is FF easier than bf?

pinksmarties

Reaction score
I am just wondering what those that have bf then changed to FF think is easier? I know the hassle of making bottles etc compared to whipping a boob out but was thinking more along the lines of night feeds/sleep and OH being able to help out. I am currently bf my 15 day old but many times have thought about switching for a variety of reasons. Although bf has gotten better (after a very difficult start and LO losing 12% birth weight) it is still a struggle and I am finding looking after my newborn incredibly stressful in general. Maybe I am hoping for things to get dramatically better if I FF I don't know, but just wanting other opinions.

I don't formula feed (saw this thread on main page) but from what I gather, after speaking to women online and in person at baby groups, is as follows:

Breastfeeding is easier in the long run, formula feeding is easier in the first 3 months. Reasons being that with formula cluster feedings and growth spurts are easier dealt with and the mum isn't as sleep deprived as she can have others feed baby while she sleeps. There is no pain with FF (if you have none that's neither here nor there) but this also comes into play when babies begin teething. It is also touted that FF babies sleep longer and go longer between feeds because breast milk is easier digested and therefore BF babies need to be fed more often. This is not universally true however, as I know many women have reported no change in sleeping patterns when they switched from BF to FF (it doesn't guarantee your baby will STTN at all, my older sister apparently didn't STTN till she was 2 and she was BF first and then FF after 6 weeks).

If you continue to breastfeed it apparently becomes a breeze compared to the hassle of FF in terms of no having to sterilize equipment, mix formula, warm bottles and prepare in public places when you go out. Breastfeeding you do just - as you say- whip your boob out and that's it. Also BF babies get the knack of feeding over time and can finish a feed in <10 minutes just like FF babies. Some BF babies can finish a feed in even 5 minutes once they crack it completely.

What have I missed... with BF you can share feeding duties by expressing/pumping after feeds in the morning and storing up breast milk but it is generally a good idea to wait until BF is established before introducing bottles. So, in that regard BF is less desirable for exhausted mummies!

When all is said and done every baby is different. Some might respond to a change from breast milk to formula, others won't. But in the long run you are better off sticking to BF for convenience sake if nothing else. Most mums don't make it past the 6 week mark because it is much harder to get it down in the beginning and it is hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. It is entirely up to you whether you BF or FF, but if you were thinking of switching to formula thinking it will be easier... I don't think that is necessarily true.

Just my unbiased opinion based on what I've read and what I've heard other mothers say about their experiences :) x

I believe everyone's experience is different. If you want support to continue BF then it's best to post in BF section. It is hard to BF at first and for most people it does get better when they stick at it. But if you want to switch to FF do that.
in my personal experience it is easier to FF but that's cos for me it wasn't a case of just whipping a boob out. It was a case of whipping a boob out, adjusting the latch, massaging the breast, switching sides, tickling the baby, blowing on the baby, making sure i take 12 capsules of fenugreek a day and eat porridge every morning.......it was a lot easier to whip a bottle out especially in costa coffee!!!!
I do both now, there are positives and negatives to both but I find FF easier in my situation.

What ktod says is definitely true actually, I missed that out in my post. Lots of issues with regard to BF. Supply/lack of supply, bad latches (lip and tongue ties), intolerance to food that mum eats (and receives via breast milk), overactive letdown or slow flow, etc etc. Definitely FF is easier in this regard for many mummies who experience these problems. Also for going on nights out or holidays and all that jazz you don't need to worry about faffing around expressing milk to store up. You don't have to worry about taking certain medications, or eating certain foods, taking supplements, and you can diet and exercise without worrying about supply being affected (which is one very desirable feature of FF that appeals to me the most :( lol)

It depends.

I have done both exclusively and I think BF is easier.

BF for #1 was a disaster for a variety of reasons. We went to formula in the first week - he had a lot of gas pain, a milk intolerance (which led to trying multiple formulas -> with BF, it could have been resolved with eliminating dairy in my diet), it was very expensive ($200/month) and it made leaving the house a total pain in the ass (preparing/bringing bottles etc). The power went out a few times and I had to give him cold milk, made him very angry. Of course not all babies are like that, but it was enough to not quit BF for me!

On the flip side, my OH could do half the night feeds.

But...

With BF, my 2nd boy is still gassy but I was able to easily eliminate dairy (same problem) and he's fine. Although I do ALL the night feeds, it is far easier and I get way better sleep as I can just pop him on the boob and we both fall asleep after (remember you don't get sleep hormones with formula). My baby wakes every 1-2 hours but I get a full night sleep.

*If you've already made it to 15 days I'd recommend you keep going, it gets WAY easier after that period. I know I wanted to quit at 2 weeks too. But I'm glad I didn't.

I have been bf for nearly 3 weeks now and at around 2 weeks I asked this exact question in bf section.
I've decided to stick at it for now, I actually expressed yesterday and tried to feed a little to LOin the night and hated it, it didn't feel right to me giving her a bottle so I put it right back and got the boob out!
If you've gotten this far I really think bf is easier, its initial problems that make it hard for some people.

I think they both have their pros and cons, depending on the issue. My LO had way too many reflux issues and stomach issues that we could not get under a somewhat manageable control so we stopped. I can wash, dry and make bottles in about 10 minutes now.

BF is really demanding though in general, as is everything with a newborn baby lol

The first couple really are the most difficult..but then its waaaaayyyyy easier. Putting my baby to sleep is a breeze, even if hes not hungry and just overly tired it relaxes him so much he just falls right to sleep. Some people say its a bad habit to let them nurse to sleep but I completely disagree, we were designed this way for a reason, its so soothing for them I believe thats how they are meant to be put down. Also when they get hurt (shots) or are just upset, breastfeeding is the best tool to calm them down and make them feel better. Not to mention when they get sick they dont seem to get AS sick because of all the good stuff in there lol

There are def pros and cons to both and I desperately wanted to switch in the beginning and am soooo glad I didnt because this just makes it all so much easier :)

After BF for 9 months and now FF - for me FF is WAY easier, hands down.

For me personally mucking about with bottles is far easier than coping with the hunger, thirst and hormones. The hormones for me were a bit hard to deal with at times, as i suffer anxiety so that would flare up quite often. The fact i was having to cope with so much emotional crap at the same time didn't help. But yeah, since i have stopped BF now and FF - it's just so much easier. LO STTN 8-12 hours straight. He holds his own bottle and will drink anywhere... on the floor, on the couch, in his cot, on our bed.... he's such a little trooper and he loves his bottle.

So yeah i don't know what its like FF a new born and having to make bottles in the middle of the night, but from 9 months onwards FF is way way easier than BF. My LO was BF every 2 hours still - i was feeding on demand and when i tried to make him go a little longer between feeds, he just wouldn't have it.

I will still BF my other children for 6-9 months as well without a doubt, but FF has been a very plesant change as i now can work on myself (weight etc) which even my child health nurse encouraged me to do as happy mum happy baby! Plus LO is thriving so yeah, that helps :)

It is easier to FF. BF has many pros (health, sleepy hormones etc) but in terms of sharing the load FF wins. I was in bits from the exhaustion.

I gave up BF at 6 weeks. I wasn't comfortable NIP and felt house and sofa bound. DS would not take a full feed so would feed every hour.

He still likes to take a half bottle and then the other half in an hour but that isn't such a drama when you don't have to find a mothers room somewhere.

I'll def be stalking this thread as I think it's a really interesting discussion as it is just sooo different for every single mother and baby!
In my personal experience FF was easier, I BF for the first week yet had major supply issues and latch problems also dd had reflux and colic which made me very anxious there was something wrong with my milk (after switching to FF the stomach issues weren't much better) I was getting NO sleep as she was on constantly around the clock, so switched to pumping until about 8 weeks when I had had enough and my supply suffered even more! I would have drove myself to the nut house if I had tried to keep BF so in that FF was easiest in my situation. Go with the flow is my advice and try to be happy with whatever decision you decide to make xx

I am currently bfing my third baby girl (13 weeks) but i ff'd my other two. I think bfing is more difficult emotionally especially in the first few months but is most definitely more convenient. xxx

I find it incredibly easier as I tried bf for two weeks with both my kids. Yes washing bottles is time consuming but being able to pick up and go without worrying about leaking milk or whipping out a boob in public or being able to run errands without my LO has made a ton of difference.

I sometimes wonder if I didn't have ppd if I'd have been able to succeed in bf but I'm not beating myself up over it anymore

I sometimes wonder if I didn't have ppd if I'd have been able to succeed in bf but I'm not beating myself up over it anymore

Maybe...? I had bad PND (12 months) with my first and there were times were I didn't even want to bother feeding him so formula was easy, I could just hand him to OH and walk away (I know that sounds awful, but that's how bad it was). With #2, and no PND/no baby blues either, somehow I find the energy to persevere or be calmer with things that upset me far more with #1.

I really do think PND is a massive contribution for many (and a vicious circle- BF is not for you, but you persevere and get resentful then PND, or you have PND because you feel you failed etc....)

Glad that stage is over :(

oh god no!!! my big for nothing boobies never worked properly and both my boys ended up on the bottle after going back into hospital.... ff was a lot more work.... :(

thanks for everyones replies. It seems so varied and obviously a personal thing. atm I am still bf, taking each day as it comes but haven't ruled out ff. Nearly everyone I have spoken to in RL think ff is better for mum and baby to ff, especially being able to sleep through the night, others can help etc but then I also haven'y had chance to speak to many bf mums.My left nipple is on fire and I am in tears feeding from that side but hoping the hv tomorrow can help.

thanks for everyones replies. It seems so varied and obviously a personal thing. atm I am still bf, taking each day as it comes but haven't ruled out ff. Nearly everyone I have spoken to in RL think ff is better for mum and baby to ff, especially being able to sleep through the night, others can help etc but then I also haven'y had chance to speak to many bf mums.My left nipple is on fire and I am in tears feeding from that side but hoping the hv tomorrow can help.

I had the exact problem with my left nipple and it turned out to be oversupply (so the baby clamps & pulls away causing the sharp stinging pain), do you find that baby gets slightly gassier on the one side??? Good luck with tomorrow :hugs:

I would just like to add if its just pain that's the problem and the baby is thriving well, i would persevere as pain will get better with time and practice.

aliss - I do seem to have a 'forceful let down' as sometimes it end up coming out of his nose.

ktod - it isn't just about the pain, the left boob has only really been sore the last few days and I was thinking ff before then.

I formula fed and it wasn;t easy - it was forced upon us due to a tongue tie. It was stressful sterilising everything, getting up and making bottles in the night, worrying about whether I was making the formula right. But at the same time I saw some of my breast feeding mums feeding every hour through the night. It really is a personal choice but I don;t think formula feeding is the easy option

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->