Irritation between baby's butt cheeks

zorak

Reaction score
Hi,

My 3 week old has developed irritation between his buttocks. He has had a couple of instances of this now and we use Bordeaux's Butt Paste and it does go away but then comes back again. Part of me thinks it might be due to the wipes so I am going to try a different brand. He is exclusively breast fed and is still at the stage where his poos are like watery yellow slime - we make sure to change him straight away.

I am going to give him some naked butt time (not looking forward to that little fountain!) but was thiniking what else we could use instead of the wipes. I tried cotton wool and water but it was so time consuming and not v practical. We use disposable diapers.

It is not too bad just now but I really want to combat it before it gets worse. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

I dont know if this helps at all, but in the first few weeks, my baby had a lot of diaper rashes in the beginning. I don't know if it was related or not, but my baby has a milk protein allergy.

Either way, I just kept on it with changing and butt paste. If it gets too bad though, be sure to call your doc.

Some squares of cotton fabric maybe? I just bought a bunch of facecloths to use for wipes. Not sure what facecloths gets called in other countries, they are squares of towel fabric.

I found coconut oil to help my LO when she had irritated skin, and diaper rashes, its great for lots of things, so if it doesn't work for you it isn't a waste of money.

Poor babies have such sensitive skin, it is so hard!

Oops I forgot one thing.. I also use this for homemade baby wipes, its just with paper towel so you throw it away after you use it.

https://naturesnurtureblog.com/2013/06/04/homemade-natural-baby-wipes/

I really like it, and I find its easier on her skin.

I used olive oil and cotton wool when LO had a sore bum, really gentle but effective at cleaning :) nappy free time is also great, just put some towels down.

My LO has gotten rash because of the wipes. Sometimes if it's particularly bad I put coconut oil on a cotton ball and wipe her with that instead. Coconut oil is great for diaper rash! Also I use Bag Balm...sounds weird but it works miracles. We went from an open-sore bright red rash to totally normal overnight! :thumbup:

Ours got a bad rash from yeast infection. The doctor gave us prescription cream to use with the regular. They've been fine for awhile now so we just use the regular to prevent.

We used Water Wipes when he was a newborn as they have no chemicals

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WaterWipes-Super-Value-Box-Total/dp/B007L3JHEO

I loved them, but shop around for the best prices.

After he was a bit older we used a non-fragrance nappy wipe. When we used a strong wipe (borrowed it when we were out) he got a bit of nappy rash, I used some nappy rash cream and it got worse! :dohh:

Now if he is ever a little sore I use Sudacrem which works well - but that is rare.

If its in between his bum cheeks only it should like its not getting dried proportly after a bath or nappy change.

I'd try the cotton wool and water again. It doesn't take much longer than wipes. I have a container with the cotton wool in and a container of water.

I have noticed if we only use wipes for a few days or longer (such as on holiday) she gets a bit red.

What lozzy21 says. After you've cleaned up the poop, grab a tissue and dab LO's bum dry. My LO also had bad nappy rash but drying him off prevents it.

Oh, and as some other ladies are saying - ditch the wipes. I use baby wash cloths (little fabric squares) and warm water, then I soak the cloths and chuck 'em in the washing machine and reuse. No chemicals, no expense of buying new packets all the time.

I'd go back to plain water and cotton wool or reusable wipes. It really isn't impractical or time consuming in my experience.

I just use water and cotton wool pads. Sometimes my little man gets a little red between the 'cheeks', but his poo's are quite vinegary (you can smell it!) - he's EBF, but just an acidic baby I think (he's on Ranitidine and only gets 'vinegary' if he outgrows his dose or voms it up).

Sudocream... I bought an industrial size tub (as it's good for my hormone spots) and he voms a lot so I use it on his neck and chest to protect him there as well. It's amazing stuff and you only need very little (it's very thick so go easy - a little dab goes a long way - anything more and your baby looks a little 'pasty').

My lo gets red every now and then. I also use the butt paste (love that stuff), and that's worked pretty well so far. They also make a maximum strength butt paste, which I use only when it gets severe and that seems to clear it right up. Also, when the rash gets bad (only happened two or three times maybe) then I stop using wipes and just wet a paper towel with water instead. I do use wipes in general, but I buy the natural ones without fragrance.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I have a feeling his bottom wasn't getting dried properly. I've now got a loo roll in his change box and have been using it to dab him dry with. That and air time seems to have helped. It's not a bad rash at all but I know these things can turn nasty so wanted to head it off before it got worse.

I have to say that this product has been our saving grace for our new little newborn. The last couple months have been just.....really really hard. I know that as a parent you are suppose to say that its a miracle and its perfect, but its just really difficult. She had a chafing problem because of the diapers and we couldn't do the cloth ones because I can't stand washing poop, I'm sorry its just not for me. Anyways, her skin was always had some type of redness to it. In her vagina, in her butt, and she was always upset about it. I can't blame her. I tried everything. From changing her all the time to letting her run around naked with no diapers. Nothing worked. My husband went and got me this baby butt cream called Anti Monkey butt and the powder. I used the cream during the night and the powder during diaper changes. In three days, we noticed a big difference, mainly because she was happy. She was running around acting like herself again. I was so shocked that I started to cry. It's been so hard....thank god something worked....sigh.....anyways, new moms out there check out their site if your curious. :)

Make sure he is dry, that's the most important thing. We had to go to washing our baby with water, wipes irritate her skin. It wasn't an easy change, but it's better than seeing her uncomfortable.

I make my own "butt balm" (using a recipe I found online). I use it until the rash is completely gone, but it's completely safe to just keep on using it. It contains beeswax, which coats the tushie and keeps the poo from eating away at poor baby's skin. Since my baby started eating solids and teething, he got awful diaper rash, and this has been amazing for us.

This is a link to the recipe I use, but I skipped the essential oil because I was in the first trimester of pregnancy when I made it. :) I used some of an old package of baby oatmeal with probiotics. It's wonderful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->