• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Including children in the homebirth?

My son was 22 months & is the kind of kid that gets very concerned when others are upset. Mix that with me being the screaming type & I'm very glad he didn't witness anything. My mum brought him back an hour after baby was born & he took no notice of her at all.

I have needed my husband very close during both births & the midwives just let us get on with it so I'm glad he didn't have our son distracting him.

You need to also think about what would happen if you needed to be transfered in an emergency, would they go with you or would there be someone else there to watch them while your husband goes with you?

Yes I will have my LO in the house if I have another. If all goes to plan he will be four. If he wants to be involved he can but if he wants to play in his room or if he's asleep that's fine too.

My sister was born at home when I was four and my mum didn't have me there because she didn't want me to be scared. But with LO I was silent and calm so I don't think it will be a bad experience for him to see.

My daughter will be 26 months when my second is due, and I've already hired a doula just to give her one on one attention. Personally, I really needed my husband's support during my first home birth, so I wouldn't want him to have to tend to her while I need him -- hence the doula! :D

For older children, I would ask them opinion, consider how you would feel with or without them there, and then if you choose to have them, give them the space to come and go as they feel comfortable.

I just recently watched a live home birth on youtube, and there was maybe a 5 year old kid there who slept on the couch while his mom gave birth. He didn't even wake up and was 2 feet away! I've heard very positive things from people who have had children at home birth, though -- no reports of the children being scared.

I've watched MANY home birth videos and I don't believe I've ever seen a child be afraid. However, my son did get scared once during the birth but that was because I started screaming lol I had the worst burning sensation, not realizing it was the baby coming out so my reaction to this new pain was to scream my head off :haha: I think with most kids, you can just explain to them that mommy might make scary noises but that everything is okay.

I didn't have a home birth with my last but was in a tiny birthcentre with just us and the midwife there. I had my 10yo DD with us, she wanted to witness the birth. I wanted her to see birth as something good and doesn't always end in tragedy, as she was very aware and involved with my previous pregnancy so it hit her so hard when the twins died so I was happy for her to be there but we had a lot of discussions about it to make sure she knew what to expect and she could change her mind if she wanted. Before DS was born we watched a few youtube videos of homebirths together and discussed what was happening so she would know what was likely to happen, and she was well warned that I might make noises and that there would be blood. She was fascinated by it all and not grossed out at all, I was surprised. I also showed her how the babies don't come out pink and can be purple or blue, so she wouldn't panic and think he'd died. We actually just finished watching some clips when my waters popped, obviously DS decided his sister was prepared! I didn't tell her though as I didn't want her to get all hyped up too soon and my labour with her was 20+ hrs (ending in C/S but that's another story) so just doddled around getting things ready etc but things surprised me and ramped up pretty fast - this labour was only 4hrs, then about 2 pushing, but it was my body's first time pushing out a baby even though I'd laboured before and it wasn't full-on pushing for most of it. So second labours can definitely go a lot faster!

For what it's worth, she was a great help - even helping the midwife and took all our first pics etc and she was very quiet while I was labouring, which would have been hard for her as she's a motor mouth normally. She did say afterwards that she was a bit scared at one point, but it was fear he'd die - but that was just because we'd suffered a loss before, I don't think it was a normal reaction to birth at all, it's very common after loss, most kids wouldn't feel that way if they had no reason to.

She is very very bonded to DS, she is like a second wee Mum to him, I had to wrestle him off of her sometimes to change nappies and things as she wanted to do everything at first! She still loves playing with him and making him laugh and he loves her to bits, it's lovely. Poor wee boy won't get away with anything growing up with his 2 Mums though ha!

It was a very special time for us, even though I am a very private person and would maybe have laboured easier alone I pretty much zoned out anyway. We all stayed together in the room at the birth centre that night for the next couple of days, DH took her to the park for a bit and things and back together again so it was the closest we could get to a home-away-from-home birth.

Anyway, that's a very long-winded way of saying ask them and prepare them well if they do want to be there and they should be fine but maybe have a friend or someone they could go to if it all gets a bit too much or in the unlikely event you need transferred. You are also quite likely to labour at night so may want to just wake them toward the end if they do want to be part of it so they don't get bored or start to worry. For those of us doing the labouring time goes quite fast but not so much for those watching.

If I'm ever lucky enough to have a next time I think I'd rather stay at home and with a fast labour last time and a 3 hour journey to hospital it's probably the best and safest choice for me, it would be a different story with a toddler though but DD would no doubt lend a hand with him if it came to it. But I'm jumping away ahead, I'm not even pregnant :)

Sorry for the inconcise ramble, hope it helped a bit though xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->