Is it time to stop?

I think most women on here have the wrong definition of 'self weaning' anyways. Offering cows milk is no longer self weaning I don't think. Because that's offering a substitute which in effect will help the child wean from the breast. And ladies that wean them down to a day or night feed is no longer self weaning. :lol: Am I wrong with that? Everyone says they want to self wean but I must have a totally different definition of what it means. I know I can no longer say Emma will self wean because I do try to refuse her during the day and I occasionally offer a cup of milk. So it's not her weaning, it's me encouraging it.

To me personally what we did IS self weaning even though she was having 1 cows milk feed from 12 months onwards but I never refused her a BF when she wanted one. She'd had one bottle of EBM a day (as well as BFs)since she was 5 months as I have to work full time and couldn't be there for that particular feed so I just exchanged the EBM for cows milk. She made the decision to stop breastfeeding at 16/17 months. She didn't want a breastfeed at bedtime, she specifically turned away from me and asked for a bottle (meaning cows milk as she takes that from a bottle) I'm already struggling to deal with her not wanting to feed anymore. I could cry. It would break my heart to think she hadn't self weaned as that's what I wanted her to do more than anything. I guess its a personal thing to everyone but I will continue to believe that Daisy has self weaned.

I had thought the same as you Cleck... but then I realised that more and more what people were describing were LOs moving over to cowsmilk as a replacement. Tbh, I think I'm 100% ready to stop, so we've been making sure there are cups of milk available for most of the day. It hasn't been working until this evening H had a full cup of milk after her bath and then had a 5 min BF before sleep rather than her usual 20. I don't think there's any better or worse way to wean from BF, only that it has to be right for you. :flower:

I had thought the same as you Cleck... but then I realised that more and more what people were describing were LOs moving over to cowsmilk as a replacement. Tbh, I think I'm 100% ready to stop, so we've been making sure there are cups of milk available for most of the day. It hasn't been working until this evening H had a full cup of milk after her bath and then had a 5 min BF before sleep rather than her usual 20. I don't think there's any better or worse way to wean from BF, only that it has to be right for you. :flower:

I totally agree and it sounds so silly but it is so hard to come to terms with when it is right for her but not for me yet!

I think most women on here have the wrong definition of 'self weaning' anyways. Offering cows milk is no longer self weaning I don't think. Because that's offering a substitute which in effect will help the child wean from the breast. And ladies that wean them down to a day or night feed is no longer self weaning. :lol: Am I wrong with that? Everyone says they want to self wean but I must have a totally different definition of what it means. I know I can no longer say Emma will self wean because I do try to refuse her during the day and I occasionally offer a cup of milk. So it's not her weaning, it's me encouraging it.

To me personally what we did IS self weaning even though she was having 1 cows milk feed from 12 months onwards but I never refused her a BF when she wanted one. She'd had one bottle of EBM a day (as well as BFs)since she was 5 months as I have to work full time and couldn't be there for that particular feed so I just exchanged the EBM for cows milk. She made the decision to stop breastfeeding at 16/17 months. She didn't want a breastfeed at bedtime, she specifically turned away from me and asked for a bottle (meaning cows milk as she takes that from a bottle) I'm already struggling to deal with her not wanting to feed anymore. I could cry. It would break my heart to think she hadn't self weaned as that's what I wanted her to do more than anything. I guess its a personal thing to everyone but I will continue to believe that Daisy has self weaned.

I'm sorry if my post made you sad. :(:hugs: I was just genuinely curious because I always thought it's not self weaning when we offer milk, etc. But the way Shiv described it makes sense because we offer food and that's the start of it. And than cow's milk is just another start. I really don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

I'm sorry if my post made you sad. :(:hugs: I was just genuinely curious because I always thought it's not self weaning when we offer milk, etc. But the way Shiv described it makes sense because we offer food and that's the start of it. And than cow's milk is just another start. I really don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

No, you didn't make me sad hun :hugs:. I'm just sad that my breastfeeding days with Daisy are over. Its a sensitive issue for me as its happening right now. I never expected it to be this hard to be honest.

No, you didn't make me sad hun :hugs:. I'm just sad that my breastfeeding days with Daisy are over. Its a sensitive issue for me as its happening right now. I never expected it to be this hard to be honest.

I know how you feel, Sophia "self weaned" at 14 months (with a little help of a lip injury from falling down the stairs :dohh:) and I was devastated. I mean absolutely inconsolable. However i look back now and actually I am not sure i would change it (apart from her falling downstairs, I'd definitely change that!). I never had to refuse a feed or see Sophia upset because she couldn't get the comfort she needed. It takes time, but you will (I promise) come to terms with it. If someone gave me the choice now of whether I could still be breastfeeding or not, I would have to think hard about it but I think I would say no. Sophia is happy and I have a tiny bit more freedom (not that i use it). It is tough now but it will get easier :hugs:

I know how you feel, Sophia "self weaned" at 14 months (with a little help of a lip injury from falling down the stairs :dohh:) and I was devastated. I mean absolutely inconsolable. However i look back now and actually I am not sure i would change it (apart from her falling downstairs, I'd definitely change that!). I never had to refuse a feed or see Sophia upset because she couldn't get the comfort she needed. It takes time, but you will (I promise) come to terms with it. If someone gave me the choice now of whether I could still be breastfeeding or not, I would have to think hard about it but I think I would say no. Sophia is happy and I have a tiny bit more freedom (not that i use it). It is tough now but it will get easier :hugs:

Thanks hun. Its only because it is just in the process of happening that I'm so sad. I will be okay and get used to it, I just never expected to feel this sad about it. It is sort of like my baby is all grown up and doesn't need me anymore!

I feel like this at times but I figure if I don't know, then I'm not ready to give up. At this point, I'm looking to get Daphne through her second year molars and then we will reassess.

Personally, I love being able to use a boob feed as a way to keep Bethan quiet on public transport... :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->