Infected finger next to the nail?

BellaBoo0512

Reaction score
Last week I had a bit of skin sticking up next to my nail and I ripped it off just like I've always done. On Tuesday my finger was really sore. Then on Wednesday my finger was still sore and I noticed it was red and slightly swollen. I had a doctors appointment that day for something else and mentioned my finger. The doctor said it was a slight infection and to leave it to fight itself and that if it didn't disappear within a week to go back for anti biotics.

Yesterday I was in so much pain that I went to my local boots. I was advised to put magnesium sulphate paste on the infected area and cover with a plaster. I did this over night and have woke up this morning and my finger seems worse. It's now starting to go green and is hurting so much that I need to take pain killers. Ive woke up twice during the night with it too.

Is there any point in me going to the walk in centre? Or shall I stick with the magnesium sulphate? I was told it should draw the infection out but forgot to ask how long it takes.

Someone please help! X

Is the green bit pus or is the skin turning green? My suspicion would be it is the magnesium doing its job and drawing the infection.

If it is pus then I would sterilise a needle, pop it and squeeze it out. I would then put a bit of tcp on it and cover with a plaster. It should feel much better once the pus is out and the pressure is relieved. This is probably terrible medical advice, but it's what i would do.

If the skin is turning green I would go to a walk in centre.

It's the actual skin turning green. The infection is under my skin somehow :( I feel really silly going to the walk in over an infected finger but the pain is awful! X

I get them all the time, never been docs even tho it hurts like hell and after a week it's gone. Never tried magnesium before, but if my finger was going green, then I'd certainly go doctors or the pharmacy again and ask.
My mum does stick a needle in her finger and pops it...I'm not brave enough haha

I get them all the time, never been docs even tho it hurts like hell and after a week it's gone. Never tried magnesium before, but if my finger was going green, then I'd certainly go doctors or the pharmacy again and ask.
My mum does stick a needle in her finger and pops it...I'm not brave enough haha

I stuck a needle in it too. There is probably pus underneath and the pressure of it is making it sore. It may get better by itself but if you want a quick way this is it!

Stick a needle in it and squeeze it out, it's just green pus under your skin I get them from time to time.

I've had them before and have also done the sterilised needle to prick it. Felt so much better after.

I don't think I'm brave enough to stick a needle in... Got no needles either lol! Going to keep caking it in magnesium sulphate and hopefully it will be better soon :thumbup:

Is it a bad idea to try and pop it with a sharp knife? I can't take this pain for much longer. Hubby thinks I'm over reacting but it's killing me lol x

Pop it with whatever it doesn't matter! The pain is awful I feel for you

Hubby said if I don't stop whinging he is going to cut my finger off :haha:

I pop mine it feels better when it's drained. I just usually squeeze then but anti septic cream on

Will it definately not make it worse if I pop it? There's no blister or anything so I'm not quite sure what to do. Have any of you used the magnesium sulphate paste before? I'm not sure if I'm using it properly :shrug: I've just soaked my finger in red hot salty water for 15 mins and then dried it, put loads of the paste on and then put a plaster over it x

It'll probably keep throbbing till you drain it... Honestly will feel so much better after! Have you got a safety pin?

Honestly, it felt so much better when I did it. Have a drink and pop it!

Nope I've not got a safety pin :( alls I've got is a sharp kitchen knife lol x

ide pop it. any sort of pin, even a notice board pin, sewing needle etc. xx

I've no pins whatsoever in my house :shrug: now my whole hand has gone numb. Did that happen to any of you too? x

Soak the hand in warm Epsom Salts(we use it on the horses to draw out absesses), then pull the skin taught where its sore - it will prob hurt like a bitch! - but this should kind of break the skin a bit and allow the puss out. Id give it a sook to - gross I know - and of course spit out anything you get out. Then soak it again, repeat the process and then steralise and put some germoline or savlon on and a dressing and keep it clean.

I've had this before but mine went yellow, the doctors gave me something for it but can't remember what - the infection started eating my nail too. Go back to the docs hun xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->