Iphones?

I actually think there may be a link between restrictions on tech time and desire to have more tech time. I have never given any of my 3 limits for iPads etc and the only one who spends more time gaming etc is my 13yo who had autism so that's not really a true representation. My 6yo has iPad etc and she spends most of her day cutting up bits of paper and spreading it about the living room cleverly disguised as art!! I can't remember the last time she was even on her iPad so we are talking weeks. Eldest is 15 but by that age they are all on their phones, she did however come home and show me the latest 'group chat' which is her 4th year physics class. Without a smartphone she would be left behind...

I am a childminder and I have noticed this too, the children that have no tv/gadget limit dont really bother with them and the kids that have limits are constantly begging to have them.

Dec has no limits on anything, he has his own laptop, xbox360, xbox one, ipad mini, ipod and tablet but he much prefers to be outside running around, he is being assessed for adhd so I dont know if that plays a part, I honestly cant remember the last time he used any of his xboxes, I seem to have claimed his laptop and his older brother seems to have claimed his ipod :haha: He does use his ipad to play games with friends over skype and watch youtubers but thats it.

I noticed son zoning out to much = worse behaviour...also he will have plenty of time for phones. He does not need to text friends at 12yr old.

12? I think most 12yo are texting/messaging these days. While they don't NEED to text, neither did we NEED to phone our freinds when we were 12, but we still did it (for hours as well) it's just a more up to date way to communicate. Most companies have moved to electronic mail where possible, in fact just yesterday we got a note home from school saying they will no longer be sending out paper notes etc and that everything will be done via text/email. I don't think there is anything wrong with that level of progression, which is not much different to a 12yo these days using text over a voice call. It's just moving with the times :shrug:

I noticed son zoning out to much = worse behaviour...also he will have plenty of time for phones. He does not need to text friends at 12yr old.

12? I think most 12yo are texting/messaging these days. While they don't NEED to text, neither did we NEED to phone our freinds when we were 12, but we still did it (for hours as well) it's just a more up to date way to communicate. Most companies have moved to electronic mail where possible, in fact just yesterday we got a note home from school saying they will no longer be sending out paper notes etc and that everything will be done via text/email. I don't think there is anything wrong with that level of progression, which is not much different to a 12yo these days using text over a voice call. It's just moving with the times :shrug:

He only turnt 12 last week. He still sees his friends. They just go and call for each other, or ring land line. I think it opens up to bullying and lots of stuff kids are not ready for at 12. I can see you wont agree. So I just think to agree to disagree on this. I am not against technology. Mine know how to use it, but they do not rely on it. They are capaple of email and calls. They know how to use computers and phones! I see 12yr old kids of my friends on instagram and some of its so cringy.

I actually think there may be a link between restrictions on tech time and desire to have more tech time. I have never given any of my 3 limits for iPads etc and the only one who spends more time gaming etc is my 13yo who had autism so that's not really a true representation. My 6yo has iPad etc and she spends most of her day cutting up bits of paper and spreading it about the living room cleverly disguised as art!! I can't remember the last time she was even on her iPad so we are talking weeks. Eldest is 15 but by that age they are all on their phones, she did however come home and show me the latest 'group chat' which is her 4th year physics class. Without a smartphone she would be left behind...

I am a childminder and I have noticed this too, the children that have no tv/gadget limit dont really bother with them and the kids that have limits are constantly begging to have them.

Dec has no limits on anything, he has his own laptop, xbox360, xbox one, ipad mini, ipod and tablet but he much prefers to be outside running around, he is being assessed for adhd so I dont know if that plays a part, I honestly cant remember the last time he used any of his xboxes, I seem to have claimed his laptop and his older brother seems to have claimed his ipod :haha: He does use his ipad to play games with friends over skype and watch youtubers but thats it.

I think it sounds great for him, what works for one doesn't always work for another.

I had an extremely overprotective mother who banned/restricted everything with no logic or fairness and it just backfired. There has to be give and take, and being responsible and trustworthy should be rewarded or they start to wonder what the point is if they're not going to be trusted anyway.

I've noticed that with some children with limits too. DS doesn't have limits, but he has Aspergers and is very logical, so if for example you speak to him about the damage that will happen to his eyes if he uses a screen for too long then he takes it on board and self-regulates.​

So to update on the iphone dilemma, I sat him down and had a chat, I told him I wasnt totally against him having an iphone but with him already having an ipad and an ipod there was no sense in having an iphone just yet, so he said if he cant have an iphone he would like a 3ds :dohh: he traded in his 3ds a few months ago because he didnt play it :shrug: but now he really needs one now as there is new pokemon games coming out :wacko: Anyway for now he seems to have forgot about the iphone.

Thanks for all the replies, it was interesting seeing everyones views :flower:

He loves pokemon, he collects the trading cards and plays some game on his ipad, I remember dan going through a pokemon phase about 11-12 years ago, if only I had of kept all his stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->