Is there a big difference between yours and your partners weight?

P

Pandora11

I was wondering if you and partner are drastically different in weight when eating the same diet? (taking into account men have more muscle mass and tend to weigh more anyway)

My DH got into the habit of eating mc donalds for lunch and eating loads of sweets/chocolate(vending machines at work). Until then i wondered why he was gaining so much weight. He didn't like the weight he was and since (18/24months) has been trying to lose it, but it's not working very well. He's lost a couple of lbs and puts it back on... some of it is muscle so we don't analyse the scales too much, but he's gone up three sizes in trousers in this time (which i only realised when we went to buy new suits at the weekend).

Anyway, I cook healthy, we don't drink alcohol much or eat loads of processed/takeaways/greasy food. We eat plenty of fruit/veg, though i do make desserts and bake every now and then. We eat the same foods and i would go as far as saying i eat more food than DH, especially when eating the Desserts/cakes DH will always have half a smaller portion than i have or none at all. He swears he doesn't eat the secret junk food anymore and i believe him as he really wants to be healthy again. He grew up playing rugby and ice hockey but the gym/sporting hobbies are not possible with his long working hours.

When he was gaining the weight he drove everywhere, now he cycles 9 miles (each way) to work. Sometimes he walks the dog with me and he's trying to get on the Wii more. I am unemployed at the moment so the only exercise i get is housework(a lot) and i walk the dog at a quick pace for an hour a day.

So in short, i exercise less and eat more than him yet i sometimes have to try to keep the weight on when i exercise more/or when working. Half the time i worry there's something wrong with me and other times i wonder if i'm feeding DH too much? It's confusing, i wonder if i have a high metabolism and he has a low one? but i don't know how much truth there is in this kinda thing since there's so much conflicting info on the web.

I want to help him get healthy but i dunno how, i'm concerned more because his grandad died young from heart problems and also it effects DH's confidence.

Also, after experiencing this with DH i have much more respect for others struggling with their weight when people say it's as easy as eating less and exercising more when clearly it's not!

Any advice?

Not exactly in the same position but maybe my experience will help.

I am 2 stone heavier than my DH and I hate it! I am really struggling to lose the weight. Yes we all know to lose weight you need to eat healthy foods and exercise more but willpower plays a big part and that's something I find really hard. Plus the fact that I have never had to lose weight before so having to adapt my lifestyle after so many years is a battle.
I would really cut out the cakes and desserts. Support him. Don't get on at him. Deep down he knows what he needs to do and is probably beating himself up enough as it is without having someone on his case (not saying you are, I'm talking from experience) my DH does it, he thinks he is helping but it just makes me feel worse. The only person that can change is him. By support I mean, don't suggest takeaways or buy anything bad which my DH does, suggest to go on bike rides, walking etc like my DH doesn't! Lol!
I would say if there is no change after 4 weeks of eating healthy homemade meals and exercising more then he is either a secret eater, I used to be awful and buy bad things, eat them when my DH was at work and then stuff the packets in the bin so he didn't see and swear to myself and him I haven't had anything bad! Or he needs to go and see a doctor if that's not the case coz there is a problem there. Good luck! Xx

I actually weighed almost the same as my hubby when we first met! Ack. I was heavier than normal and he was lighter- at the time. Now, I think we are more even- as I lost weight and he's gained muscle. He used to do weights as a teenager/young adult- then got more into activities that were cardio, but not weight lifting as much- then he stopped and did gain some weight- so did I during pregnancy- and after, to lose the baby weight (and some extra I'd been wanting to lose)- I did the Loseit app. After my hubby saw the results I was getting- he gave it a go! He lost weight too- pretty quickly (faster than me! Geesh). I think it was good for us both to get a bit healthier with eating too- and have a guideline. As he can eat a lot more than me and still maintain his weight ;)

Maybe give an app like that a try- he could be eating too little. Sometimes our bodies will hold on to stored fat when it thinks we aren't eating enough to maintain. So he may just need to find the right balance to lose weight healthy?

We practically weigh the same now! I've got 1.5 stone to lose and he has stopped training so has lost his muscle mass!

OH weighs half my body weight more than me. We eat the same foods but he eats WAY more than me, he's not fat though, just muscular.

I would try taking a look at your OH's portion sizes if you're eating healthy food and if it's not that he's over eating, I'd have him talk to a doctor about it to rule out a medical cause. Maybe have him look into joining myfitnesspal.com to see how many calories he should be having vs how many he is having each day. He's probably eating too much

I am about 3-4lbs heavier than OH! Did lose 14.2lbs but gained another 2lbs so still have 9lbs to lose.

Although OHs weight changes so much! He can lose 4-5lbs a week and gain it just as quick!

My OH is 110lbs more than me (130lbs & 240lbs) and although he is an athlete, he also has too much popcorn/beer even though he thinks he doesn't. Has he considered calorie counting with a digital scale for a while to start recognizing his portions???

My OH is obese. He's 20 stone. I do wonder if he has a thyroid problem though because also he eats junk he doesn't eat the amount he should eat to have gained so much IMO. But he won't get tested because of a profound fear of needles. But to answer your question, yes, there's an 11 stone weight difference.

My other half's diabetic, type 1.. So genetic rather than lifestyle induced, he's had it since he was 13.

Because of this he's gone on a strict diet, to try to control his sugar levels. The highest weight I've ever seen my other half was 83kg- he was so unhappy.

Now, I weigh 50kg give or take 1-2kg depending on the month....

Three weeks ago, my other half weighed 77.7kg, and ate huge portions of whatever he wanted.

Now he weighs 72kg (very proud, 6kg in 3 weeks), and is still shrinking :) he'll stop at 68kg, though he still has to keep an eye on his carb/sugar intake. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->