is this ok?!

DaniMoose

Reaction score
I know i might be slated for starting solids at the minimum amount of weeks but lo seemed ready and has reflux so am only giving him rice atm once a day mid morning about 45 mins after his milk feed.

i originally wanted to start him at 5 months on a mixture of purees and have the karmel book on how to go about the whole solids thang....sooo my q is, will it do any damage just giving him the rice once a day until he is 5 months or shall i just go ahead and start proper purees etc as it says in the books (ie 1 meal for 1 week, 2 on week 2 etc)

I've no idea about givng him just rice for another 4 weeks, I wouldn't think it would hurt but he may get very bored of it!! In a week or 2 you could try mixing a little puree with the rice, just to add a different flavour and get him prepared for a lot more flavours.

As for the karmel book, I used this for my eldest and I'd suggest you use it as a guide and not follow the schedule written down.

I say this as depending on the baby it may take longer than 1 week to accept first tastes and some lo's may be happy to stick with 2 meals a day for longer than a week. I'd see how it's going at the time. Good luck. x

My daughter is a few days younger than yours and has purees with rice she loves them 6 months is only a guideline you do what's best for your baby, I would start to add some fruit to the purée pear is probably the best to start with x

We started at spot on 4 months. LO was ready & I'm glad we did cos he's loved it since the beginning. We started on baby rice for a few days, then just a cube of fruit purée for a few days, then started some basic single veg purées & mixed fruit in the rice. We just went on trying new veg & different combinations, leaving 3 days between new foods to check for reactions. He had one 'meal' for a couple of weeks, then had 2 up until 5 & half months when I started to give him a very small third 'meal'.

We did the same with Jessica and started adding rice a purees at 4 months due to her reflux (in addition to normal milk feeds). We would give her baby porridge and ellas kitchen pureed fruit (she loved this). Just pay attention to how his nappies are - you will soon find if something isn't agreeing with him.

Jessica adored the Ella's Kitchen strawberry and banana puree. However, some people don't recommend strawberries until a bit later in life due to allergies. Neither me or my partner suffer any kind of allergy so we thought we would give it a go and she did brilliantly on it.

I started weaning at 18 weeks, so far we are experimenting with different purees & still on one meal a day. So far we've tried:

Rice
Apple
Banana
Sweet Potatoe
Carrott

Got Brocoli tomorrow - not sure how that will go down!

I started weaning at 18 weeks, so far we are experimenting with different purees & still on one meal a day. So far we've tried:

Rice
Apple
Banana
Sweet Potatoe
Carrott

Got Brocoli tomorrow - not sure how that will go down!

Try mixing it with some carrot if he doesn't like it, in trying my daughter on broccoli next when I have room in the freezer to make lore purees x

It wont do any harm giving him just baby rice for a few weeks. I didnt go by the books as i was weaning early, i just took my time! Im sure he'll let you know when its not enough for him :)

It wont do any harm giving him just baby rice for a few weeks. I didnt go by the books as i was weaning early, i just took my time! Im sure he'll let you know when its not enough for him :)

I am weaning early so I am only giving one meal a day at the moment & trying purees for 2 or 3 days before introducing a new one. Is this similar to what you did?

phew thanks girls...puts my mind at rest :D
I'll keep him on the rice until the weekend when we do our shop...how exciting lol

If something doesn't agree with him...what will his poops be like? If its runny, i probably won't tell th difference as he has breastmilk and they have always been runny!
So far with the rice he has gone from 1 poop a day to a couple and they smell ricey lol

I am weaning early so I am only giving one meal a day at the moment & trying purees for 2 or 3 days before introducing a new one. Is this similar to what you did?

Yes it is exactly what i done, or sometimes id do 2 purees and do alternate days for a few days so he would have something different but not alot that you cant monitor it :) if you need anymore advice feel free to PM me :)

Tried Brocoli today, she had a few spoonfuls but wasn't that fussed!!

My LO had banana and strawberry purée today she loved it x

i'm expecting him to love sweet stuff because he has ebm...not to mention i am a cake monster myself lol

If he doesn't like veggies ill mix em with fruit.....

what about sweetcorn?! i havent seen anything about it pureed anywhere

Sweetcorn is ok to give them I bet sweetcorn and carrot is lovely x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back