Inappropriate comments buying pregnancy test!

Kmx

Reaction score
I am in a slight state of shock after my experience at tesco buying a pregnancy test this evening.

It was in one of those security boxes but I went to a self checkout as I thought this would be more discreet. BIG MISTAKE. I know it's silly to be embarrassed but I was a little!

Anyway I scan the test and put it down. A member of staff who was about 18 year old male came over and I handed him the test hoping he would just take it and get the packaging off and hand it back discreetly. His first comments were that he struggles getting the security boxes off so he shouted to his collegue "can you get this box off of the pregnancy tests?". I was mortified.

Anyway another staff member took it off and the original staff member brought it back to me then shouts good luck! Whether that means it's positive or negative! Meanwhile I just continue scanning my shopping. He then comes over and asks "so do you want it to be positive?" I had no idea what to say, is that not totally inappropriate? I couldn't believe it. I just said "yes". He then said that I look too young and asked what age was i? I honestly wanted the ground to swallow me up and just said 24. I then started to walk away and he shouted good luck, that's a good age!!

What the f***?! Lol I didn't know whether to laugh or cry!

That's inappropriate and embarrassing for you how unprofessional. Good job you want a positive really isn't it x

He sounds very immature and innaproriate, like he was trying to have a laugh with his colleagues.

This is why I never bought tests from tesco! How embarrassing are those boxes. I always went to asda and then through the self check out. Or boots and places like that as they're probably more used to it and aren't phased. Or amazon if I wasn't in a hurry, they're a lot cheaper on there as well.

I would call his manager and request better training. Often times calls like this are ignored but not always and even if it doesn't help you it can help the next poor soul who walks into that store.

So sorry you were put through this.

When I was pregnant with my DD I was at a fish market and ordered some tuna. The woman refused to served me b/c she was taking a nutrition class and her teacher had told them that woman who are pregnant can't eat tuna. I tried so hard not to throw a brick at her! I told her that she inappropriate and incorrect but I didn't throw 800 f-bombs like I wanted to. It was the first time in 6 months of pregnancy that I was going to eat tuna and I was craving it soooo hard. I called her manager and told him that I did not want to see her fired but I did want to know that she would never be discriminatory again. That if she did it to someone else they may not be so kind and instead sue her, him and the store. They bought my groceries the next time I went in and she served me my tuna with a smile (and probably an angry word behind my back).

This is why I order all ttc related things online, how mortifying for you :hugs: I would also call up and complain, I don't how see how his behaviour could be seen as anything but inappropriate.

Oh no, I'm cringing for you! 🙈

Oh no that is awful and very unprofessional. Those security boxes are a nightmare.

Wow, the good luck comment was inappropriate for a start - people use pregnancy tests not just for the hope of pregnancy but there are times you are told to use then to ensure HcG has gone down after a pregnancy/loss. For the guy to continue and say THAT though, is just bang out!

The only comment I've ever received is "I hope you get answer you want.". I just said thank you. I had a friend buy one and the cashier asked her what response she wanted, my friend said "Its for my 15 year old sister so I hope its negative.". I wish I had guts like that.

I've been asked that. Although I'm TTCing, I always find it SUPER unprofessional and rude to even ask. I've immediately shut them down by saying, "That's an inappropriate question to ask anyone, isn't it?" with a smile. They stammered a quick apology something about just making small talk as I bagged my stuff and walked away.

Seriously, YOU should not be the one to feel ashamed. Even if it was a teenager who DIDN'T want it to be positive, should not feel shamed or judged when they're just trying to buy a test.

As small as you might feel this is, I would still make a quick call to the manager. You don't have to give names, or tell them who it was, just ask for them to follow up with their staff on sensitivity training or you may file formal complaints next time. He may be a young teen, but he needs to learn quick that it is NOT okay to be saying stupid stuff on the job (or in his personal life for that matter).

Everything he said after "can you get this box off of the pregnancy tests?" was unprofessional ,inappropriate ,borderline harassment , I would complain to the manager about it.

I am so sorry you had to go through that! I'm 25 (going to be 26 in a couple weeks), but I honestly look like I am still in high school because I am short and have a bit of a baby face. I always get the joking, "Are you old enough to buy this?! I'm going to need to see some ID" when I buy wine. So I know the feeling. I know it sucks, but brush it off. I would love to say what I say about condoms: which is that if you can't look the cashier dead in the eye and continue the checkout chit chat as they scan it then you shouldn't be having sex. BUT! I have gone through the self checkout with pregnancy tests. I just get tired of the, like you mentioned, comments. Especially when I am buying them in bulk or I was just in last month. I had my lab clerk tell me, "Oh, you're back. I thought you were done getting these," the last time I was in to get my bloods.

At the end of the day, these people don't mean anything by it. It's just TTC ignorance. He could have also been weirdly trying to figure out if he can hit on you. I had that at the gym today where someone was asking inappropriate questions, but it turned out he was trying to figure out what my situation was so he didn't hit on me inappropriately. Lastly, let's say he meant to be an a**. "A lioness does not concern herself with the opinions of sheep." You are well within your rights to not answer questions like that. It's none of their business. It's okay to say that (in a polite way unless they were being rude then you can use a little sass).

Hugs hugs hugs and hoping those tests yield the positive you are looking for! <333

I had a woman at Asda ask me if I wanted it to be positive, then turned to my 4 year old daughter and tell her she might have a little sister. We have never said anything to my daughter about it all.mthen she turned to my other half and said "do YOU want her to be pregnant or is it just her?" I was mortified he just said "yes I bloody well do!" Which I thought was mean at the time but I wish I'd of been so brave at the time.

Theres nothing worse than idiotic shop workers (not all are idiots my OH is a manager at a big store and all his staff are lovely) or medical "proffesionals" who make stupid, hurtful comments.

I had a woman at Asda ask me if I wanted it to be positive, then turned to my 4 year old daughter and tell her she might have a little sister. We have never said anything to my daughter about it all.mthen she turned to my other half and said "do YOU want her to be pregnant or is it just her?" I was mortified he just said "yes I bloody well do!" Which I thought was mean at the time but I wish I'd of been so brave at the time.

:shock: oh my GOD

How embarassing. I tend to buy all ttc things online for fear of this happening. The only thing I will buy in store are vitamins and suppliments.

How rude! People buy tests for all kind of reasons.

I am an online shopper for ttc stuff too. Though my amazon 'you might like' box gets fairly interesting...

At my first FC appointment the gynae dr noted my lining was really thick and asked if I was definitely sure I wasn't pregnant. I could have slapped her.

Oh god, that's horrific. I would be calling and complaining. He may have only been 18 but.. come on. Hes a big boy. He knows that what he said was stupid.

I had an issue at my dollar store when I bought a bunch of pregnancy tests there. The cashier just whispered "wow.." under her breath. (Im 23) ... Um, maybe I cant afford to spent $20+ dollars on a single test when these ones are fine and ive been TTC for 2 bloody years and test constantly. Not everyone gets pregnant first try, lady.

LMAO!! That's so outrageous !
I have gotten the good luck once but it was a lady I know from my frequent shopping lol

I bought some at walmart once and the cashier (younger than I) asked "are these good or bad tests". I replied "well the fact that I'm married means that they are good tests" she shut up. I hate shopping bc there are so many @$$holes out there.

Ewww....so much inappropriateness! Thank goodness I haven't had to deal with that - I've been buying pregnancy tests for the last few months since we weren't doing anything for BC and I've been feeling pregnancy brain (I'm 33 and been hoping that something would happen on accident). However, since I don't ever wear my ring I sometimes get sideways glances from other customers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->