Is it cruel???

Not sure if you’re still checking it but we locked my daughters door. We just reversed the doorknob so we can lock it from the outside. It’s on the second floor so I too was worried about safely. She rattled the doorknob when she wants to get out but she’s never really distressed over it. You do what you have to do it’s not gonna damage you’re child

How old is your daughter? I would teach her to come down the stairs safely.
By 18 months ours can go up and down the stairs by themselves but we've never had stair gates and the children have learnt very quickly.
I personally would never bolt the door. What if there was a fire or something? I believe in teaching children to be safe by experiencing rather than protecting everything

She’s 2 1/2, she knows how to get up and down the stairs by herself, but I’d hate for her to fall down the stairs/go out the front door/turn on the oven/ gas hob/ run herself a bath etc whilst we are asleep! I just wouldn’t want us not having a stair gate to cause her to die because she had an accident and we were asleep!
How old is your daughter? I would teach her to come down the stairs safely.
By 18 months ours can go up and down the stairs by themselves but we've never had stair gates and the children have learnt very quickly.
I personally would never bolt the door. What if there was a fire or something? I believe in teaching children to be safe by experiencing rather than protecting everything

Can you not keep your daughter in her room and have baby in the other room that doesn't have the Stargate or is it on a different level to where you sleep?

Can you not keep your daughter in her room and have baby in the other room that doesn't have the Stargate or is it on a different level to where you sleep?
Both rooms are a different level to where we sleep, but the bigger room should go to the oldest child so when baby gets to 6 months and goes into her own room we would need to move no1 out of it to make sure no2 won’t disturb her. Plus when we then transfer no2 out of a cot and into a bed she would be even younger than our current daughter is so the stair gate problem still exists!

I may be in the minority: I never used a baby gate for either of my kids. I personally don't think it's cruel though. Our son is the same, waits to be woken up from bed by us or his big sister. He loves chilling in his bed!

We reversed the lock for Vs room so we could lock her in and keep her from accidently locking herself in her room. I don't think it's cruel to protect your child.

i don't know if this is still an issue but here's our take - we took the door off the hinges to the kids' room. We have 2.25 yo twin boys and this is the way their room has been the whole time because really, the hinge location and their affinity to play near it scared me like they'd gauge their heads when they inevitably fell into it! Their room is upstairs, with our bedroom, and we have a gate on their doorway instead of the door. It's a great one, tall enough where they can't climb over it (yet), difficult enough for them not to unlatch it (yet) and easy for us to slip in when they scream from a bad dream or something (so in case of fire or other emergency...). Then we also have a gate at the top of the stairs should something kooky happen like they learn to climb out of their cribs and out of their room in the same night.
The only downfall to any of this is that one of the boys is part rooster and gets up before the sun and just yells down the hall to us. Not great for guests either but we don't have them that often! :)

I don't think that's cruel if the baby is okay with being in bed unless you get up and take her out i guess it is fine. It's for her own good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->