Is my Health Visitor right?

baby D

Joshua and Amelia x
Reaction score
Amelia is now 4 weeks old and generally takes around 3 - 4 oz of milk during the day. However, at night, she seems hungrier and will drain all 4 oz and still be looking for more - this generally doesn't happen in the day as she stops at about 3 1/2 oz.

I mentioned to my Health Visitor that i was going to offer her 5 oz at night as she doesn't seem settled/content after 4 and will wake within 2 and a half to 3 hrs looking for more - she usually goes 4 hrs between feeds! Anyway, she said not to as that is to much milk for a one month old baby and that 4 is plenty till at least 6 - 8 weeks....?

What would you girls do? How much does/did your LO take at around a month old? Am doubting myself now as i don't want to over feed her...

If she is still hungry, and looking for more then I would up her feed to 5oz. All babies are not the same, so it's impossible to put limits on them and say that they must only have a certain amount of milk at a certain age. Your baby will tell you what she needs, and you're her Mum. Mums know best.

You may just have a hungry baby - I'd give her more if she wants it - at worst she'll either have a tummy ache or bring it back up and then you'll know not to do it again! She's your baby and all babies are different - if you think it feels right to do something for her then do it - it's not like you're trying anything dangerous. I'd say go for it and she how she is x

I would give it to her - my mw said you can't overfeed a baby x

i would say give her more if she wants more. i always think mum no's best. from a few weeks old we changed maddi to hungry baby formula and my hv had a right go :dohh: but maddi was sleeping through the night soon after, and is still happy on that x

Hi, Like others have said my HV also told me you couldn't overfeed a baby because they would just bring up what they didn't need.

I would up her feed, if she's still hungry. You know best..your her mummy.

Like I said on your other thread, some HV's are crap and will tell you stuff that is utter nonsense (they are normally the ones who dont have their own children) but like the others have said, if you overfeed her she will vomit and you will know she had too much. My daughter was on 6oz feeds at your LO's age so give her what she wants and see how she goes.

Same as everyone else, just feed her 'til she stops. I breastfeed, i can't tell how much he gets, i just know he takes what he needs and wants. So it seems a little rediculous to me someone would tell you how much to give a baby at a certain age.

my baby used to eat loads in the evening now she sleeps through this has stopped but i didnt let er have it to begin with and then i felt guilty so i gave it her, she was never sick because she was clearly hungry

Lou
xxx

Which formula are you using? My son is on Aptimel and the guidance on the tin for a 4 week old would be 4/5oz 5x a day anyway! Zac was a small baby and never took this much but I would say about 4oz is right on track - some feeds are bigger than others depending on how hungry she is. Hopefully in a few weeks she'll take the biggest feed in the day and start to want less in the night x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abourne499
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->