Introducing water...

wiiwidow

1st timer!
Reaction score
Any suggestions? O is needing to drink more water but I can't seem to get him to :shrug: He won't drink it from a bottle because it's not milk :dohh: Have tried a doidy cup, and the water just goes in, sits in his mouth and dribbles back out again!

Not sure what else to try without buying a billion different drinking vessels for children :shrug: and trying them all!

I would normally say perseverance but if your wanting him to up his fluids quickly then maybe try one of the first stage beakers? We tried a tommee tippee one and we migh of been lucky but he took to it straight away, was a good bridge between bottles and a cup for us

I tried a non-spill beaker with my DD at that age, and she didn't figure out how to use it. So I got one of the simple tommee tippee free flow cups, and she took to that one no problem!

Have you tried a little baby juice? Gradually dilute it more and more until he is taking the water.

Perseverence! Just keep giving it to your LO, even if he does dribble it out, he'll get used to it. My two hated water! I just offered it to them with every meal even if they spat it out and eventually they got used to it. Now they cant get enough! Also have you tried from a cup? Mine hated the sippy cups, but when I offered it to them from my cup, they drank it! (altho they did get a little down their front).

Thanks all, I'll try again today and maybe try from my cup too. Not tried juice yet, haven't managed to find baby juice and wasn't sure whether diluted normal juice was ok? Otherwise will get hold of a tommee tippee one like you've suggested...good to know that perseverance should work! :)

wiiwidow, I saw baby juice suitable from 4 months in superdrug earlier :thumbup:

I am going to try my LO with some water in a sippy cup tonight.

Hey Loupey :hi: thanks for that...will pop out and get some. Tried the doidy cup again today...slight success but not much, most went down his front lol! When you say sippy cup, what are they? Sorry :dohh:

Hmm perhaps that's just what I call it :blush:

This is the one i've bought...https://www.tommeetippee.co.uk/product/first_cup_4_months___/

Tbh I was a cheapskate and got it in poundland :haha: Just because i'm not convinced she'll take to it. If she does then i'll spend more money on the next one!!!!

I'm going to google doidy cup cause I don't know what it is :shrug: Just googled!! I don't think Coralie would get on well with that, i'm dreading using the sippy cup LOL

Thanks thought you might have meant that one...let me know how it goes :)

Am going to keep trying but may get hold of one of them too...plus pop to superdrug! Lol :) good luck with the sippy cup!

We use a Doidy, and after a week or so he is getting better at drinking from it, we have to hold it to his mouth at the moment though. We have tried all kinds of other vessels lol and none have been any good. I have tried using some myself and am not surprised as they are so hard to get the drink out of. I have taken valves out too but still get nowhere. I have one other last one to try, a Brother Max one, so will try that next and report back!!
xx

Please do...all reports great fully received in the meantime will persevere with the doidy for now! :)

No idea what a doidy is :blush:

We use a sippy cup, I bought three and she has found her favorite from one of those. I did try water in her bottle, but she would only take it when it was really hot weather. Now she drinks about 1/2 cup to a full cup a day. Keep trying! xxx

Thank you :) a doidy is basically a cup but it's on a slant so you don't need to tip it loads, and you can still see the water iykwim? Ah probably easier to send a link https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0018PJ...de=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B0018PJXO0

I've tried the sippy cup & am pleased to report it was a success!!! It was messy, water got everywhere but she definately managed to drink some :thumbup:

Actually it was too successful, she wouldn't let go of it once I showed her it had handles lol :dohh:

They sell these in superdrug too, albeit for £2. I feel like such a cheapskates :haha:

Quick question - but why does he need to drink more water? Babies under 6 months don't generally need extra.

:flower:

If their formula fed I think they need extra if it's hot! I've introduced water for my LO as I've begun weaning & my HV said I should offer water with solids.

If their formula fed I think they need extra if it's hot! I've introduced water for my LO as I've begun weaning & my HV said I should offer water with solids.

With solids, it's different, although I still don't plan on offering water until after 6 months old (on advice from my HV). Unless there's signs of dehydration or they're constipated. It's just that too much water can be dangerous for a young baby.

Mainly because he's formula fed and has started having some baby rice for various reasons. I've noticed his poo getting a lot thicker and wanted to be sure I could get him to have a small amount of water. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->