : say "dada" or "mama" to the right parent, responds to, and understand "no", point to what they want, stand alone for a couple of seconds and put objects into a container
She can't do ANY of these. If you look at the milestones on the site https://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/development/milestones7to12months she's only doing some of the stuff that is listed for a 7month old, but seems to be doing mostly the same as a 6month old. The last time she went for a check up the doctor said she was no longer behind in her development, but it's quite clear that she is. Should I be worried? She was only 5weeks early, yet is functioning 4MONTHS behind her corrected age ... And why would the doctor tell us she's no longer behind when she quite obviously is ...???

As far as I'm concerned, and this is backed up by numerous things I've read, every baby develops at a different rate and therefore they will develop their skills at varying ages. Theres no right or wrong.

My son is only just starting to be able to sit up unaided and he turns 7 months this week. My friend's little girl could do it by 6 months.

I think you just need to encourage your LO to do these things at her own pace - if the doc is happy with her development then I'm sure she's fine. Please don't worry, you might find that she suddenly manages lots of new things all at once and then you won't know where you are!!

xxx

they all devolp in there own try time not to panic and ignore the lists of things she should be able to do. i wouldnt panic till shes alot older

They all go at their own pace. My LO couldn't sit until just after 7 months and then she learnt to crawl in the same week.

She will get there when she's ready. I know it's hard not to worry, but you don't see many 5 year olds that can't wave or say mummy and daddy!

TBH, I've seen that list before and some of the things they list seem to be off from other babies I know. I wouldn't say that most 10 month olds wave goodbye and I know plenty who didn't crawl well or cruise.

Mine waves when she feels like it, definitely doesn't drink from a cup and ignores the word no.

I ignored the bit about drinking from a cup cos I thought it meant a sippy cup which babies are encouraged to do from 6months!

I ignored the bit about drinking from a cup cos I thought it meant a sippy cup which babies are encouraged to do from 6months!

I haven't even given my daughter a cup yet. She's my last baby and I'm enjoying it. :blush:

Lol
My baby finds sippy cups hard so I tried to let her drink out the side of the cup with no lid on ... And it went EVERYWHERE!

Thomas can't shake his head for no, wave hello or goodbye, or link mama and dada with people (he just says them randomly).

It's funny though, one day they can't do something, then the next day they surprise you. He randomly took his first steps on Sunday, wasn't expecting that at all.

I think the lists of developmental milestones on babycentre are nonsense to be honest; my son has randomly waved before but I don't think it was deliberately waving hello or goodbye; also two of mine only started cruising at 11-12 months and one of those started walking unaided at 14 months the other at 21 months, crawling isn't even considered a proper developmental stage by many experts because so many babies skip that stage altogether; as for picking things up with their thumb and finger I have heard that is expected by 12 months, my youngest could pick up stuff with thumb and finger at 6 months but my others were closer to a year. xx

I don't have much to add because the ladies before have given great advice, but my LO wasn't able to do any of those things at 10 months either. I think as mothers we are always going to worry about their development, but really your LO will do it in her own time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->