implant & back up contraception?

Discussion in 'Waiting To Try' started by londonbird, Dec 11, 2009.

1. londonbird

londonbird Well-Known Member

Okay so we are being super careful since loosing Coral in September, had the implant in during October- really not too sure how effective it is, anyone got any idea of percent?

Doctor said to me its equal to sterilisation..

Its very visable ..getting more so...so bit worried it isnt working or something(really would like it out..but thats another hoooharr!)

Anyway have been using condoms as well as that

Is the implant as effective/indestructible as people make out?? ..something thats sticking out of my arm..just seems hmm..delicate/unreliable.. :nope:

Any pearls of wisedom be appriciated guys :)

2. kintenda

kintenda Well-Known Member

Hi londonbird,
    I had an implant a couple of years ago. I always used condoms with it but that was more to prevent STIs. I believe they're very effective, I can't remember the percentage rate but it is very high. I think the only thing that really affects the implanon is if you are very overweight, then it can shorten the lifespan. It doesn't actually affect the actual effects of the implanon though, if that makes sense.
    I'd double check with your doc but I'm pretty sure that's the case. xx

3. hopeandpray

hopeandpray Well-Known Member

i have it and my doc told me that if its not visible that it might not be working so u should be fine! i sometimes use condoms too but not always. i was told it's over 99% effective, maybe 99.9%, not really sure. i don't know any1 who got pregnant on it, my doc only knew one but it was near the end of the 3 yrs and she was overweight

4. Daniellebelle

Daniellebelle Well-Known Member

I had the implant in for over 2 years and i never got pregnant :] i only used the implant, no condoms.
    had it took out due to weight gain which was the only downside for me, otherwise i would swear by it being the best contraception. Periods were regular and lighter than normal and my cramps were non existant.

5. the_key2005

the_key2005 Proud Mummy To Kai

I had the implant for 2yrs and 11months, took it out as DH and I decided to TTC. Had no problems with it during the time it was in and didnt use any other contraceptive with it. Periods where lighter, only lasted 3 days and cramps were almost non existent. Once I had it removed it took me about 3months for my BFP, my GP had said unlike the depo it doesnt remain in your system for very long once removed. Hope all that is helpful.

6. londonbird

londonbird Well-Known Member

Thank you guys

I have no periods on it, same as on the pill which is a bonus

I've lost another stone since I've been on it but thats down to not eating.

Okay, I wont worry about it sticking out then..its so ugly!!! good job its winter!!