Is it wrong for people who work with children to smoke?

I guess because the smoke smell is just sooooooo gross! Its nasty to walk through! I get upset when people smoke around me. It makes my clothes stink, my skin itch, and I would rather smell a strangers fart than ciggerette smoke, but anyone who smokes won't see it that way because they LOVE the smell...its their drug...they are addicts. So, I have asked someone to butt out near me, but I dont tell them they are disgusting though. My daughter has! LOL

Most of them do, yes. In Ontario it's illegal to smoke within 20 meters of an entrance, in bars, under two or more umbrellas touching, in a work vehicle (even if you own the vehicle/business), in a vehicle with a child, etc. all understandable rules. I always adhered to all of them. I can't count the number of times where people approached ME next to the curb to tell me how disgusting and unhealthy it is. They would make me remove my headphones as I was walking to work to tell me as they were walking behind me, they're walking in my smoke trail. Dreadfully sorry if it's hypocritical for me to hate people who are harassing me.
My suggestion to them was instead of whining at me for doing something which wasn't illegal, contact their Member of Parliament and ask for such legislation. Until then it's harassment.

Lol tbh when I wrote the previous response I was imagining you stood out of the way, minding your own business, having a smoke and being randomly harassed. Instead, you are walking along forcing other people to breathe in your smoke and then you are shocked when people say something about it to you? I can't stand it when theres some selfish person walking on a busy footpath blowing their smoke all over everybody, children included. And then when you cross the road to walk on the other side or overtake to avoid breathing it in, YAY another selfish smoker. I don't expect smokers to be banished or anything but there is a time and a place. Japan have got it spot on in that respect. In some of their cities, they have banned walking and smoking on busy streets so people can avoid breathing in other peoples smoke (although not in many food places lol). Hopefully that will happen here soon. I respect a smokers choice to breathe in smoke but I don't see why smokers can't respect a non smokers choice not to breathe in smoke.
As I've said 3 times already I no longer smoke, however, I don't think a lone person walking down the street minding their own business with no one around other than a single do-gooder stalking them and complaining about them smoking constitutes "another selfish smoker".
Like I said earlier, certain people just go around looking for someone to harass about smoking because it's their politically correct "right".

Most of them do, yes. In Ontario it's illegal to smoke within 20 meters of an entrance, in bars, under two or more umbrellas touching, in a work vehicle (even if you own the vehicle/business), in a vehicle with a child, etc. all understandable rules. I always adhered to all of them. I can't count the number of times where people approached ME next to the curb to tell me how disgusting and unhealthy it is. They would make me remove my headphones as I was walking to work to tell me as they were walking behind me, they're walking in my smoke trail. Dreadfully sorry if it's hypocritical for me to hate people who are harassing me.
My suggestion to them was instead of whining at me for doing something which wasn't illegal, contact their Member of Parliament and ask for such legislation. Until then it's harassment.

Lol tbh when I wrote the previous response I was imagining you stood out of the way, minding your own business, having a smoke and being randomly harassed. Instead, you are walking along forcing other people to breathe in your smoke and then you are shocked when people say something about it to you? I can't stand it when theres some selfish person walking on a busy footpath blowing their smoke all over everybody, children included. And then when you cross the road to walk on the other side or overtake to avoid breathing it in, YAY another selfish smoker. I don't expect smokers to be banished or anything but there is a time and a place. Japan have got it spot on in that respect. In some of their cities, they have banned walking and smoking on busy streets so people can avoid breathing in other peoples smoke (although not in many food places lol). Hopefully that will happen here soon. I respect a smokers choice to breathe in smoke but I don't see why smokers can't respect a non smokers choice not to breathe in smoke.

Agree. I dont care if someone wants to poison themselves, but to expect others to breathe in your shit is gross.

I find it quite difficult to have a debate/conversation with someone with an already decided opinion. Yeh agree or not, thats your choice but last time I checked not all smokers were rude people and not all rude people were smokers so dont tar everyone with the same brush thanks. A smokers 'shit' as you so nicely put it more than likely causes as much harm as the car you drive and you dont hear me complaining about someone who drives past me and makes me breathe in their fumes!

Sorry I like a debate and everything but sometimes people are just rude and its not necessary

Sorry if you are offended I call cigarette smoke 'shit'. It certainly isn't a breath of fresh air. I find it just as rude and disgusting as someones over powerful purfume. Car exhaust is shit...and if we could live in a world without that exhaust shit, Id be all over that. In fact, hubby and I are considering buying an electric car. But, yes, I do believe people have every right to complain about exhaust, cigarette smoke, and other disgusting smells that are not normal or natural to have in the air. They are MY lungs...not anyone elses to destroy. :) No offense, but you are taking this too personally. This is about cigarettes, not just YOU. I dont even know your story, and my responses (besides this one) are NOT aimed at you. Just smokers in general. Lucky for me, smokers are rare in my country, and even more rare in my province, so, I dont have to the smell the shit, except my inconsiderate neighbour who smokes outside, but right next to my kids bedrooms.

This debate is about children anyways...some how we have gotten off track. :D

Sorry if you are offended I call cigarette smoke 'shit'. It certainly isn't a breath of fresh air.

Clearly you've never smoked menthols! :rofl:

Can't say I have! LOL. What are they anyways?

They're cigarettes flavored with actual menthol. When you smoke them, it actually feel like they're good for you, I'm not even kidding. Old people usually smoke them... Anyone who's smoked them will probably agree those are a breath of fresh air :rofl:

The way I see it, cigarettes are basically poison. I don't care two hoots if someone wants to slowly poison themselves in the privacy of their own homes or somewhere where it won't affect others. I do care when they insist on doing it in public places where me and my children have to breathe it in.

Lol! You comment on not tarring all smokers with the same "rude" brush, yet no comment on liesje tarring all anti smokers with the same "harassment" brush? And if I am included in your driving comment, I don't drive or own a car so you aren't being forced to breathe in any shit or fumes from me! And there's a few (former?) smokers on this thread who clearly have already decided opinions so it's quite difficult to discuss from this side of the debate too ;)

Clearly I wasnt referring to you as we have conversed back and forth quite well without insulting one another. I was referring to JASMAK because although not aimed directly at me she aimed it at smokers which I am therefore of course I take it personally. I am considerate. I smoke outdoors and if children are near me I walk away. Maybe I didnt comment on Liesje's comment because I am a smoker and I too have experience harassment therefore I agree with her? I am not saying all non smoker harass of course.

Ps I actually do smoke menthol's haha.

Sorry if you are offended I call cigarette smoke 'shit'. It certainly isn't a breath of fresh air. I find it just as rude and disgusting as someones over powerful purfume. Car exhaust is shit...and if we could live in a world without that exhaust shit, Id be all over that. In fact, hubby and I are considering buying an electric car. But, yes, I do believe people have every right to complain about exhaust, cigarette smoke, and other disgusting smells that are not normal or natural to have in the air. They are MY lungs...not anyone elses to destroy. :) No offense, but you are taking this too personally. This is about cigarettes, not just YOU. I dont even know your story, and my responses (besides this one) are NOT aimed at you. Just smokers in general. Lucky for me, smokers are rare in my country, and even more rare in my province, so, I dont have to the smell the shit, except my inconsiderate neighbour who smokes outside, but right next to my kids bedrooms.

Completely agree that people have the right to complain if something annoys them or disgusts them as smoking does to you. In the same breath though smokers should be allowed to complain when they are told they are poisioning themselves and making pther people breathe their shit. I may be taking it personally but sometimes things come across as personal when you are doing the very thing that someone speaks about.

Anyway we all agree not to smoke around children. We just disagree on the break thing...and smoking outside...and smoking in general. Haha

Yup, we'll have to disagree. I think smokers shouldn't smoke around others....period. That is entirely my opinion. :)

What people do in their own time is their business imo

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"