Is this colic?

malotkins

Reaction score
For the last couple of weeks my 6 week old LO has been having very bad nights. He goes down ok, although does grumble and whimper a lot but does't cry. He has started to practically throw himself around in his moses basket from about 2am, both when he is awake and when he is asleep. His arms and legs are going everywhere and he even hits his face, not hard though. He doesn't cry but makes really loud and painful sounding wimpering and groaning, it cuts right through me. After I feed him he drops off for about half an hour and then it starts again. He is like a child possessed! Could this be colic or could he be having very bad dreams? When I mention it to the doctor and mw they dismiss it as colic before I can begin to explain his thrashing about and the fact it practically lasts all night. We started him i
on colief yesterday although we have had him on dentinox for a good month now. I noticed yesterday that my husband has him practically lying down when he feeds him, could this be the problem? We are both shattered and aside from that it is so upsetting to see him in so much discomfort. Thanks.

I don't think it's colic. Colic means that your LO will be crying for 3 hours or more a few times a week. No matter what you try, your LO will keep crying.

I think your LO is just reacting to his dreams.

Miller does this.........its usually followed by a good 'poo day' ( he may not have poo'd for a couple of days then may do 2 in one day )

Also .....he used to do it when he was trying to trump.

The trumping bit is obviously colic !

My baby had colic. We never said it out loud (until she was much older) and we didn't know any better (don't all babies fuss and cry a lot?). But looking back, she was colicky from 4 week up until 5 1/2 months, when she all of the sudden changed completely.

My daughter also had reflux. When she laid down, the reflux pains would really hurt her. She wouldn't sleep for long periods because of that. We gave her chamomile tea drops and that helped. We also put a small pillow under her mattress so she could sleep at an angle (or bassinet). That helps keep the acid down and helps them sleep. A friend of mine though her baby had colic, and she realized it was acid reflux and then her baby slept in the car seat for a few months until his muscle was stronger.

My baby cried so much, especially at night. Colic isn't a disease or anything you can control. Your baby will be fine. I don't remember learning about such young babies having vivid enough dreams it would wake them and cause them to cry. My daughter nursed constantly through the night until she was about 9 months old. So he or she just may want to be closer to you. He or she may need you. Your baby is so so so young.

Hang in there. See if the doctor might think about acid reflux as a cause for the upset nights.

Colic is unexplained crying (so if you know it's gas, it's not actually colic FYI). There's a decent chance it could be many things, possibly silent reflux (if hubby feeds when laying down that makes it worse). I would suggest swaddling, it sounds like he can't cope with having his limbs free.

Definitely agree a swaddle might help. My LO thrashes around from the moment he lays down to sleep and makes a dozen different cries/whimpers/groans and, what I call, barnyard noises! :haha: His arms flap about and he wakes himself up. He is much quieter and sleeps more soundly in a swaddle.
You don't need to buy a special swaddle, I just use a thinnish brushed cotton sheet or a large enough muslin.

We've been having a horrible time here and I suspected silent reflux, even though midwife and HV suggested colic (it didn't seem like it to me). After following advice from ladies here we raised the head end of his crib, got a slumber bear, and I decided to switch to comfort milk. He's so much better today!

I'd definitely recommend slumber bear for restless babies, and it does sound like a swaddle might help your little person :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->