Insurance (Nurse)

Finny88

Reaction score
So I took my test yesterday and it was positive!! I kinda at a loss what I should do about insurance and going to see the doctor. I start my nursing job Feb. 3rd and I think the insurance kicks in after 90 days and I hoping the have short term disability so when I have my baby I won't be out income. I feel like I will be waiting a long time though. I just know you won't qualify for short term disability if I am confirmed pregnant before applying for it. Kinda stressed about it.

I'm not sure hun as I'm in the UK and don't know about how the system works. Hopefully someone who knows will be along soon!

I know the insurance will have to cover you even if it's a pre-existing condition. As far as short term disability.. If you're diagnosed pregnant before the policy takes affect then it probably won't cover it. Each company is different with their policies though. I would just check when you get hired on.

I don't think it's wise to for-go prenatal care in hopes that you'll qualify for disabilty leave though. Take care of you and baby and worry about the leave in 9 months. Maybe you can save enough to cover your expenses for a few months. It's possible. That's my opinion though.

First congratulations on the pregnancy and the new job. I am a nurse as well.

I know here in Iowa the OBGYN will not see you till you are 8-10 weeks along. How far along are you? This way you will see how many appointments you would need prior to your insurance starting.

Also I am unsure what your financial situation is but you can apply for medicaid for the time you are without insurance. The income guidelines are higher for pregnant women. Worth a shot and it is only for a brief time.

Sometimes doctor offices (i.e., Unity Point Clinics, etc.) offer a program called F.I.N.A. and if you can qualify you would be on like a sliding fee where you are only responsible for a certain percentage.

Worst case is you have to pay for the first doctor appointment or two till your insurance kicks in. Speak to the doctors office about a payment plan if needed.

As for short term disability make sure that the policy pays when on maternity leave. Some do not. Sometimes you are only allowed the 12 weeks FMLA----and that is unpaid leave but they will hold your job.

Good luck!:flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->