Is There ANY Chance?

weebubba

Reaction score
Long story - short version!

OH and I been TTC for 18 cycles without success and just to make it more difficult he has been put on Fluoxetine! I know this is likely to make it virtually impossible to conceive and if we did it is highly likely to end in miscarriage.

Under normal circumstances we would wait until he was able to come off medication and then resume TTC, however I am rapidly approaching 37 and not sure if waiting 6-12 months is an option or if we should just give up. Does anyone have any success stories of conception and pregnancy under these circumstances?

Feeling a little lost and could use some advice.

Thanks for reading ladies.

Just did a quick google and it seems that you are right to be concerned. Men on SSRIs and other antidepressants seem to have dramatic reduction in sperm count and motility. The good news is that his sperm should go back to normal within a month of discontinuing meds.

I think this is a situation where you two as a couple need to evaluate your needs and priorities, as well as viable alternatives. Are there other options for your hubby such as exercise and cognitive behavioral therapy, or are antidepressants clearly needed. If so, how long are you willing to wait. Also, does it make sense to pursue other options such as IVF?

So sorry to hear that you are in this situation.

Also, for what it is worth, some of us with infertile husbands have opted to use sperm donors, although that adds a whole host of other psychological and legal wild cards to the mix.

Thank you for your reply.

At the moment the meds are the way forward unfortunately. We have already discounted IVF, my doc offered this option a few months ago but we declined - we both have children from previous relationships. I guess im freaked because of my age. OH seems far more distressed by this than me.

Being blessed with children already the icing on the cake would be a child together. For me however it's more important we are together and healthy. If it is meant to happen later I guess it will. It's really frustrating as we have been trying for a little while already.

Thanks again Nimyra.

I understand. It sounds like you are taking a really healthy perspective. Health does come first.

I was worried my reply might come across too harsh, but I also believe that it is more harmful to get ones hopes up against the evidence.

Hopefully you two get a miracle. And you can always make different decisions later.

I used to take Fluoxetine and my dr offered me an alternative for if i was going to TTC while being on my medication, has your OH considered this?

That's next on the list! Hoping to see his doc tomorrow and ask all the relevant questions.

Thanks girls. It's good to get info/opinions/advice from others, I don't feel quite so isolated then.

From what I saw on Dr. Google, all antidepressants have this effect on men, even Wellbutrin even though it isn't an SSRI. They think the antidepressants interfere with sperm moving through the tubes. I doubt switching would do any good and the research is in its infancy so I would be surprised if his doctor knew more than google on this one.

As will all antidepressants there are a lot of factors to balance like how effective it will probably be vs. what side effects is he willing to tolerate.

I don't think the fertility angle for men has been studied like safety for pregnancy and TTC in women has.

What I would be curious about is whether or not the effects appear to be dose-dependent, and if so, could your hubby get away with being on a low dose? I don't know if there is any research on this.

Just out of curiosity, has your hubby had a full medical work up including testosterone levels? Low levels of hormones like testosterone can cause depression and if that's the case, then fixing that would be a huge win-win.

For women, I usually ask about Thyroid levels (TSH between 0.3 and 2.5 is best) which are also linked with depression if they are out of whack.

The meds are for anxiety/panic not depression so don't think it would be testosterone linked. I hope we can get some more info soon. With a bit of luck it will be short term and we've already been told dosage can be halved in a month or so all being well and see how we manage with that.

Poor soul thinks he is letting me down - im grateful he is getting help and hope it will all work out eventually.

Thank you once again for your most helpful advice, it's greatly appreciated.

That sounds like a good plan -- and don't discount how much cognitive behavioral therapy/exposure therapy can help with anxiety/panic attacks -- it has a very high efficacy and no pesky side effects!

I would also ask his doctor about whether or not taking a low dose of Xanax is an alternative to SSRIs for him. I don't know if that affects sperm count or not, but it might be worth asking about.

I can't believe it!!! Been to docs today and it was a stand-in doc for the usual one. No help at all and merely said "I can't help you, you need to speak to your own doctor". Waste of time!

It's difficult enough getting an appointment as it is as they are like gold-dust. Just need to keep trying till we get one I guess.

I suppose it's little things like this that are sent to test us.

:(. How frustrating! Medical care these days is not so good.

I think what the doc really meant was he didn't know. :eyeroll:

Highly likely. Will just go and see regular doctor as soon as we can.

Fluoxitine is more for depression than panic/anxiety. As the other poster said, maybe you should ask about Xanax. You only take it when necessary. It is a very short term med and is in and out of your system in less than a day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->