Is anyone a student and pregnant? Feel really alone! :(

angelic_one

Just me & my monkey <3
Reaction score
Hey, I wondered if there is anyone out there who is a student and pregnant. I've found it really lonely so far. There's literally no help out there, it seems like every door is shut and there's noone else in the same situation. The only real solid support I have is my boyfriend (also a student btw)

Am a third year student studying History. I wanted to take a year out, but I discovered I wouldn't be entitled to claim benefits because I'd still be classed as being "in full time education". And I only work 8 hours with no chance of more, so I couldn't rely on that. I tried to get a full time job but was unlucky in the current climate. So I've basically been forced to carry on with my studies, which I'm happy about now but is very worrying. Baby is due 17th December, which is the final day of term. If she comes early, I'll be screwed. And I'll stuggle anyway to do assignments and attend classes, etc while 6-9 months pregnant, and then when I go back in January after Christmas, baby will still only be 2-4 weeks old!!!

It's not ideal, but by the time baby is 5 months, I'll be finished, I'll have a degree, and hopefully will have been able to save enough money from my loan to mean I don't need to up my hours too much for a while when my MA finishes. So I can then spend maybe about 6 months mostly with her, deciding my next move, and hopefully all the hard work will pay off and I'll be able to get a good job I enjoy and have the money to raise her well. Boyfriend is going straight into a PGCE after he finishes, so within 2 years he'll hopefully be a teacher!

It'd be lovely if I could find anyone who could even slightly relate, tbh. :(

IM NOT A STUDENT AT THE MOMENT BUT I WILL BE SHORTLY IF ALL GOES TO PLAN IM JUST WAITING FOR THE INFORMATION BUT IM A GREAT LISTENER AND ALOT OF MY FRIENDS COME TO ME WHEN THEY HAVE PROBLEMS SO IF U NEED SOMEONE TO TALK TO IM HERE IM 16 WEEKS THIS IS MY FIRST CHILD THO!!!

https://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev040bss__.png

https://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj242/beccajustice/Quotes%20and%20sayings/03.gif

https://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq150/shawty45_90/QUOTES/big3924309.gif

https://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq150/shawty45_90/QUOTES/mommyhastattooz.jpg

i am exactly the same as u , t my baby is due in feb, my uni have been very helpful, but i travel to uni taking an hour on the motorway there, and back so me and my partner have said its not really viable, so am having a year of intermitannce, however my partner has a good job to support me until i go bak to uni next year but omg, does uni no about this, maybe they can put extenuating circumstances in, however, this is not an ideal situation and i would advise against it. Man u is going to be stressssed outr of ure head.

what about mom and dad? cant they help, its not all about money surely, when baby is born u get maternity allowance, so that should cover u, then u will be entitled to income support until u go back to uni? i now it is a hassle but i sure u would be entitled to benefits cuz i went into the jobcentre and they wanted confirmation of intermitance so u wont go without anymoney u just might have to wait,
luckily i have just started a new job so wont be signing on but i am sure by how far gone u will be claiming income support.

hope this has been some help to u?

I'm also a student, full time, studying to work with kids and adults with disabilities. I'll be finished theory in February, and then have to do a 600 hour placement. I'm due at the end of April, so I won't be able to finish my placement on time.

I'm also about to be a single mom, and feel very alone.

Nah I got the proof of withdrawal for them, but apparently it wasn't good enough...don't know why, but they still classed me as a student!

Even worse, I have now been told that I will not get any childcare grants, the parent&#8217;s learning allowance, or the special support grant (we should get as we&#8217;re both students) JUST because the baby will not be born before the start of the academic year. Worse, my student loan will still be worked out based on my PARENT&#8217;S income; I will still be seen as a dependant student, not an independent one, just because the baby won&#8217;t be here on time for their deadline! This seems ridiculous. I was told originally that would get reassessed when the baby comes...this seems like a much fairer way of figuring it out.

I&#8217;m sick of basically being told I don&#8217;t tick all of the boxes. It seems as if everyone is trying to wriggle out of giving me any support or help using any small print they can. I&#8217;m not asking for a lot, but according to the student finance company, I&#8217;m entitled to the same as my brother or any other 18 year old with no child and no responsibilities.

The situation is seriously affecting my health; I&#8217;m incredibly stressed about the situation and keep breaking into tears. I&#8217;m worried that the stress is going to effect the baby. I&#8217;m aware of the fact that if I hadn&#8217;t bothered trying to get an education, I&#8217;d be rolling in money and benefits right now, exactly the same as if the baby just happened to be due a few weeks earlier. It just makes no sense; surely a new parent needs support more than a parent with a 1 year old anyway! I just don&#8217;t see how there can be no support at all for me and my baby; I don&#8217;t see how every door can be shut to me. Worse, my PARENTS are still expected to support me and the new baby! And yeah, they'll do what they can to help but they can't afford to do much and it should NOT be their responsibility.

Samh, yeah the uni know, they say there's nothing they can do. Everyone says that, lol.Yeah I get MA, but I won't get very much, only about £30-ish. So I really am pretty much living off the same loan that most students get. The fact that they decided this means I can't afford to live with the baby's Daddy either, I'll have to move in with my parents as I won't be able to afford rent. (currently in a student house with some friends, but won't be suitable for baba) So it's basically splitting our family up. I can hardly bear to think about it, it's too upsetting. It also means that I won't be saving any money from my loan, as I intended, to stay at home with the baby for 6 months, but instead will have to find a full time job as soon as I finish uni. I wish there was something I could do. I'm writing to my MP and I'm writing to student finance customer service, but I seriously doubt anything will come of it.

BrandiCanucks, will they not be flexible about the work placement?? It seems a shame it sounds like it's going to be really close!?

Yes, they're being flexible. I'll be doing my placement at a school for kids with special needs, so I wouldn't be able to do it throughout the summer anyway. I'll start it up again in September and still be able to graduate on time.

I'm in a similar situation. Just about to start my second year and due in December (a few days before you!)
still waiting to hear back from my uni as to if i can defer for a couple of years. My boyfriends got the heads up from his uni to let him take a year off and then go back part time as his course can be done at home or at uni.
regardless i'll leave uni and if im not allowed back then at least ive got all the contacts i need in the future to build up my photography career!
No idea about finances yet (only found out i'm 25 weeks yesterday) but I'm going to spend the next couple of days trying to sort it out and see what i'm eligible for.
Chin up, let me know if you want to chat about anything.

I'm a student too (although I've been intermitting the last two years) and I have the added problem of currently living in a different country from my university! Luckily my Uni is allowing me to study at home (this will be my final year) so I'm hoping I won't have too much trouble finishing my studies despite the baby and stuff.

Though I haven't found out yet if I'm still eligible for the student loan which is a worry.

yeah im calling uni tomorrow and defering for a year or 2 if they will let me. i only have 1 year left so hopefully when i start back up i will be allowed back on a part time basis as photography is a subject you do on your own most of the time (was only in 1 day a week this year!)
Good luck Natsku!

Thanks Laura. Hope your uni lets you defer.

Yeah they got back to me today, allowed 1 year 100% then I have to contact my lecturer through that year and ask if it can be extended to a 2nd but he see's no problem as long as i do photography as a hobby when i can to keep practice up.
so yippeee :D
just got to sort out all the finances now.

Thats excellent! I wish I had kept an interest in my studies while intermitting, I'm dreading having to read books and write essays again :(

Yeah they got back to me today, allowed 1 year 100% then I have to contact my lecturer through that year and ask if it can be extended to a 2nd but he see's no problem as long as i do photography as a hobby when i can to keep practice up.
so yippeee :D
just got to sort out all the finances now.

I'm sure you'll be taking plenty of pictures of baby, lol! :)

awwh congratulations hun <3

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"