Is it just me or is this offensive?!

Pink Petals

Reaction score
Is it just me, or is this offensive?!

My local museum has the following statement on their website regarding their "breastfeeding policy":

"We don't have a policy. We only ask that all visitors are respectful to all other visitors and user groups."

To me, this is suggesting breastfeeding is inappropriate... :shrug:

I think it could be seen either way. Like people can't disrespect a mom nursing her child. But I'd ask for clarification anyway.

I think its kind of a blanket live and let live kind of statement. - Moms don't breastfeed inches from someone's teanage boy.... seriosly no offence but you are going to drive him crazy if he can see your boob! (unless your all covered then its all good) Others - don't sneer at the Mom feeding her baby. Its just the way babies eat.

I don't think it's offensive. I think they are just saying if you are breastfeeding there, you need to be aware that it does make some people uncomfortable. Therefore, if you are going to breastfeed in their museum, they have no problem with it, but for the sake of everyone else, covering up would be a good idea.

I feel this way about NIP anyway, it does make some people uncomfortable, and yes i know it's my right to feed my baby, but i'd rather not cause a problem and just cover up - or go somewhere where people don't have to look at me.

Breastfeeding is not meant to be sexual in any way, but unfortunately the world we live in is completely obsessed with over sexualization of women, and for many people seeing you feed your baby is seeing too much.

I don't think its offensive but I also don't really think it's necessary to tell breastfeeding mothers to be "respectful" as though we enjoy whipping out both boobs and dancing around while we feed. I really think most if not all breastfeeding mothers try to be discreet. And sometimes that does mean just pulling your top down and sticking the baby on your boob because, as someone who used a cover in the early days, I can attest to the fact that using a cover is in NO WAY discreet. Such a faff.

Anyway, no, the wording doesn't really bother me but I don't really think it was necessary in regards to the woman breastfeeding. As a PP pointed out, it could be referring to the other people being respectful of the woman breastfeeding.

I think it can be nerve-wracking enough to breastfeed in public without being told to be careful not to offend people.

Not sure what they meant by their "policy" but I don't see why any public space would need a breastfeeding policy at all, aside from just repeating what the law says (that you are allowed to breastfeed in public and no one is allowed to ask you to stop or cover up). :shrug:

I think it can be nerve-wracking enough to breastfeed in public without being told to be careful not to offend people.

Not sure what they meant by their "policy" but I don't see why any public space would need a breastfeeding policy at all, aside from just repeating what the law says (that you are allowed to breastfeed in public and no one is allowed to ask you to stop or cover up). :shrug:

This is how I feel. There should be no policy, because it is my legal right to breastfeed anywhere in public. The very fact that they mention it is a problem for me. We should be trying to normalize it.

The comment could be interpreted both ways, except for the "user groups" part, which I think refers to school groups.

Seems like a blanket statement. The fact that they even have a "policy" is a little annoying to me!

Honestly I would write to them and complain to get it removed. xx

This is how I feel. There should be no policy, because it is my legal right to breastfeed anywhere in public. The very fact that they mention it is a problem for me. We should be trying to normalize it.

The comment could be interpreted both ways, except for the "user groups" part, which I think refers to school groups.

I totally agree with you. What I find so annoying is the need to even mention it. Our society is screwed up when we cant accept bf'ing as normal. I have yet to see a bfíng mother with her boobs hanging out in public. Whenever I NIP I´m pretty darn sure 9 times out of 10 nobody is even aware that I´m feeding my daughter; it probably just looks like I´m cradling her.

Bf'ing needs to be normalised, not hidden away like an offensive act.

Sorry, it just really winds me up!

Am I mistaken? Does it not say "We dont have a policy?" So why are we getting upset saying "I cant believe they even HAVE a policy!" Did I miss something...?

Im going to get flamed for this, but I seriously think some women just LOOK for a reason to be offended on breastfeeding sometimes. I read that statement as a PP said, a very "Live and let live." Maybe something was only even said about it as it could be a frequently asked question so they spoke on it just to not have to repeat themselves over and over.

Am I mistaken? Does it not say "We dont have a policy?" So why are we getting upset saying "I cant believe they even HAVE a policy!" Did I miss something...?

Im going to get flamed for this, but I seriously think some women just LOOK for a reason to be offended on breastfeeding sometimes. I read that statement as a PP said, a very "Live and let live." Maybe something was only even said about it as it could be a frequently asked question so they spoke on it just to not have to repeat themselves over and over.

^ was going to say t
just that.

They don't have a policy, probably only because it would be illegal to have one. There should be no need to say anything at all regarding breastfeeding, it suggests to me that they think that breastfeeding should be squirreled away in a corner somewhere under blankets so as not to upset other visitors and that they find breastfeeding disrespectful in some way?
xx

It reads to me like a passive-aggressive suggestion for breastfeeding mums to cover up.

I actually don't understand what "We don't have a policy" even means. They do, in fact, have a policy, which is to uphold the legal right of mothers to breastfeed when and where they want to, unless they want to flout the law.

As for respectfulness, it's not theirs to comment on one way or another unless it's an incident causing actual disruption. In which case their legal obligation is to support the breastfeeding mother to feed her child as and where she feels is appropriate.

Is it just me, or is this offensive?!

My local museum has the following statement on their website regarding their "breastfeeding policy":

"We don't have a policy. We only ask that all visitors are respectful to all other visitors and user groups."

To me, this is suggesting breastfeeding is inappropriate... :shrug:

Couldn't that also be read as all visitors should be respectful of breastfeeding mothers, not just that breastfeeding mothers should be respectful of all visitors and "user groups" (whatever that is)?

they don't have a policy, probably only because it would be illegal to have one. There should be no need to say anything at all regarding breastfeeding, it suggests to me that they think that breastfeeding should be squirreled away in a corner somewhere under blankets so as not to upset other visitors and that they find breastfeeding disrespectful in some way?
Xx

this

That is ridiculous and dismissive of a serious issue that affects women and their babies. What reason would women have for trying to be offended about breastfeeding? Wow.

I don't really think it's that ridiculous. Some people do go out of their way to be offended by things and it's not ridiculous to think that some of those people might be mothers... even breastfeeding mothers. I do think people sometimes push controversial issues as far as they can just to see how far they can go/to make a point. I definitely don't think most breastfeeding mothers (or people in general) are like that, but they do exist.

I don't think that's what you were doing in this case, it appears to be more that some people are reading more into it than others (which is okay, we all read things differently).

I don't really think it's that ridiculous. Some people do go out of their way to be offended by things and it's not ridiculous to think that some of those people might be mothers... even breastfeeding mothers. I do think people sometimes push controversial issues as far as they can just to see how far they can go/to make a point. I definitely don't think most breastfeeding mothers (or people in general) are like that, but they do exist.

I don't think that's what you were doing in this case, it appears to be more that some people are reading more into it than others (which is okay, we all read things differently).

This exactly.

That is ridiculous and dismissive of a serious issue that affects women and their babies. What reason would women have for trying to be offended about breastfeeding? Wow.

Because its not how YOU feel doesn't automatically make it ridiculous. My point is some women truly just look to cause a fight, and what's more justifiable than a woman's right to breastfeed? Do so tell me how I was dismissive, as I see no one, myself included, being such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->