inlaws- are you happy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:Im probably going to sounds like a right ungrateful cow... but my In0laws give me naff stuff and I just wish they didnt bother. I've never had a great relationship with them, so I think they just buy me a small somthing out of politness, as im with their son (Been with him over 5 years and recently got married) 2 years ago they got me this cheap, dirty looking smelly set, and I opened early as I knew it would be naff, and I didnt hide it well and when she came round like the week after she saw it and said 'oh didnt realise we gave Jess another smelly set' so they took it back and brought a new one round... a cheapy hat, glove and scarf set, needless to say this was opened early and was put to good use... on the snowman we built in the front garden :xmas13: last year they got me a vile fairy cup (I dont even like them) and my SIL gave me this bit of material, supposidly a scarf thing, and it just smelt of nicotine :sick: went straight in the bin. I do wonder what they will get A for xmas and first birthday... they dont bother with her that much though.

yeh mine gets me nice stuff too. last yr was a nice h&m scarf, a benefit makeup set and escada perfume. It was my birthday a few weeks ago and i got a HUGE bunch of flowers, a leighton denny nailpolish and a ted baker set (the one that was offer of the week at boots) :)

My MIL buys us fab prezzies :) MIL and FIL have just came back from Florida recently and she had bought me an Abercrombie and Fitch cardigan and a huge yankee candle.

i'm usually pleased with what my in-laws get me - because hubby buys it, and they give him the money back! :haha: i do the same for their present to him! and so far they have always given hayden money (and a generous amount, too) to put in his child trust fund. they did once buy our presents themselves and they got me a make-up bag which i suspect was from poundland, and i think hubby got a lynx gift set. they don't buy us birthday presents - they just take us out for a meal, although they did once get hubby a present and he nearly died with shock - it was a very expensive (triple figures :shock:) watch, which i had really wanted to buy for him but couldn't afford. they are a very odd pair.

The worst present I've ever seen given from a MIL to her DIL was a hideous top from Goodwill that still had the price tag on. Such a horrid woman!

Since my DH has 3 brothers and a sister, 1 SIL and 1 BIL, we do the secret Santa with our MIL and FIL. We each draw names and use each other to figure out what that person wants with a $50 limit. MIL isn't usually good at picking me out things. I've received clothing that's too small, and this ugly scarf. Which I still have and only wear once a year around their home.:haha: I'd be happy with kitchen gadgets!!

Then all the children usually pitch in and we get the in-laws something. Last year we bought them a TV. I'm not sure what it is this year. Hopefully, nothing too expensive because we have to move come the first of the year.

Don't have in-laws to buy for/receive from any more but when I did they were pretty good at presents. Except one of my ex's sisters who only bought from pound shop or charity shop lol

Vix I REALLY think you should persuade Adam NOT to buy for any of his siblings if they dont buy for you - but esp if theyre not buying for the kids. He can't really use the 'not fair' card when they don't buy either. Tell him if you bought for them it'd make them feel bad cos they haven't got money to buy for your family (we all know this is a lie as they do have money but it sounds good lol). I'd even tell THEM that if they ask why there aren't any presents from you this year. I just wouldn't buy for ppl who never even get my kid a present - they're taking the piss xxx

We don't really get on with DH's parents, so we exchange very generic, unthoughtful gifts and talk about it as little as possible. Very British passive aggressive :lol:

The Christmas when we were expecting Lily, they did get us a nice rocking nursing chair. It was a really lovely gift and we were really chuffed with it and very grateful. Then we got married a couple of months later and FIL reminded us in front of everyone that the chair was also our wedding present. Ok thanks :lol: we really love the chair, thank you PIL. Then when Lily was born, yep, the chair became a present for Lily :haha:

I probably sound really ungreatful, but just to give you a bit of background, my PIL bought BIL a house and car, then another house and car after he left his wife children for someone he met at work (while his wife was having chemotherapy), they kicked my DH out of the house during his final exams during his maths degree because there 'wasn't' room' despite living in a 5 bedroom house and he was paying a high rent, they didn't offer to contribute anything towards our wedding, and when DH asked his mum if they would buy his suit she said no.

Belive me, that is the tip of the ice berg but this is a Christmas thread so I'm going to stop now :lol:

none of us get anything from MIL or FIL, just OHs grandparents x

MIL&FIL always buy us something for the house, this year were getting a dining table
:)
SIL and her OH always buy something lovely for the kids but not us but then i dont expect it. We buy for them though as they buy for the boys ...

MIL&FIL go a little mad at xmas but they have the money to do it and they like to so i let them for that 1 day a year...Connah is getting a trampoline and Jack a jumperoo.

Really grateful for them despite mine and MILs little tiffs :haha:xx

The in laws are incredibly nice and generous and have just helped pay for our new bed and bedding as part of our Xmas presents. MIL has already spent loads on my niece's presents (not actually related to her) and she puts loads of thought into everything. She still wants to get us a new telly and a laptop for Christmas, we said that she shouldn't and the bed and bedding is way more than enough but she was having none of it.

Last year she got us a PS3 with loads of games and she got me a Chloe gift set (perfume and body lotion) and got both of us some clothes from River Island.
:)

my MIL has the worst taste in gifts ever last year i was 6 months pregnant with Ciaran...What do they buy me......A bottle of Baileys that i couldnt drink. This year im on a diet and lost 2 stone so far and she knows this but is getting be a box of 'nice' chocolate buiscuts that i cant eat!! I'm having a day off on my dies xmas day so i doubt i'll be eating a whole box of buiscuts.
Shes also getting DD2 some pjs in a size 4-5 and shes 3 and in clothes 3-4 so really my poor baby is getting somthing she cant use until her birthday in june Grrrrr!!

I didn't get bad presents from my ex mil... i always left fob to buy from them and i would buy my family and we would just say it was from both of us!...

Vix your FIL sounds delightful!
x

My inlaws are so good with buying presents. They get me lots of nice smellies that I adore! And always pick up a dvd that they know I will enjoy!

MIL and FIL buy me better gifts than they buy OH lol... i would rather they didnt though ( not being ungrateful) its just ive always been brought up with xmas is for children and TBH the only thing i want they cant give me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->