Is it safe to begin exercising now?

LilPeanuts

Reaction score
I didn't exercise regularly in the past but now that I'm pregnant after only having my daughter 7 months ago, I'm concerned about staying at a healthy weight this time around. I don't have any morning sickness yet and my appetite is growing already! I definitely want to make sure I don't gain too much too quickly. I have an elliptical and stationary bicycle at home that I want to start using but I'm so paranoid! I don't see my dr until 8 weeks and I want to be sure it's safe. Has anyone started working out in their first trimester and been told by their dr it's perfectly safe? I don't want to do anything to hurt my little one!

Working out is perfectly fine, as long as you don't overdo it. Most of the risks are for your health rather than baby's (the risk of joint injury increases for example). So I'd just start slow and talk to your doc when you see them. Swimming is great for pregnancy, especially as a beginner.
In terms of weight though, I would try to watch what you're eating rather than relying just on exercise. Exercise is a great idea to keep you fit but the hormonal changes in pregnancy mean that it can't always offset "too many cakes". I'm in that boat myself, I'm starting this (my third) pregnancy much too heavy and while I do exercise a bit, it doesn't help with my weight. So I'm trying to keep an eye on my calories and try to make sure that what I eat has lots of nutritional value. I hear you on the appetite though, I've already got the munchies. :-(

Working out is perfectly fine, as long as you don't overdo it. Most of the risks are for your health rather than baby's (the risk of joint injury increases for example). So I'd just start slow and talk to your doc when you see them. Swimming is great for pregnancy, especially as a beginner.
In terms of weight though, I would try to watch what you're eating rather than relying just on exercise. Exercise is a great idea to keep you fit but the hormonal changes in pregnancy mean that it can't always offset "too many cakes". I'm in that boat myself, I'm starting this (my third) pregnancy much too heavy and while I do exercise a bit, it doesn't help with my weight. So I'm trying to keep an eye on my calories and try to make sure that what I eat has lots of nutritional value. I hear you on the appetite though, I've already got the munchies. :-(

That's great news about exercise being safe! You're right about food playing a huge role. I'll definitely have to start munching on healthy snacks when hunger strikes. I didn't have a chance to lose all the baby weight from the last pregnancy so as hard as it'll be, I'll have to be strict with my diet this time! No fun when you're craving junk food!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->