Is it worth starting temping now ? Please advice needed

Oldermummy78

Reaction score
First of all I have a digital thermometer can I use this?
If not where do I get the basal thermometer?

Also I haven't a clue to go from the usual slight bleed I had on mirena as my cycle day 1 or from the 2 day bleed after mirena removal?

I thought I was 9dpo from the ewcm today but my opk getting slightly darker as the days go on is it worth starting using my thermometer in the morning? If so how do I chart and would I know?

I'm confused any advice would be greatly appreciated

Sore for all the questions

You could use a regular digital thermometer. I use a regular one when I chart. The BBT thermometer I believe is more accurate in point degrees, like some people know they've ovulated when their temperature goes up .4 degrees. It is specifically made for tracking ovulation.

I'm not sure where you are located but my local Walmart sells the BBT thermometers, if not you could probably find one new on ebay or Amazon. They are a bit pricey though.

It probably wouldn't be worth it to start temping now though, especially since you either have ovulated or are close to it. Also you probably don't know what your average BBT is to see a difference in rising or falling. It is best to start temping the day after AF leaves town so I would try temping only if you don't get pregnant this cycle.

A lot of people use Fertility Friend to chart when they temp. Another good website for charting is Countdown to Pregnancy. They let you record your symptoms everyday. I use it every cycle, even when I'm not TTC to keep track of my non-pregnancy symptoms.

As to your positive opks are you sure you're not already pregnant? I would take an hpt just to be on the safe side.

Good luck!

Thanks so much lilmiss

I took more tonight (pics on another thread) and I think I got my positive I think the ewcm I got after mirena removal was just my womb lining getting itself back on track, I got all the right symptom today and my positive opk at long last !

I will wait and order a bbt from eBay or Amazon I think then thanks and start if af turns up

I'm UK so not sure where I would get one here, I did look in Asda and tesco ended up with a normal digital thermometer from chemist when thought it was a bbt one :wacko:

:dust:

Definitely use a bbt thermometer. There is a major difference. The bbt goes to the nearest 100th whereas the regular only goes go the nearest 10th so you Def want accurate results. I also recommended using FF to chart. As for temping now I agree, it's probably too late bc you are so close to ovulating. Definitely start on cd 1 next cycle...fxd you won't have to.

Thank you so much will purchase the bbt asap and start next cycle

:dust:

Even though you're mid cycle, it would be a good idea to start charting your temp with bbt thermometer if you never have charted before. You can start observing trends in your cycle this way.

I strongly recommend Fertility Friend. They have an entire course to educate you on bbt charting, cycles, and fertility. It was extremely helpful for me starting out ttc. You can either use the app on your phone or the website to track.

I have used both a regular thermometer and a bbt thermometer. While the regular thermometer will work, the bbt thermometer shows a more drastic change in temps which makes it much easier to interpret your chart. And I do find the bbt thermometer more accurate. If you would like you can take a look at my charts (links in siggy) and you'll see my two most recent charts were done with a bbt thermometer. The others before were using a generic vicks thermometer.

I would start the first day of your withdrawal bleed as cycle day 1.

I bought my bbt thermometer from Amazon. I believe it was $8. It was well worth it. Bbt charting i believe is the most useful tool when ttc.

I would start charting as soon as you have the thermometer you would like to use. I always go with the theory of assume you haven't ovulated yet until it is confirmed, because I never want to miss that precious little eggy. If you're going to commit to taking your temp every morning anyways a few extra days/weeks really aren't that much. Plus it will help you get in the habit.

Hope I was of help :)

Let me know if you have anymore questions. I would be happy to help

Get a BBT for sure. I just got one at Walmart for about $6.00. I would also go ahead and start temping now to get in the habit of doing it and you can use if for future trends. As suggested Fertility Friend is great and I have used it for the last few years. Only just took it out of my signature today because I'm doing IVF and no longer temping.

Some people love temping and some find it annoying. For me it was almost like a game to see what the next day would be. Good luck!

Thanks for your reply a girls appreciated

I did get my bbt ordered from Amazon Tuesday it got here Wednesday only thing I don't understand is, when I first wake up I tend to lay there for 2 mins before I get thermometer (hubby passes it to me on way out to work) would this affect the reading? Also my daft dog licked my leg and made me jump this morning would that affect it? I had the heating on low last night and hadn't the previous 2 nights so not sure if that would have affected too :wacko:

The ov is the cover line from what I can make out when you have 6 low temps together and then it shoots up?

That's the just I'm getting when I read :confused:

You may regret letting me ask you questions babeawait :lol:

Thank you :dust:

It might be better to put the thermometer in a place you can reach on your own. If you lay there completely still for two minutes it shouldn't affect it. But I'm sure there will be mornings when your H isn't able to pass it to you in time or at all.

Don't worry too much about the climate control of your house, unless it's a change of like 10+ degrees I wouldn't think it would be enough to negatively affect your chart. Same with your dog making you jump.

With bbt charting it's the overall trend you want to observe, not individual temps. So it's is fine to have wonky days thrown into the mix.

As far as the cross hairs, yes they do mark ovulation. To determine ovulation FF looks for a sustained thermal shift of three days. If that shift continues congrats you're in the tww! If it drops back down again and doesn't come back up, then it wasn't ovulation just a few high temps.

Once again I highly recommend the FF charting course. It can answer any questions you could possibly have about charting. It is free and I don't think you even have to create an account to do it if you don't want to. By the end of it you'll feel like an expert :) Here is the link for it https://fertilityfriend.com/courses/

:haha: Really I don't mind the questions. It is a confusing thing to start. You'll get the hang of it in no time :)

Babe await :hugs: thank you for your help I will swat up on this link for the fertility friend now
Hope you get your :bfp: soon x

So my temp was 36.0, 36.1 36.21 and this morning it was 35.55 it's a huge drop ? But no other egg white just wet down there is this normal ?

I looked into fertility friend but can't see anything saying about this and not lots of charts showing it x

I see yours has had quite a dip too babeawait , have you had this before ? x

It's okay to have drops. Especially when you are early on a chart temperatures look more drastic then when you have the whole picture. Some people have dips when they ovulate, I tend to be one of them, but it can also happen randomly. As long as you are taking your temperature the same time every morning and are not moving, eating, or drinking anything before taking your temperature you will be fine.

Also your chart only shows the range you have recorded thus far. So when you only have a handful of temps it looks like a much bigger rise/drop then is it when you have a completed chart. I hope this makes sense?

Another reason for a dip could happen would be from implantation. But of course for that to happen you would have to of ovulated already.

Chart Overlay:
In the green is the chart I'm still working on now. The pink is last cycle's chart with ovulation on the 24th (the lowest dip).

Chart:
This is my chart now for this cycle. I haven't ovulated yet.

So if you just look at my chart by itself it looks like a drastic change. But if you compare it to my completed chart it looks much less drastic.

Sorry if I'm over-explaining. I wasn't sure if I was making sense lol.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-05-15-14-09-34.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-05-15-14-09-34.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_2015-05-15-14-13-10.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-05-15-14-13-10.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 6
I see what your saying Hun I see it , so it might not be to bad, everything shows that i ov on Tuesday my opks and ewcm and my awful cramps and backache all day, so should be 3dpo today so the drop could just be a random (hopefully) I know it's too early for implantation so Fxd for tomorrow
Your March chart looked very promising ..

Xx

Yes I started progesterone after O last cycle. Unfortunately it can give you a lot of pregnancy symptoms and affect your temps when taking it. Going into this cycle I hope that I can stay diplomatic so I don't get my hopes up again.

FX all your signs are correct!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->