Insatiable Hunger

ExpectingTC

Reaction score
I am 14 weeks tomorrow and I have this insatiable hunger. I cannot explain it.

A little background on me. I'd lost 125lbs through diet and exercise. Had two miscarriages and ate 50lbs back (emotional eating, yay!). I'd lost 15 of the 50 before getting pregnant this time. I was still about 50'ish pounds from my goal. I'm VERY conscious of what I'm eating and trying desperately not to gain a ton of excess weight throughout this pregnancy. I actually ran a half marathon the day I found out Im pregnant this time. I'm used to training and eating clean, but I've NEVER experienced hunger on this level.

My Dr. said he'd like to see me gain 18lbs. I'm going to gain 100lbs if I can't get this hunger under control.

I eat a meal and I'm ravenous within 30 minutes. I'm forcing myself 6to wait 2'ish hours before eating again. I'm not eating junk. Here's what today has looked like:

5am Gym - 30 minutes elliptical (burned ~250kcal)

545am Post workout protein shake (~200kcal)

7am Breakfast: greek yogurt, strawberries & high protein granola. (~300kcal)

930am Snack: Chobani Flip Greek Yogurt (200kcal)

1130am Lunch: Roasted veggies and a chicken breast. (~300kcal)

130pm Snack: Bell Peppers, carrots, hummus, couple rice cakes and pickles. (~300kcal)

I'm at 1300'ish calories at it's only 3pm. And I'm hungry AGAIN!!! I want to cry I am so frustrated.

Anyone else here trying not to gain a ton of excess weight and loosely tracking their food/exercise?

Have you found any good foods that are helping curb your ravenous ways?

I remember with DS I was so hungry all the time, but this time in struggling to eat anything thing. I'm tracking to make sure I'm eating enough at the moment (not helped by having a bad bug last week where I couldn't eat at all). I think about 14/15 weeks even this time I was so hungry but it's calmed down. I pretty active daily plus do a 40 minute pre natal cardio as well, looking at what your eating it's all really healthy so I wouldn't be overly concerned :).

In all fairness what you are eating is perfect! I consider myself to eat clean but looking at your intake mine looks like I eat mcdonalds alot lol

I wouldn't worry, all that nutrious food is going to your LO. It would be a different story if by lunch time you had eaten a pile of junk. Your body is working at its peak now, even before getting pregnant your body needs basic calories to fuel itself then during pregnancy the hormones create havoc with your metabolism making you less hungry or more hungry. Honestly tho you go through your pregnancy doing what you are doing you will have very little weight to losr afterwards.

PS I am very sorry to hear your about your losses, experienced a loss myself last October. Here is to our rainbow babies xx

I'm...I WAS hungry all. Of. The. Time. Like it'd eat a full meal and be starving within 30 minutes! This went on for weeks, it absolutely drove me crazy. It didn't matter if I ate fiber, carbs, snacks or whatever I was constantly hungry.
That SLOWLY started to curve to every hour. I'd have to have a snack of sorts to keep me from getting pissy at work lol
I'm 21.5 weeks now and I can go 4 hours some days. Other days I still feel like I need to snack in between meals.
I've been eating TONS of fruit, sometimes salads, and I'm trying with proteins (big chicken aversion).
Anyway I think bc you're working out so often AND growing a baby that your body is demanding extra calories. I hope it doesn't last long for you, I completely know the feeling!

Thanks, ladies. I talked to a couple of friends that are on the fitness/clean eating band wagon with me and they pointed out that I'm missing whole grains and to try adding them in. Pre-pregnancy carbs/grains made me super hunger so I'm used to eating a naturally lower carb diet. Maybe things have changed now. :)

I'm about 14 weeks too, and my hunger is def spiking now that the morning sickness is over. I'm not counting calories (yet), but I am keeping an eye on weight gain. I really want to loose less than last time. I'd be thrilled with a 25-30 lbs gain.

Looking at what you've eaten for that day, I think you are doing great! How did you finish out the day? Surely you should be eating ~2000 as a minimum, especially as you're exercising? (I could be wrong about that...) Dont stress about the hunger so much, it's natural to be hungry, but if youre eating healthy foods and exercising, you should do well.

Elma - oh boy - it didn't stay clean, that's for sure. LOL. Hunger took over and I had a cheeseburger and small fry for dinner. (~600kcal)

Then I had two mozzarella sticks (~150kcal) and 1/2c. brown rice (~140kcal)

So, I ended the day at about ~2200kcal.

Calorically I was fine, but dear god, my need for a cheeseburger was RIDICULOUS. lol

I'm trying to gym AFTER work today to see if that changes anything with my hunger levels. It's 7:44am and I've had breakfast (chobani flip) and I'm not ready to chew my arm off yet, so maybe I just cant do AM workouts while pregnant?

:flower: sounds like you did pretty well all things considered. Maybe your body is craving an increase in fat intake? Maybe you could try adding more healthy fats like avocado or peanut butter? Or another thing, maybe a larger breakfast or lunch would help you "stay clean" at dinner? But really, looks like you have a good grasp on nutrition, and probably know what to do better than me!

Yeah, it's just so strange to go from "restrict, restrict, restrict" to suddenly being told I'm allowed to gain weight. LOL. My brain has been in weight loss mode for 4 years.

Good call, maybe I'll start bulking my meals up at breakfast/lunch and seeing if that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->