Infected episiotomy and broken down stitches.. *updated with another question*

Windmills

Reaction score
I've had the midwife here this morning, and when she checked my stitches she found that they've burst. I had an episiotomy and a tear, and the stitches in both have broken down and the wounds have become infected :(
It's so sore. Has anyone got any advice on dealing with the pain?
And can anyone tell me what to expect healing wise?

Update-
i finished my antibiotics last night, but the pain is no different. i also think that there's pus coming from it now, when there hasn't been previously.. That shouldn't be happening, should it? :shock: I thought it was supposed to get better once the infection was gone, so I assume it's still there?

I am not exactly having the same thing happen but my c-section scar got infected and the stitches started to open up. I was put on/am on antibiotics for the infection and that does seem to have cleared up the infection and I see the nurse every two days to get the area re-dressed and checked on. The area still looks like it is splitting open if not getting worse but it is not to the point where they have to re-stitch apparently or anything like that. As for the pain I was told all I can have is paracetamol while breastfeeding which quite frankly does not really help considering the amount of pain I am in. All I can advice is trying to take it easy. I am guessing you need to see your GP for antibiotics so if your not breastfeeding then you may as well see if they can advice of pain relief but they may say that if it is the infection causing the pain that it should stop when the antibiotics take effect. The pain has not stopped with the antibiotics for me, I am guessing it is the spiting open that hurts now (but if it continues it could be a sign of a deeper problem in the wound with a c-section).

Hope you feel better soon. :flower:

Thankyou.
I think it is at a point where they'd restitch if they were able to, I'm just so glad I can't see it :lol:
I hope you start feeling better soon xxx

I went through a very similar thing, and after a couple of weeks on antibiotics all trace of infection was gone. Then the healing begain and it took a good while but i found that i was i was still in pain when walking etc, so i went back to the midwife (despite the fact that i was well past her 21 day-ish care, as she was the only one who had seen it at various stages of healing) and she then referred me back to the hosp to the consultant. unfortunately my body hasn't healed in a straight line but all bobbly, (if that makes sense) and i'm on the list to be re-stiched to close what he referred to as an open wound. They generally will wait to see how your heal without the stitches as re-sutchering caan lead to further infections. The pain has certainly reduced and there was a marked difference once the infection had gone. in terms of dealing with the pain, keep going with paracetamol and ibuprofen, (but not neurofen if your BFing) i was recommended to take them alternately so i could cope with the pain, lots of baths (as many as you can fit in) with either the horsechesnut extract stuff or milk with lavender oil in, i also found that pouring water from the back when i went for a wee helped. The other thing that my midwife said which i found helpful was to use a hairdryer to dry yourself down there as usual methods really hurt.

I really hope that you heal soon and that it all goes back to normal quickly for you... when i was going through the worst of this i checked on here and there were many people who healed very quickly and all was fine, some reported a longer healing time but i think as long as you're honest with your dr, midwife, hv about how things are going then you should be able to get the care that you need and deserve.

hope this helps, take care

Thanks Nimbus. At least I know what I could be looking at, my mw was very very vague when I asked her- I suppose because it can vary so much!
It's just hard because it hurts so much and i'm struggling with things like changing the baby and bending down to get bottles out the fridge :(

i know the pain. it will get better. remember that. take your time when doing chores and rest as much as possible. i struggled with this as i just wanted to get out and about, and if i'm honest i did start to get out (complete with pain killers) so i didn't have to do chores! internet shopping was a real blessing as walking for just 15 mins would leave me in an immense amount of pain. in the end i also took up my friends offer of doing some housework for me - felt odd but it was lovely to rest. i'll end up doing the same for her at some stage i'm sure.

my mw was clear from the start that it would be a slow healing process. i had some baby blues mainly relating to my pain and not being able to separate this from my little boy, who needed me and every time i did anything it would hurt. during this time my mw did help me by talking me through what had gone on down there and in the end we had a look together. rather an odd thing, but it did mean that i could check the progress or lack of progress in healing. it is still early days for you, keep positive and make sure that your mw or dr keeps an eye on stuff.

I'm so glad you posted that. It's so similar to how I'm feeling. It's hard because I want to do everything for her, and I end up in tears from the pain and frustrated with the baby when she's just being a normal baby. I'm staying with my mum, which is a blessing when I get to the point of just not being able to cope, but at the same time makes me feel inadequate. I'm struggling a bit with looking after her because of the pain, but I feel so guilty and constantly on the verge of tears that it means I really can't look after her because when she cries, so do I :dohh:

It's like reading an extract from my diary! Please don't feel inadequate... your body needs time to heal. I'm not sure if it was the same for you, but no-one ever mentioned the different things that could happen after birth and how i would feel. I mean, i knew that you had to rest and restrict visitors etc etc, but i had always thought that i'd be able to cope. Accept the help you are offered from your mum, let yourself heal and then once you feel better you'll be able to do all the cool stuff with your little one. I have to say that we're lucky that newborns don't run straight away! I found that i would beat myself up a bit because everyone would say "enjoy them when they're little" or various other things like that which i felt terrible for, because i couldn't. I couldn't separate my pain from the crying, pooping child that i had to have pulled from me because i couldn't manage it... and i desperately wanted to be a perfect mum for. I no longer feel like that thankfully. you can look after her and i'm sure that you're doing a superb job, even if it takes you a bit longer and she cries a bit longer. remember she's crying because she needs something, she doesn't hold a grudge and she's certainly not angry with you.

Thankyou, there were a few things there that I definitely needed to hear. I'm so glad I'm not weird for feeling like this.
You're right, noone prepared me for what could go wrong after the birth. The last few weeks of my pregnancy were hard and I was induced due to preeclampsia in the end. I think in some ways I was so focused on just making it to the end, that I had this vision of life after pregnancy being perfect iykwim? It sounds silly but that's the best way to explain it! And now it's not, obviously, and I wish i'd prepared myself better for what could happen..

ikewym... and it doesn't sound silly. for me, getting pregnant in the first place was great and full of promise. my pregnancy was ok until the end - i too had preecampsia and although i didn't worry about the birth at all, it was my focus and everything beyond birth in my head was going to be amazing because i would have my baby that i had so dearly wanted and wished for, for so long. i think the reason no-one speaks of the tricky times is because not everyone has the same experience and everyone wants and hopes for a trouble free time. There's also the fact that our wounds are temporary, and we will get better. I'm closer to the other side and i have to say that i've found that there is a point where you start to enjoy it more and think of your experience and pain less. those days are super and worth the pain that i've been through as i'm able to enjoy my son more.

The hospital and midwife advised when I had my episiotomy 3-4 drops of lavendar oil and they were spot on. it really did help. mine tokk roughly 8 weeks to heal. But even now I have a tear but the doctor said that will heal on its own x x

Thankyou.
I think it is at a point where they'd restitch if they were able to, I'm just so glad I can't see it :lol:
I hope you start feeling better soon xxx

They won't usually re-stitch so don't panic about that. I had the same thing after Toby (now 2 and a half). I said to the midwife....I have 3 holes:blush:
I got antibiotics and was told not to soak in the bath too long as this can make even more stitches come out as they dissolve. I changed my pad every single hour to keep the area as clean and dry as possible ans it started healing quite quickly after I started doing that and got antibiotics. I must admit I doubted the "hole" would close by itself but it did do:thumbup:

Pain relief....the usual paracetamol was the only thing I took but trying to sit to the side instead of sitting straight down really helped to preven that searing pain:cry:

Hope you heal well and hope you and your baby are otherwise well:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

I've added another question to the first post :( xx

I've had the midwife here this morning, and when she checked my stitches she found that they've burst. I had an episiotomy and a tear, and the stitches in both have broken down and the wounds have become infected :(
It's so sore. Has anyone got any advice on dealing with the pain?
And can anyone tell me what to expect healing wise?

Update-
i finished my antibiotics last night, but the pain is no different. i also think that there's pus coming from it now, when there hasn't been previously.. That shouldn't be happening, should it? :shock: I thought it was supposed to get better once the infection was gone, so I assume it's still there?

I'd go back to see docs or midwife babe to get it checked. You may need more antibiotics, maybe a different sort or different strength. Did you complete the course? :hugs:

Is the puss yellow or clear/white? When your body is healing properly you produce lymph which can look like puss but is not yellow in colour. Either way, if you're worried make sure you see your Dr, mw or hv. I'm only 5 days in but I looked in the mirror to see the damage very early on so that I can check for any changes. Hope you manage to get Itsorted soon x

Yeah, I'm a crank about finishing antibiotics :lol: I was on 2 types, a normal strongish one and one for infected surgical wounds etc. Maybe I just need more as they inky lasted a week, thanks xxx

Dopeyjopey, it's yellow.
I don't feel that checking it myself would have made much difference, as I knew when they went- I sat down on the toilet and felt them pull the wrong way and fresh blood started coming from them. I was already upset about my labour and birth, and I think looking at my stitches, at that time, would have made me feel even worse about myself..

If it's yellow then I'd definitely go back for more antibiotics.

I know what you mean re feeling bad about the labour and birth.. I was a planned home birth and it didn't go to plan at all. That's why my mw showed me the cut - she knew I was expecting much worse. I understand it'snot for everyone though! x

yeah, go see your doctor hun and get some more pills... i was on antibiotics for 5-6 weeks after birth, it can take a while but it will get better.

I've had the same problem with infection and broken down stitches, I have been taking antibiotics for a week along with both ibruprofen and paracetemol for the pain but a few days ago my midwife suggested for me to soak a cotton wool pad in some breast milk and wear it on top of my pad which at first I though was a bit disgusting but I tried it anyway. It has made such a difference, I would definitely recommend it if you can! It has definitely helped with the pain and discomfort if nothing else and it is supposed to have natural antibodies or something which helps with infection and inflammation as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->