Inside Death Row-Did you watch? -Opinions.

It's not strictly true everywhere that all they do is sit around playing cards etc. I don't see the problem in allowing people to do things whilst they're in there..I think partly because if you had seriously violent prisoners then allowing them to be 'bored' or feel even more against the system, then guards are going to have problems.

If prisoners are bored, then put them to work. I'm okay with earned luxuries for criminals who can be rehabilitated. I'm sorry, if you murdered someone, you no longer have the right to pleasantries. As far as I'm concerned, you can either work for the prison or stare at a blank wall for the rest of your life. That's the least you deserve.

Most do have to earn things, and most do 'work' whilst they're in there. I'm not saying murderers should be living the life of luxury, but many will get out (in the uk anyway), so it just wouldn't be effective to alienate them even further (again it kind of depends on circumstances). When I think of people like Ian Brady, I feel like he should be killed a horrific, slow death (even though he is probably suffering way worse by being kept alive) but there cannot be different rules for different people and, emotions aside, the state should never have the power to decide who lives and who dies.

Combating poverty is something that would never be done not in the uk anyway! You work hard you get an income you don't work you get a grant/dole money which is £80 I think for a fortnight and more if your an alcoholic (doesn't make sense). I agree with some benefits for single parent families and things but I don't think there will ever come a time not in my lifetime anyway that everybody is equal unfortunately it's the society we work in. Not all criminals have had horrific
Backgrounds and have grown up with no money!

I agree get them working. Picking up rubbish, cleaning up graffiti! X

Agree with this, for some crimes prison almost seems pointless...maybe community service whilst being locked up at night? Obviously depending what you've done, this is a thing where I live as you get to the end of your sentence, not sure what it's like everywhere else.

It's not strictly true everywhere that all they do is sit around playing cards etc. I don't see the problem in allowing people to do things whilst they're in there..I think partly because if you had seriously violent prisoners then allowing them to be 'bored' or feel even more against the system, then guards are going to have problems.

If prisoners are bored, then put them to work. I'm okay with earned luxuries for criminals who can be rehabilitated. I'm sorry, if you murdered someone, you no longer have the right to pleasantries. As far as I'm concerned, you can either work for the prison or stare at a blank wall for the rest of your life. That's the least you deserve.

Most do have to earn things, and most do 'work' whilst they're in there. I'm not saying murderers should be living the life of luxury, but many will get out (in the uk anyway), so it just wouldn't be effective to alienate them even further (again it kind of depends on circumstances). When I think of people like Ian Brady, I feel like he should be killed a horrific, slow death (even though he is probably suffering way worse by being kept alive) but there cannot be different rules for different people and, emotions aside, the state should never have the power to decide who lives and who dies.
Ian Brady wants to die. Its more punishment to keep him alive.

Combating poverty is something that would never be done not in the uk anyway! You work hard you get an income you don't work you get a grant/dole money which is £80 I think for a fortnight and more if your an alcoholic (doesn't make sense). I agree with some benefits for single parent families and things but I don't think there will ever come a time not in my lifetime anyway that everybody is equal unfortunately it's the society we work in. Not all criminals have had horrific
Backgrounds and have grown up with no money!

Its not going to happen if nobody tries to combat it. A defeatist attitude doesn't help but a society can be turned around, it happened right here in my country when they changed the system.
I agree though that not all criminals come from bad backgrounds. Sometimes mental health issues are to play but sometimes people are just bad people and sadly nothing will stop them, even the harshest prison system will not deter them as nobody commits a crime expecting to be caught.

Ian Brady wants to die. Its more punishment to keep him alive.

Yeah I know, that's why I said about it's worse for him to be alive, but if the death penalty existed surely he'd be one to go? It would have to be done on a legal basis, not on what is worse for the individual. Sorry not sure if that makes sense haha

Are there any statistics about crime rates and how tough the penal systems are? I can't seem to find anything conclusive!

It's true tho how do you think everybody can be equal in regards to income? It's not going to happen that's society! To be honest I'm just being Frank it won't change we could be having the same discussion in a years time. Unfortunatley the issue is so deeply routed I'm not sure it can be resolved but what we can look into is the justice system! It's crap. An accused person seriously assaults somebody and is asked to pay £250 compensation!!! However that accused person can only afford to pay £2.00 a week! Come off it! When is the victim going to get this compensation 2030!!! Rediculas. The courts and the system need to be more realistic and dish out decent punishment! There are offenders out there that have 2 or 3 fines outstanding which never get paid what's the point. A warrant then gets issued for there arrest and then guess what....... Another fine! Sorry now having a rant lol.

Incomes can't be completely equal of course but they can be more equal than they are right now, like they are in some other countries, and less equal in other counties. Research shows there are less murders in a country where incomes are more equal. And that equality can be changed through measures such as capping high incomes and supplementing low incomes. Its just not a change that some people want, but not wanting that change pays a horrible price.

Again I don't feel all crime has to do with how much money one has in the pocket!!

Did anyone say all crime is related to how much money you have in your pocket?
Reducing even some crime by reducing poverty will be worth it, not just because you are reducing crime but because you are reducing poverty too.

It's a nice theory but it would go down like a lead balloon! I'm not saying your wrong but I'm saying the picture is alot bigger! The problem can stem from many things poverty being one having mental health issues, being addicted to drugs/alcohol or anger management issues, peer pressure and the list goes on. For people who have mental health issues as we discussed earlier 9 times out of 10 this is identified at court and they can deal with it in a different manner! But I'm talking about people who are sentenced to jail because they have committed a crime deemed fit to fit the consequence, I think we should look at harsher sentencing and ensure there time in jail is not a rehab clinic but is a place of punishment! I do agree with aftercare but most of the time it's a waste of public spending! I don't think the victims or there families get as much support so there is something wrong with our system here in the uk!

How many times do I have to tell you that harsher sentencing doesn't work??!!

You can tell me till your blue in the face it's a debate I have a different opinion than you that's how it works. What is said on here is not going to change anything! In my experiences support doesn't always work unfortunately some people would react better being treated firmer!

I'm not telling you my opinion, I'm telling you the facts.

This is something that I have studied.

Ok I can understand your views, I've worked in the courts and I'm now in law enforcement so I'm not sure your views are accurate! That's my opinion!

Her views are proven by statistics. :shrug:

Ok ladies did you know that alot of these stats are miniplated so that the public can feel slight confidence with our justice system.

I see it day in day out and I'm relaying back to you what these offenders tell me and my colleagues and what I see on a daily basis not what a study note said as your aware stats change on a daily basis! I'm telling you from experiences not from stats that may or may not be up to date or 100% correct! Again all I'm saying is I think support doesn't work for most offenders! Please remember reading about a topic and actually living it is completely different!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->