Informational books on pregnancy

lexilooski

Reaction score
Hello all! I was looking for some good books on pregnancy. I know about the "What to Expect when you're Expecting" but I was also looking for a book that debunks some of the myths of pregnancy...kind of a "you can do it!" type of book. Right now I'm a little scared which I think is normal. I saw the book "Belly Laughs" by Jenna Mccarthy but I didn't know if it was any good. If you've read any good books please pass it on to me! Thanks!

I bought "Belly Laughs" (before I found out she was a big part of the anti-vaxxer thing, otherwise I would have skipped it)... wasn't worth what I paid for it. It's definitely a lighthearted take on pregnancy, but I suggest getting it from a library if you want to read it. I didn't get any useful information out of it, beyond the fact that some women really do poop on the table, even Playboy bunnies. I did read What To Expect; liked how it was broken down by weeks/months so I could just read what was relevant at the time. My favorite was Expecting 411. No nonsense, straight up like it is, book - just like Baby 411 (which is my current baby bible :haha:). So read some reviews on the 411 books and see if it's what you're looking for. :)

Defnitely normal to be scared! But you can do it, and apparently you get this tiny little human at the end as a prize. It's a pretty good motivation!

What is anti-vaxxer? Sorry I'm really new to all this. I was going to peruse the local library but I'll definitely check out Expecting 411. Is that a good book for waiting to try?

What is anti-vaxxer? Sorry I'm really new to all this. I was going to peruse the local library but I'll definitely check out Expecting 411. Is that a good book for waiting to try?

There's a lot to take in! Basically she believes vaccinations made her son autistic, so she's been preaching from her platform to parents not to vaccinate their children. I won't go into it more because vaccination threads get heated. :dohh:

Expecting 411 was more pregnancy-related, but great if you want information on pregnancy. The What to Expect Before You're Expecting book was pretty decent for waiting/trying. :)

Ah ok! I'm sure there's a lot of controversy over a lot of subjects in this forum! I'll have to check out the What to Expect Before Your Expecting. I just want to absorb as much as a can! Thanks for your help. It very much appreciated! Your baby is absolutely beautiful by the way!

I had the Miriam Stoppard books, they were pretty good

Thanks yo-yo! I'll have to check them out too! I think I'm going to be doing a lot of reading! :)

I don't know if its available in the US but I loved a blokes guide to pregnancy. It was written by a man aimed at men but it gave the information across iv a very lighthearted way.

For info in a light-hearted way, Up the Duff by Kaz Cooke is very very funny. :haha:

I LOVE Birth and Beyond by Dr. Yehudi Gordon! It was my bible for pregancy, labour and most of the first 9months of babes life - didn' bother with parts of it because we choose to do babyled weaning etc.. but a lot of it was GREAT.
For us.. because it worked for us - I also recommend any books by Ina May Gaskin mainly her guide to childbirth - but only if you are interested in going the 'natural' childbirth..
Otherwise I found a wealth of information from other mother's on here for whatever questions I had - keep in mind though that different countries and cultures may have different answers... so you might need to do some research and figure out what make sence for you and what works for your situation/body etc.
Hope that helps.. sorry for being so long winded :haha: :dohh:

You're not being long-winded at all! I love that you're enthusiastic about the information that is available to educate ourselves. I'm so glad that I have found this forum because it's great to interact with such wonderful people!
I LOVE Birth and Beyond by Dr. Yehudi Gordon! It was my bible for pregancy, labour and most of the first 9months of babes life - didn' bother with parts of it because we choose to do babyled weaning etc.. but a lot of it was GREAT.
For us.. because it worked for us - I also recommend any books by Ina May Gaskin mainly her guide to childbirth - but only if you are interested in going the 'natural' childbirth..
Otherwise I found a wealth of information from other mother's on here for whatever questions I had - keep in mind though that different countries and cultures may have different answers... so you might need to do some research and figure out what make sence for you and what works for your situation/body etc.
Hope that helps.. sorry for being so long winded :haha: :dohh:

Hello all! I was looking for some good books on pregnancy. I know about the "What to Expect when you're Expecting" but I was also looking for a book that debunks some of the myths of pregnancy...kind of a "you can do it!" type of book. Right now I'm a little scared which I think is normal. I saw the book "Belly Laughs" by Jenna Mccarthy but I didn't know if it was any good. If you've read any good books please pass it on to me! Thanks!

A book that's exactly this (debunking myths) is Expecting Better by Emily Oster. I'm reading it now and really like it. I think there was some uproar about her conclusions regarding alcohol but what I like about it is that she tells you about the credible studies and you can make your own decisions from there. It's a really interesting read!

My OH bought me a book for christmas called 'expecting a baby' can't remember who wrote it but it is endorsed by one born every minute. It's quite a comprehensive book going from conception to 6 weeks of age.

I only got it yesterday so haven't read it but will let you know when I have.

My OH bought me a book for christmas called 'expecting a baby' can't remember who wrote it but it is endorsed by one born every minute. It's quite a comprehensive book going from conception to 6 weeks of age.

I only got it yesterday so haven't read it but will let you know when I have.

I like 'The Impatient Woman's Guide to Getting Pregnant'. Very matter of fact and cover a lot of the misleading statistics about chances of getting pregnant etc. It's pretty short but a good read!

I think you'd like The Thinking Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer. Here's a list with some more books along that same thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->