Introducing Food @ 3 Months

When Dan was born I was advised to wean him at 3 months!!!! because I lived at home at the time I took my mothers advice and started weaning at 2 months (mothers know best) by 5 months he was off formula and eating what we were eating (omg I was a stupid f***) at the moment he is a very healthy 10 year old, never had a complaint with him at all apart from asthma.
With Dec I done things my way, I started him on rice at 21/2 months (with HV blessing) at 3 1/2 months I started introducing small bits of puree fruit and veg by 5 1/2 months he was on stage 2 baby food and now that he is 9 months he eats what we eat. I have had help and advice from my HV (who I dont like) through out because he was always a very hungry baby, he is normal weight for his age and is a very happy and healthy boy.
I say each child and mother is different, you know your baby best, do what you think is best for your baby and dont let anyone question your mothering skills for doing what you want.

oh and Marchbaby Colton is adorable and it looks like he is healthy, happy and well loved, I think you are doing a fantastic job. xxx

Thanks!
And this is what I am going to do with Colton. By 5.5-6 months I want him on stage 2 foods; and instead of just popping it on him all at once I am slowly introducing them.
The only thing his pediatrician said was not to introduce meats until 9 months. I dont know if I will wait that long. My mom said she waited for those until we were 7 months because they are thicker; so I probably wait until at least 7-8 months. When did you give dan and dec meats?

When Dan was born I was advised to wean him at 3 months!!!! because I lived at home at the time I took my mothers advice and started weaning at 2 months (mothers know best) by 5 months he was off formula and eating what we were eating (omg I was a stupid f***) at the moment he is a very healthy 10 year old, never had a complaint with him at all apart from asthma.
With Dec I done things my way, I started him on rice at 21/2 months (with HV blessing) at 3 1/2 months I started introducing small bits of puree fruit and veg by 5 1/2 months he was on stage 2 baby food and now that he is 9 months he eats what we eat. I have had help and advice from my HV (who I dont like) through out because he was always a very hungry baby, he is normal weight for his age and is a very happy and healthy boy.
I say each child and mother is different, you know your baby best, do what you think is best for your baby and dont let anyone question your mothering skills for doing what you want.

oh and Marchbaby Colton is adorable and it looks like he is healthy, happy and well loved, I think you are doing a fantastic job. xxx

Thanks!
And this is what I am going to do with Colton. By 5.5-6 months I want him on stage 2 foods; and instead of just popping it on him all at once I am slowly introducing them.
The only thing his pediatrician said was not to introduce meats until 9 months. I dont know if I will wait that long. My mom said she waited for those until we were 7 months because they are thicker; so I probably wait until at least 7-8 months. When did you give dan and dec meats?

Dan was eating everything by 6 months!!! wouldnt advise this. Dec didnt get meat until he was 71/2 months firstly he didnt get teeth until 7 months and secondly my HV advised we waited until then, we were trying to wait until 8 months but Dan gave him chicken one dinner time and he loved it so much, but he wouldnt get meat every day and it is mostly chicken now that he is 9 months I am going to start giving him a bit more.
I was the same with the stage 2 I gave him little bits here and there but it got a a stage were he would have a stage one jar and a bottle then be hungry 1 hour later so at 51/2 we started to let him have it full time. We never used stage 3 I thought it would have been a waste of money seeing as he was eating bits of our food anyway. xx

Dan was eating everything by 6 months!!! wouldnt advise this. Dec didnt get meat until he was 71/2 months firstly he didnt get teeth until 7 months and secondly my HV advised we waited until then, we were trying to wait until 8 months but Dan gave him chicken one dinner time and he loved it so much, but he wouldnt get meat every day and it is mostly chicken now that he is 9 months I am going to start giving him a bit more.
I was the same with the stage 2 I gave him little bits here and there but it got a a stage were he would have a stage one jar and a bottle then be hungry 1 hour later so at 51/2 we started to let him have it full time. We never used stage 3 I thought it would have been a waste of money seeing as he was eating bits of our food anyway. xx

Yeah, I'm probably going to do the same with meat. Wait until 7.5-8 months. He already has teeth though.
I was planning on putting him on our food/stage 3 around 9 months aswell. I asked my mother about it and she said she never really used stage 3 that much.. only if she didn't feel like cooking :dohh: or they were out for the day. Which I will probably do the same; just keep a few around for just in case instances. lol. :)

Here the suggestion is the average baby is ready around 6 months, but some are ready earlier and some are ready later. The baby should be able to hold their own head and neck up and steady before being given solids. For some this can be 4 months, for others it could be 6 or later.

Well I spoke to my HV about it and she said nothing other than milk until 12 months now ?? lol

12 months??! That's a long time to wait to eat! Can babies wait that long?? :shrug:

Has it changed again ??? 12 months wow thats a long time to wait.

12 months?! As far as I know the WHO, Food Standards Agency etc. are all recommending 6 months still (and not before 17 weeks) x

hi all! :)
as far as i am aware we have been told 6months to, according to HV, here in the UK.
I'm not sure if we're going to make it to that or not, my Princess is rather hungry :rofl:
Lets face it we're all sensible adults and no body wants to harm their baby so in my opinion it seems best to ask lots of advice and go with the flow, im sure ur baby will tell u if not. But thats just my opinion.
all your babies r gorgeous ladies and u all look like your doing fantastic jobs :hugs:

Jasmine first had baby rice at 31/2 months as she was always hungry so the hv told us to give her a few spoonfuls once a day, she loved it at 41/2 months we started on cereals which she loves, she now has a dinner and a pudding aswell and is doing great on them

We first introduced our daughter to baby rice at 6 months (mixed with breast milk) she took to it slowly and we gradually added vegetables that we had pureed into it (brocolli (sp?), carrott and parsnips etc) we did this until she was about 7 1/2 months.

We then gave her the pureed vegetables on there own and added boiled water to them to make them smooth.

At about 8 months we started to mix things together like sweet potato, carrott and fish (go through it completely to check for bones). After this we started to blend things more chunky and add chicken and other meats to it.

When our daughter was 10 months we no longer needed to use the blender as she could eat lumps. We would give her pudding rice (it's a shorter grain, it is not sweet at all) with broccolli (sp?) and chicken or small pasta shapes with sieved tomatoes (fresh).

The whole process of getting them onto food and eventually eating lumps and foods that we eat takes about 4 months.

I hope this helps and gives you some ideas, good luck with the journey.

xxx

12 months??? :shock:

I don't think thats correct :nope:

Breast milk or formula is meant to be an important part of their diet for the first 12 months...maybe that's what she meant? x

Jack has cow and gate banana porridge at breakfast like two teaspoons, and then his milk. At lunch time he has half a jar of food and milk, and then at dinner time the other half of jar and milk with baby rice before bed at 9pm.

Well after seeing the HV at Jacks last injection, she gave the go ahead to start weaning slowly as he is a big baby. He started on 1 tspn of baby rice mixed with formula once a day (after his bottle) which he loved from the first bite - he sat & opened his mouth ready & waiting for it:dohh:
He had the plain rice for a week then he tried the rice with a tspn of apple puree mixed into it so it had a tiny bit of flavour.
He now has two little meals a day (only after he has drunk his milk as this has to be his main source of nutrition) he usually has a bit of rice with puree mixed in or a couple of tspns of a pureed Hipp organic jar for his dinner (he has tried potato & parsnip & potato & carrot both of which he loves - will alternate between the two for a while now before introducing any more) & then plain baby rice for tea. He always finishes the bowl & seems to want more, but I know as he is young to start we need to take our time. In addition to this he still has about 6-7 6oz bottles a day - he is a hungry lad!

I thought I'd stick my 2p into this one!

The reason a lot of medical types say "don't start feeding before 6 months" is because ALL babies are ready for proper food by the time they get to 6 months of age - their digestive system needs time to mature outside of the womb and at 6 months that's all done.

Before 6 months some babies are ready and some are not and if you start shoving loads of stuff in a baby that isn't physically ready for it you can do more harm than good to babies digestive system.

The reason it "changes" all the time, well basically science, is out there doing all sorts of tests and experiments to find out what does what and when it does what and how it does what... the advice will always change, but it doesnt mean it's not vaild. The latest advice is that breast is best for first 6 months - but that doesnt mean a baby on forumla isn't going to do well and it doesn't mean that you cannot try giving your baby solids before they are 6 months. But don't think the advice is some secret conspiracy to annoy new parents, it's there to help. Like ALL advice you get with a new baby (and lets face it we get it from every bloody direction possible) take it into consideration but follow your instincts.

Getting started with solids... just take it slow, don't be in a rush to get baby eating everything under the sun, you will soon miss the ease of breast/bottle only lol.

Besdies which the day of finding your child with a face full of mud is just round the corner (I know this lol) :rofl:

Sabby-Great advice. I was worried what Jack was eating but he is the right weight and is very long, taking that into consideration if he didn't want it he wouldn't eat it...?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->