Insurance companies take the p*ss!

BellaBoo0512

Reaction score
Me and OH have had to change cars as we couldn't find any group 1 car seats that would fit in our toyota celica. We have now got a 1.2 vauxhall corsa.. The celica was a 1.8. The car insurance on the celica was £99 per month. We rang the insurance company to change the car thinking it would drop down quite a lot.. Nope! It's gone down to £92 a month.

In the last 5 years OH has had 4 bumps, 1 his fault and 3 through no fault of his own. The insurance company have said that it doesn't matter who's fault the bumps were.. A claim is a claim and that OH is classed as a high risk driver.

So basically, because he has been in the wrong place at the wrong time and had bad luck he is now paying the price!

It is so annoying! 3 of the claims were on the driver at faults insurance so I don't get why it affects hubby's insurance policy?

Has anyone else had the same problem?

It's because it's a corsa.

Sounds also like he didn't protect his no claims

Just because they are a 'boy racer' car. Risk is increased with these types of vehicles and generally you pay more as a result.

About 3 years ago I got quotes for a 1.9 diesls octavia and a 1.1 corsa. The octavia was around £60 cheaper over the year

My oh bought a corsa to drive to his work and save miles on his subaru. It cost us more to insure the corsa than his car. He has had his license 11 years with no claims.

That's absolutely shocking! I wish we had known that about the corsa before we bought it :( it's not fair that insurance companies presume everyone that drives one is a boy racer! My oh only uses the car to go to work and back and for days out at the weekend :(

How old is your oh? May have something to do with it too-when I passed my test at 24, I had a 2 year old vw golf 1.9 tdi-despite just being a mum using it for the school run, it cost £1400 to insure.

Have you tried admiral? They do the cheapest for younger drivers by far and were really helpful.

You may also be able to get cheaper insurance by agreeing to have one of their computers installed in your car that monitor your driving behaviour. We have this. You can log on online and see how you drive!
If your a good driver, next year will reflect in your quote.

How old is your oh? May have something to do with it too-when I passed my test at 24, I had a 2 year old vw golf 1.9 tdi-despite just being a mum using it for the school run, it cost £1400 to insure.

Have you tried admiral? They do the cheapest for younger drivers by far and were really helpful.

You may also be able to get cheaper insurance by agreeing to have one of their computers installed in your car that monitor your driving behaviour. We have this. You can log on online and see how you drive!

He's 28 and has been driving 8 years. We went on price comparison sites and the place he is with (premium choice) matched the cheapest quote.

I could understand it if all 4 crashes were his fault but the first one someone bumped him on the passenger and then a few weeks later someone pulled out of a car park and destroyed the passenger side so it kinda cancelled the first claim out but his insurance won't take it off his policy. Then in 2012 someone slammed on on black ice and OH also slammed on but because of the ice he slid so it was his fault and then last year someone reversed into us on a car park and damaged the passenger side.

I was arguing with the insurance guy and he said that if OH car gets damaged in a crash, even if it's not his fault then his premiums will continue to rise.

It's just not fair!

He's 28 and has been driving 8 years. We went on price comparison sites and the place he is with (premium choice) matched the cheapest quote.

I could understand it if all 4 crashes were his fault but the first one someone bumped him on the passenger and then a few weeks later someone pulled out of a car park and destroyed the passenger side so it kinda cancelled the first claim out but his insurance won't take it off his policy. Then in 2012 someone slammed on on black ice and OH also slammed on but because of the ice he slid so it was his fault and then last year someone reversed into us on a car park and damaged the passenger side.

I was arguing with the insurance guy and he said that if OH car gets damaged in a crash, even if it's not his fault then his premiums will continue to rise.

It's just not fair!
If you claim........I did a quote with no claims made and my original NCD, then I deducted the NCD - it was £10 more, then I added the claim as not my fault (which it wasn't) and it was only £50 a year more. as its undecided its classed as my fault and also for the person who hit me and its gone up £60, so I guess its about £120 a year/ £10 a month more than if I hadn't had the crash......but its still £2 cheaper than my last car and that's with OH on as a provisional - I had a renault scenic 1.6, ive now a zafira 2 litre TDI.

But I agree, car type played a lot........my 106 was £400 a year to insure, and it was a 1 litre. But it was dead easy to steal - just pull back the top of the door and there you go.

I love my Toyota Celica! My insurance is very cheap - £450. Not bad for 140bhp, tax is not nice though.

I would have expected a bigger drop too x

I love my Toyota Celica! My insurance is very cheap - £450. Not bad for 140bhp, tax is not nice though.

I would have expected a bigger drop too x

I miss our celica :( we would of kept it only for not being able to find a group 1 car seat that would fit in it :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->