Is this typical?

Jewels

Wife & Aussie Mommy!
Reaction score
I'm really quite pissed. I kept thinking all this time that the company I work for provided 3 months paid maternity leave. Well in reviewing my benefits this morning, I found out that it's 3 months UNPAID. Is this typical in the U.S.? Or do my benefits just SUCK?!?!?!?! :hissy:

mmmmmmmmmm im in the uk and we get 6 months so i think that sounds a bit little tbh , tho im not in the us so im unsure

I hope u get better news

Well in talking with hubby, apparently it's typical - I guess I was just expecting too much! He gets one month paid paternity leave, so at least he'll be getting some money for the month he takes off...

God that's awful. Where I live in ex-communist land we get 2 years paid maternity. I thought America was supposed to be a great country? :shock:

It is frustrating.. In speaking with my stepmother from Hungary (my dad is from Hungary as well), she says that most women there can take up to two years off and come back to their jobs! If I took off more than the 12 weeks, they likely wouldn't hold my job.

We make a decent living together, but just wish I could be a full time stay at home mom and take care of our future baby. Right now I don't think it's financially possible, but hopefully one of these days! :rofl:

God that's awful. Where I live in ex-communist land we get 2 years paid maternity. I thought America was supposed to be a great country? :shock:

Yes this is exactly what my stepmother from Hungary told me! Like you say America is supposed to be great, but when it comes to the healthcare situation, we're being seriously shafted! :hissy:

I'm really quite pissed. I kept thinking all this time that the company I work for provided 3 months paid maternity leave. Well in reviewing my benefits this morning, I found out that it's 3 months UNPAID. Is this typical in the U.S.? Or do my benefits just SUCK?!?!?!?! :hissy:

Yeah Jewels I think's it typical. You get 12 weeks under FMLA but it is unpaid. But you should be able to use your sick time and vacation time during that time. Also, you should be able to file for short term disability, which is about $170 a week.

God that's awful. Where I live in ex-communist land we get 2 years paid maternity.

I thought America was supposed to be a great country? :shock:
Oh, don't even get me started!!! :rofl:

2 years paid?!?!?!?!?! OH MY!!!! Nope, just 12 weeks unpaid here but you can use sick, vacation and disability. I think you get 8 weeks for a vaginal delivery and 12 for a C-section - but you CAN be out for up to 6 months (unpaid of course) and still have your position secure.

Im moving to Hungary!!!

12 weeks is nothing.

I feel for you girls in the US :hug:

In Canada, we get a year. We are able to go on EI while we are on mat leave, but it is up to the company if they pay us any extra or not.
My mom said when I was born, she had 4 months.

I'm beginning to think that hubby and I should move to Europe! :rofl:

Im from Canada and we get 1 year paid (sort of). We basically get unemployment for the year we are off which gives you 60% of your income tax free. We pay about 21% of each of our paychecks in income taxes. Its not a full paycheck, but enough to get by on - maybe not so much if you are a single parent. Also we get parental leave not materinty leave, so dad could take all or part of the year instead of mom if thats what the family decides. When I heard that the US only gets 3 months i couldn't beleive it. Who in the world is ready to go back to work after 3 months, its rediculous. Its crazy how different our countries are when i can be in the USA in an hour and a half drive.

Im from Canada and we get 1 year paid (sort of). We basically get unemployment for the year we are off which gives you 60% of your income tax free. We pay about 21% of each of our paychecks in income taxes. Its not a full paycheck, but enough to get by on - maybe not so much if you are a single parent. Also we get parental leave not materinty leave, so dad could take all or part of the year instead of mom if thats what the family decides. When I heard that the US only gets 3 months i couldn't beleive it. Who in the world is ready to go back to work after 3 months, its rediculous. Its crazy how different our countries are when i can be in the USA in an hour and a half drive.

I completely agree. DH actually wants me to take 6 months off! So, that would be very cool if we could swing that. My position would be secure but I'd have to rely solely on disability at that point.

My hubby only gets 2 weeks paid pat leave so I guess thats not so bad, but the 3 month thing does suck babe? surely you can get other help financially?
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Oh, don't even get me started!!! :rofl:

2 years paid?!?!?!?!?! OH MY!!!! Nope, just 12 weeks unpaid here but you can use sick, vacation and disability. I think you get 8 weeks for a vaginal delivery and 12 for a C-section - but you CAN be out for up to 6 months (unpaid of course) and still have your position secure.

So I could take off 6 months unpaid even though my company only offers 3 months unpaid? Is that correct? Is it required by law that they would hold my position for 6 months? I really would want to be with the baby as long as possible..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->