Internal examination before due date?

First timemum

Reaction score
Hi, I just wanted to know if it is routine for the obstetrician to perform an internal examination before the baby's due date? At my recent appointment, my ob stated that next week he wanted to perform an internal (have a look at cervix etc). I will be 39 weeks at that point. My main concern is that he will do a membrane sweep. I mentioned to my ob that I am not in any rush to have my baby (wait till mother nature decides if it is time). I am now starting to feel anxious about the prospect of the ob. performing a sweep as I know that this is a form of induction and I do not want to bring labour on yet (would prefer bubs to arrive in January rather than NYE). I think that I will make a clear point of it before he does the internal next week. But is it normal to perform an internal before the due date ? - I have no complications with the pregnancy and the baby's head is engaged.

You don't have to have any internal at any time during your pregnancy or labour unless you say you want them.

At your next appointment, mention you absolutly don't want a sweep. If you say you don't want it, he has no right to force it on you or make you feel uncomfortable about it. Same goes for an internal.

My baby doc said that at 37 weeks (I think? Lol) he wants to do an internal exam and that it is indeed routine (I asked, hehehe) and I am sure that if you mention to him that you dont want a membrane sweep again, help remind him of your concern, that he will talk to you about it and let you know why it is he wants to do the exam. He doc told me why it was he was going to be doing the internal but I was have concentration issues because he had a med student with him that made it awkward. Luckily he wont have any more med students and next appointment I will get to pay more attention. :)

Thanks guys for your input - i'm also curious from non-first time mothers whether in your previous pregnancies it was routine to have an internal exam before or around your due date. I am definitely going to make it absolutely clear with my ob that I do NOT consent to a membrane sweep - and ask specifically what will happen during the internal exam and what he will be looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->