Is a false negative possible?

CAmanda

Reaction score
I bought a simple CVS Pharmacy Brand test today. I made the mistake of buying one and not two. I wasn't sure if peeing on the stick too much would cause a false negative or not, but I hadn't been sure where my stream was and it got all over it. By the time I went to cap the test I could see the screen fill and it was at the negative. The negative line shows up well. The secondary box line was more blurry and seemed to not be complete. Two hours later I cracked it open just being curious and noticed a lot of the blue dye ended up on the very end.

Back in June I tested Negative on a urine test through my doctor. However, I haven't had a period since May. We are now nearing September and I haven't had a period. Is it possible to have a false negative on urine test in general? This is all new to me and I'm wondering if I messed up on this one and if the one in June had been too early. Or would a blood test be my better option now?

Yes, it is possible to get a false negative if your HCG levels are not high enough for the HPT to detect. You should have gotten a positive test by now though if you were pregnant. Is there a chance you could have PCOS for why you have not got your period yet? I would talk to your gynecologist about it hun. Blood tests are pretty reliable because they can test HCG levels a lot lower than an HPT can.

Yes, it is possible to get a false negative if your HCG levels are not high enough for the HPT to detect. You should have gotten a positive test by now though if you were pregnant. Is there a chance you could have PCOS for why you have not got your period yet? I would talk to your gynecologist about it hun. Blood tests are pretty reliable because they can test HCG levels a lot lower than an HPT can.

I might go in for a blood test. I know from prior to this that my ovaries are fine. The doctor had done an ultra sound earlier in the year and said everything was normal. June was my first missed period. And from my visit with my doctor back in May she informed me my thyroid and everything else was pretty normal. In July I saw a gynecologist but he didn't run any test and told me it was normal not to get it. And if I wanted to get pregnant to take birth control...

But he also didn't prescribe birth control. My period has been normal for the most part until recently. Some had been shorter than others but I have always been getting it.

I'm very confused by a gynaecologist who would recommend contraception to conceive?? If you haven't stopped any hormonal contraceptive recently then no period since May is highly unusual, in the absence of PCOS or an endocrine disorder. I would seek a second opinion CAmanda.....and if doing any further pregnancy tests then collect first morning urine in a small clean container and dip the test in the sample...much easier than trying to pee on it. Goodluck....

I'm very confused by a gynaecologist who would recommend contraception to conceive?? If you haven't stopped any hormonal contraceptive recently then no period since May is highly unusual, in the absence of PCOS or an endocrine disorder. I would seek a second opinion CAmanda.....and if doing any further pregnancy tests then collect first morning urine in a small clean container and dip the test in the sample...much easier than trying to pee on it. Goodluck....

As of today I have one faint positive and another negative. From all four of my sisters pregnancies she had faint positives as well. I'll be taking myself to a different doctor next week to be tested, as I called my office to ask for a blood test and was informed they didn't do that testing there... even though there's an office upstairs they send me to for all blood work that could do it. I'm assuming he suggested the birth control as a form of regulating my period and getting it to start again. So I could get off it and try and get pregnant a couple of months after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->