Is it just me or is this offensive?!

Am I mistaken? Does it not say "We dont have a policy?" So why are we getting upset saying "I cant believe they even HAVE a policy!" Did I miss something...?

Im going to get flamed for this, but I seriously think some women just LOOK for a reason to be offended on breastfeeding sometimes. I read that statement as a PP said, a very "Live and let live." Maybe something was only even said about it as it could be a frequently asked question so they spoke on it just to not have to repeat themselves over and over.

That is ridiculous and dismissive of a serious issue that affects women and their babies. What reason would women have for trying to be offended about breastfeeding? Wow.

Because its not how YOU feel doesn't automatically make it ridiculous. My point is some women truly just look to cause a fight, and what's more justifiable than a woman's right to breastfeed? Do so tell me how I was dismissive, as I see no one, myself included, being such.

I think it may have been that your first post could be taken as "if you find this offensive, you're just looking for something to be offended by".
It bothers me. I don't find it offensive, but I think it's highly inappropriate. Asking a mother to "be respectful" when it comes to nursing at their museum implies that there's a disrespectful way to nurse a child. And with the most common opinion being that nursing mothers should cover up when in public, it likely does imply that in order to be respectful, the mother should nurse covered or in privacy.

As for breastfeeding around teenage boys, I hope my boys both grow up seeing women feeding their babies openly. Exposure to the breast's primary biological function, exposure to what the average woman's body looks like, and exposure to the intensity of care that comes with having babies are all healthy exposures and lessons that are good to learn. I'm pretty sure a baby being latched on is a buzzkill for even the most hormonal of teenagers anyway. And if someone feels that strongly about breast exposure to teenage boys, I sincerely hope you also take a longer route in the mall in order to avoid Victoria Secret and Hollister, else their ads drive your sons to madness.

ETA: Also, depending on how the website is organized, the statement is targeting nursing moms, rather than all visitors, with the message to "be respectful". Who clicks on a link to read a breastfeeding policy? Joe Schmoe or the nursing mom?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->