Incontinent dog? Help?

anteater

Reaction score
We've got a jack russel who is about 14. A 2 year old toddler and baby due any day.

The dog has progressively done his toilet needs nearer and nearer the house (on the patio, instead of making it to the grass...the garden is very small).

Last night we let him out before bed, as usual, then 10 mins later he did a poo on the carpet. This morning he stood right next to the OPEN back door and did a wee on the carpet. I'm not sure you can call it incontinence as he squatted to do it (he doesn't always cock his leg now he is an old boy). It's not as though he was dribbling wee.

I'm feel a bit at the end of my tether anyway, as I am so tired with the pregnancy and it's the last thing I need with a baby about to arrive and toddler to look after.

Has anyone else experienced this with their dog?

I did , when my dog was 14 and experiencing strokes. There was no cure - we visited the vet who said it was purely down to age . We had to invest in a carpet shampooer and deal with it to be honest :(

She did pass away 6 months later, but this was due to her strokes. X

Yes this happened to our dog a few months ago (she's around 12), turned out to be a bit of an infection so she went on antibiotics, but she started doing it occasionally recently so the vet gave her something for it, which she has to take everyday but can be reduced to 3 times a week...it seems to be working. Good luck, it is a bit of a nightmare!

Our pit bull is 15 this year and she is having issues as well.. we'll let her outside, then she'll come in and pee.. will probably be putting her down before winter, she won't be able to make it in 2 feet of snow.. have a 14 month old crawling around, can't deal with the pee!

My dads Shih Tzu is 14 and he does this, like your dog he did it gradually. Vets have basically said its because he's old and he finds it painful to move so now he's on multiple tablets to make him more comfortable (he also has huge cysts that can't be removed :()

I guess old dogs just get like this "can't be bothered anymore" so they do it anywhere, I'd see your vet though and see if there's any proper issues.

My dads dog does try to do it in the bathroom :haha: bless!

It hasn't happened again, so I think I'll wait and see what happens. If he does it again I'll take him to the vet.

Thank you all so much for replying. It's good to hear that others have experienced something similar.

The back door is almost permanently open in this warm weather and I am always home as I am mostly housebound with horrible pregnancy illness.

I actually had my dog in diapers for a bit(female) But to me the pee is worse then the poop so I would see if I could get him used to a wrap if it becomes a habit. Also see if a puppy pad would be usable for him(factoring in the toddler you may have to gate him off or a bathroom). Can you keep him outside more during the day?

Also rule out a urinary infection.

It is very possible that he has arthritis in his joints and is in pain. I'd ask the vet about giving him glucosamine and chondroitin to help. Stiff and achy joints would make anyone not want to move far distances. :(

There are treats and dog food you can give them that have glucosamine and chondroitin in it. There's also the liquid form of glucosamine as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->