Is there a difference between a low lying posterior placenta and placenta previa?

Noodles

Mummy to two boys!
Reaction score
I was told at my 20 week scan that I have a low lying posterior placenta. I'm being scanned again at 36 weeks and I'm seeing the consultant a week on Friday to discuss it. When I google 'low lying posterior placenta' (I know I shouldn't do it) they cross use the term with placenta previa which looks like it can be quite serious.

It says that I should avoid heavy lifting, vacuuming, sex and running. A lot of them say that bed rest is necessary. I feel fine and haven't had any major bleeding. Surely if I was supposed to avoid any of these things the hospital would have mentioned it?

I'm just concerned as I had a large postpartum hemorrhage when I had a 'normal delivery' with my son (I lost 2.5 litres/4.3 pints) and I've been told that if you have had it once then it increases your chances of it happening again.

Any ideas?

Placenta praevia is when the placenta is covering the cervix, though there are various grades 1 to 4, ie just over the edge to completely covering.
Low lying placenta could become a placenta praevia depending on if it moves up as the uterus grows. Most move away from the cervical os by 36 wks. Does it say on your scan how near the cervix it is?

With regards to the haemorrhage....they'd take precautions ie put in a drip, give u drugs to deliver placenta and start an infusion straight after birth if you delivered normally. It doesn't mean you'd have another one but things would be in place just in case xx

She just said that it wasn't totally covering it but didn't give me any more detail than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->