In laws present dilemma

emyandpotato

Reaction score
I'm in two minds about my MIL and FIL's gift. I've gone through all different types of gift over the years with nothing seeming to be a big hit, apart from Chanel perfume for MIL one year, but I can't afford that again. This year I decided to get them a voucher for afternoon tea at Hotel Chocolat. It's a £50 experience and I think they'll enjoy it but worried they'll think it's not enough? I'm also going to do some baked goods with DS1 but I don't think they'll consider that a real present.

I have hit my budget overall so don't really want to spend more but I keep thinking I should get something else. I don't know what else to get though- I think a trinket gift like chocolate or a candle wouldn't be really appreciated that much. IDK :shrug: But I don't want them to be disappointed? They usually spend about £25-£30 each on me and OH. One thing that worries me is that I spent a lot on BIL this year- £50- cos I made him a hamper full of small things. I usually let OH choose his present and it's always something rubbish like a phone charger so I wanted to get him something nice this year, but now I'm concerned MIL will be offended?! But then she gave LO £10 in his card for his first birthday which mildly irritated me so I don't feel like she has the right to be offended. Ahhh I don't know!! And obviously it'll be me and not OH who gets in trouble if the gift isn't right.

Sorry for the rant. What would you do?!

ETA BIL often spends £40-50 on OH and £20-30 on me. They live together though and will open presents together.

It's the thought that counts, how silly that you'd get in trouble because it isn't right!?
I think the afternoon tea sounds like a lovely idea, and personally I couldn't fathom spending so much on a gift of a family member, especially for Christmas. They have no right to be offended no matter what you buy or how much you spend, unless of course you were being intentionally cruel which clearly, you're trying very hard. I'd make your OH take care of his parents if they're so fussy

I would get them what I could afford or home made and thats that. If I felt like people expected I would be more inclinded to get naff all

I always fret over my MIL and she doesn't do the same for us or our children so don't worry. Your gift is lovely, my mum would love that.

I think the gift you have sounds great. I hate the pressure to get a perfect gift. I do think it isn't your fault if they are ungrateful and think something that costs £50 isn't enough.
Bake something with LO, or do some salt dough, and give them that along with the experience and if they don't like it they can lump it. That's the conclusion I've come too after years of trying to please people who most likely can't be pleased anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->