is he feeding too much/too often?

BabyMamma93

Mummy of a Easter baby
Reaction score
since coming out of hospital, my little boy has had a feed every 2 hours..
it was 1 oz for a day, then up to 2 oz, for about 2-3 week, then up to 3 oz, now since about a week and half ago, its gone up to 4oz.. but he ALWAYS has them 2 hour apart. sometimes if hes asleep he will go 3-4 hours, he always did before too. through the night.. on a good night (very rare) he will go a max of 4 hours in between, but mainly 2-3 hours and he doesn't always take 4 oz, its usually 2-3 oz through the night..

is this too much too often? and could this explain his suspected reflux?
if so how do i increase the time in between when this is what he wants, if he wakes for a bottle 2 hours after last, i have about 15 mins to get bottle ready or hes screaming for it.. so theres no way i can try have him go another hour?

i have read other posters on here saying their little one had 4-5 oz bottles at 5x a day.. my little boy obviously has more than that when hes feeding every 2 hours :s

when i took him to the docs about him being sick, she asked how often he feeds i told her 3oz every 2 hour, she looked at me and said 'and why every 2 hours' i just told her thats what he wants :s

could it be that hes just got used to having one every 2 hours?

That sounds just about right for a baby that little. Some babies will go longer (my daughter was small and a bit early and even though we were BF, I still had to wake her and make her eat every 4 hours because she had weight gain issues). But for most, every 2 hours is perfectly normal. There are babies who will go longer between feeds, but some of it is forced unfortunately. Some mums will encourage big feeds or use hungry baby milk (not recommended) because they don't want to have to tend to a baby more often that every 4 hours. But in the first weeks and months, every 2 hours is perfectly normal. You'll probably see it start to change around 3 ish months when he'll drink more and go for longer stretches. But for now, keep doing what you're doing.

i thought i hungrymilk would have been a good idea a while back as little one was wanting more after 2 oz but any more than 2oz he was sick, but HV told me not to as once you go there u cant go back..

thanks for that i just thought i was over feeding my little one when everyone elses baby was only having like half the amount of bottles mine is LOL..
x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->